Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Dimmer2 for ceiling fan

Tiwas

Question

Hi guys,

I currently have a ceiling light with a dimmer2. In the next few days I will be exchanging this with a ceiling fan. I'm hoping you can help me out with this.

Currently I have just one Dimmer2 in the wall where I have access to all the wires and can follow the three wire diagram. In the connection box in the ceiling I only have access to two of these. I want to use a dimmer to both control the fan speed and the lights, but fan speed is most important.

There are two main options, one with three sub-options and the other with 2.

1.1 I can connect both my Dimmer2's in the ceiling box using the two-wire diagrams to be able to control both the light and fan speed. I will then only be able to control them using my controller, but the wall switch will function as a "master off" (preferred)

1.2 I can connect only the fan to the wires in the ceiling and control them using the Dimmer2. I can then use the three-wire connection in the wall. I will not have light with this setup.

1.3 I can use the Dimmer2 with the three wire connection in the wall and connect it to both the fan and light phase, but I will then have to turn the light on/off using the controls on the fan itself. (not preferred - I don't believe this is neither safe nor practical)

Or,

2.1 Pay a ¤&%#load to have an electrician come up here and run another wire from the wall box up to the ceiling box to have two phases in the ceiling. I can then control two Dimmer2s using the three wire connection, but only through my controller

2.2 Pay even more to the electrician to come up here and run three wires up to the ceiling box (might not be space for that many wires inside the "tube" in the wall) to connect both Dimmer2s using the three wire connection AND get a wall switch for both of them

Could someone offer me some advice here? I guess running a fan motor and LED lights on the same dimmer, when the dimmer can only be calibrated for both light and fan on (not "light on, fan off" and "light off, fan on"). As I understand it, mixed loads are not good either.

Cheers!

6 answers to this question

The dimmer 2 manual lists compatible loads and a ceiling fan isn't one of them.

You haven't said what type of fan, is it a 3 switch position fan, or continuously variable? As far as I know, there isn't a simple solution for zwave control of 3 position fans. It could be done using two fibaro double switches (the version with dry contacts).

Haven't investigated control of the continuously variable type, not as common here in Australia. 

• Like 2

Fan cannot be controlled by dimmer , this is common knowledge to all electricians. You will burn out your dimmer and possibly overload the contacts, possible melting -fire.  Dont start this DIY project if you are not qualified ......

Contact an electrician who is familiar with zwave solutions.

• Inquirer
  • 49 minutes ago, Tim__ said:

The dimmer 2 manual lists compatible loads and a ceiling fan isn't one of them.

You haven't said what type of fan, is it a 3 switch position fan, or continuously variable? As far as I know, there isn't a simple solution for zwave control of 3 position fans. It could be done using two fibaro double switches (the version with dry contacts).

Haven't investigated control of the continuously variable type, not as common here in Australia. 

It's a three position fan, but with the manufacturer's wall control it can be be continuously dimmed. With the remote it can be remote controlled as a three position fan. The one with two fibaro switches will be as (even more) expensive than the original. I might instead go for a switch that can turn it on/off, but control it from a wall dimmer. I like being able to at least turn it off remotely (as part of my "all off" routine). Z-wave dimming was only a bonus.

Do you know if the fibaro switch will be able to do so?

20 minutes ago, MARCUSP.I.L said:

Fan cannot be controlled by dimmer , this is common knowledge to all electricians. You will burn out your dimmer and possibly overload the contacts, possible melting -fire.  Dont start this DIY project if you are not qualified ......

Contact an electrician who is familiar with zwave solutions.

Well, obviously all electricians do not, if you catch my drift. And I've yet to meet an electrician familiar with z-wave. I'm sure some are, but the favored home automation among Norwegian electricians is xComfort.

Yes, you can wire the Fibaro Relay Switch (FGS-212) so that it just turns the fan on and off.  If it's off, you won't be able to use the fan's remote to turn it on though.  You would need to use the fibaro app.  You would control the fan speed using the 3 way switch on the wall.

• Like 1

• Inquirer
  • 1 minute ago, Tim__ said:

Yes, you can wire the Fibaro Relay Switch (FGS-212) so that it just turns the fan on and off.  If it's off, you won't be able to use the fan's remote to turn it on though.  You would need to use the fibaro app.  You would control the fan speed using the 3 way switch on the wall.

Thanks - I'll look into that. Will it handle the mixed load of LED lights along with the motor? I'm aware that it will only function as a power on/off to the unit, in this case, and that all functions must be switched using the remote or pull strings.

yes, the Relay Switch will handle a mixed load up to the Amps rating of the device (check that in the manual).