Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

HC3 dead after update

einstein

Question

I bought a HC3 and after installation I could login. The page that scanned for devices was dead - only error text on the page. Strange but I could carry on. It stated there was an update available so I pushed the update button. It installed and automatically rebooted the device. After that it didn't boot up. Multiple red status leds... I waited a while but it never came up. So I tried to enter recovery mode (15 sec power button followed by recovery button) but it did not enter that mode either. I tried many times but no result. Wow. 

I am very disappointed in the Fibaro HC3. A new device that does not work. The page used for installation was in error and the forum all but dead. I see a trend here. I went for Fibaro HC3 because my Zipabox was very badly supported by Zipato. I wanted something better and thought that Fibaro - with all their great devices - would be that change. Well, I guess I was wrong.

I live in the Netherlands where it is possible to get a full refund. I don't want a replacement. 

Very, very disappointed.

12 answers to this question

4 hours ago, einstein said:

I bought a HC3 and after installation I could login. The page that scanned for devices was dead - only error text on the page. Strange but I could carry on. It stated there was an update available so I pushed the update button. It installed and automatically rebooted the device. After that it didn't boot up. Multiple red status leds... I waited a while but it never came up. So I tried to enter recovery mode (15 sec power button followed by recovery button) but it did not enter that mode either. I tried many times but no result. Wow. 

I am very disappointed in the Fibaro HC3. A new device that does not work. The page used for installation was in error and the forum all but dead. I see a trend here. I went for Fibaro HC3 because my Zipabox was very badly supported by Zipato. I wanted something better and thought that Fibaro - with all their great devices - would be that change. Well, I guess I was wrong.

I live in the Netherlands where it is possible to get a full refund. I don't want a replacement. 

Very, very disappointed.

How did your supplier reacted when you told him about your problem?

I am in the Netherlands too, and when i bought my HC2 (few years ago) it was a DOA too.

Ofc i was disappointed too because i wanted to start immediately, but i called the supplier and he fixed it fast by replacing it with a new one. (next day delivery)

The new unit i have is running without any issues for years now.

Altho i understand your reaction, dont judge a product only based on a DOA. It can happen.

Good luck!

Remi

Edited by Remi
  • Like 1

• Inquirer
  • Thanks for the replies guys. My supplier did not react because I did not file a support call but an RMA. I will return it ASAP.

And for the record, it was not DOA. I know DOA's can happen. Usually because of bad power units. DOA = Dead On Arrival. That is not the case here. It worked fine on arrival only to die after update. I have lot's of devices that get firmware updates and not one of them did ever die from the update. This can only happen if QA is not handled like it should. The malfunction is because of human error. 

I really thought this through, but I don't want a device that has a serious risk of dying after an update. I want a stable z-wave network that I can really count on. 

Besides that, I went through the forum and the fact that Zigbee and other functionality is moved to 2021 (or later) is not very promising either.

Edited by einstein

17 minutes ago, einstein said:

... I want a stable z-wave network that I can really count on. 

Besides that, I went through the forum and the fact that Zigbee and other functionality is moved to 2021 (or later) is not very promising either.

(btw I don’t connect Zigbee with reliability)

Which z-wave platform do you think is more reliable than Fibaro? 

Edited by SmartHomeEddy

• Inquirer
  • I wanted a HC3 because of the great compatibility. It's not very promising if the company moves functionality that should have been there from the start in the first place for more than a year. 

And I use Z-wave devices for all places that must rely on stability. But for something like temp sensors I don't need Z-wave. They are way too expensive.

Edited by einstein

• Inquirer
  • 17 minutes ago, SmartHomeEddy said:

I am trying to find that out now.

@einstein I understand what you are saying and I also understand why you have made up your mind. I would have done things differently, eg give the seller a chance to treat this as a DOA anyway (I agree strictly speaking he could argue "that is not a DOA because you updated it" - LOL). But it is about your perception of quality.

So I am only going to comment on the more general questions.

30 minutes ago, einstein said:

I want a stable z-wave network that I can really count on. 

After running a 100 node network I formulated my "Rules Of Thumb"

Less than 5 modules, sometimes issues because not enough devices to cover all areas. Between 5 and 20...almost never issues. Between 20  and  50... sometimes trouble. Between 50 and 100 devices real "weirdness" starts and communication gets "fragile". Above 100 make sure you have the tools to diagnose network issues (ie Zniffer, you can make one yourself) or get in touch with a good certified installer to support you (I am and end user, not an installer). Know about CPU and memory usage, know how to limit device reporting and sending too much data. Follow this forum. I have participated in many topics regarding "delays" and it is never easy...

If you are in the "danger" category, this post is an excellent starting point.

27 minutes ago, einstein said:

But for something like temp sensors I don't need Z-wave. They are way too expensive.

I agree,  Xiaomi Aqara sensors < 15 EUR and less if you import them. Good for sensing.

OTOH if you want to control temperature, I would recommend thermostats for performance and reliability.

I was debating the availability of "affordable" simple Z-Wave devices based on the ZW700 SoC about 30 minutes ago (PM with a bunch of guys who are passionate about home automation). I argued that it is probably not going to happen soon due to the price of the SoC. Maybe Fibaro has enough bargaining power to make it happen.

50 minutes ago, SmartHomeEddy said:

(btw I don’t connect Zigbee with reliability)

Homey Pro if you don't need LUA? 

• Inquirer
  • I will test a HomeSeer HomeTroller-SEL PRO Smart Home Hub for a few weeks. It works locally, is reliable but lacks Zigbee. Oh well, I'll try first.

Thanks for your replies guys. I wish you all the best. I will still use Fibaro devices, just not the controller.

Take care!