Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Should I buy HC3

Roobrother

Question

Hey Guys

Newbie here

The new HC3 is now available for purchase in Australia. 

After reading this forum for a bit, Im a bit concerned that this product is not what it seems. ie a lot of its features are postponed till next year. I have also noticed that some features for HC2 are still not available.

Do you think if I  just stick to z-wave, I should be okay. Not planning on too many devices, maybe 30-40

Interested in your thoughts as HC3 isnt cheap 

Thanks 

JP

Edited by Roobrother
spelling stupidity

20 answers to this question

Guest fat

I won’t be upgrading until it is more stable. I saw that they went on sale in Australia a few days ago but considering there were some features for HC2 that were promised and never delivered or not delivered properly I’ve decided to wait

Also HC2 is quite stable now and I’m not sure I want to trade that in for something that is alpha/beta stage of development that in my case won’t provide me with any benefit

• Inquirer
  • @fat Thanks for getting back to me...

29 minutes ago, fat said:

I won’t be upgrading until it is more stable. I saw that they went on sale in Australia a few days ago but considering there were some features for HC2 that were promised and never delivered or not delivered properly I’ve decided to wait

Also HC2 is quite stable now and I’m not sure I want to trade that in for something that is alpha/beta stage of development that in my case won’t provide me with any benefit

I was thinking of HC2 but z wave + is important to me

It depends on what you want to do with the HC3 and how many effort you want to invest. I think from your post you don’t own a device yet. If you doubt  between buying a HC2 or a HC3, then I would do the HC3. There is more “future” in the HC3. 

Hi,
    if you start from scratch the HC3 would be the better choice. But keep in mind that many things are not working as to expect in the current state, but you can workaround.

When you want to migration from HC2 to HC3 you should wait. If this is the case you installation, scripts and so on will be messed up and nothing works as before.

From my PoV the HC3 was released to early. But smarthome is alltime special journey, HC3 will be a good invest into future if Fibaro improves their software.

• Like 1

This was the Q ?

Should I buy HC3

Answer - No not just yet - most of it doesn't work... 

.. but it has potential

.. but so did HC2 and never reached it...

Fibaro has inadequate development resource...

Update 23 July:

Can I just say that having spent some time with HC3 I'm very enthused about the quality of the product so far.  Yes it's missing promised feature and, based on history, I don't have huge confidence in Fibaro delivering in a timely fashion. But it's nice so far .. just incomplete.

However updates emerge regularly , one today, although no notes as to the changes.

The inclusion of MQTT support, which works well,  is a huge milestone in opening up HC to other devices plus the opportunities that Quick Applications now offer are great.

Promising .. but cautious still

Edited by xAPPO

Hello to Australia

I switched from the "homee" to the HC3 and have now installed 96 z-wave devices.
    All other devices run fine for me except for Qubino's.
    As far as the functionality of the HC3 is concerned, some things are certainly faulty and some are missing.
    For me, an alarm system, smoke alarm system, roller shutter control, heating monitoring, room heat control and light control runs great.
    Some things took a little while to get going (missing documentation and resources).
    The biggest problem is that there is little that can help and know the HC3 well. (To new)
    If you know LUA and have already done a lot with it, you should get 80% of your applications up and running.
    You have the advantage that English is your mother tongue, I first have to laboriously translate everything in my head or with Google (This text is why SORRY)
    A lot of it is a bit tricky and you have to read a lot to solve the problem, but usually you can find a solution.
    If you have no special requirements for the HC3, I would always rely on the HC3 even if it is expensive.
    If you have little desire for innovations and your HC2 runs satisfactorily, wait.
    I agree with the others, things are going a bit slow and the HC3 is still in the Betta Stadium but I can manage.
    I don't think the Fibaro has enough capacity to develop, but now they have to serve the people of NICE and thereby free up capacities for the rest.
    Greetings from Germany
    Frank

• Like 2

Morning,

I've just picked up my HC3 as an old HC2 user here in Au.

It's got some way to go, but if you are going to be sticking with Fibaro, and the controller you are looking at upgrading isn't mission critical, then I would suggest getting one whenever you can afford it, Oh and make sure you will have some time to get to know it.

I have replaced the HC2 in my home as it was getting unpredictable, it's local, and it isn't mission critical to me. The old unit was unreliable enough that even if it isn't fully functional it will be less stress. My Home HC2 was very old though.

The one at the farm I will wait until things are improved, and more is implemented and stable before upgrading as it controls some high end kit, I'm very comfortable with it, I have some complex scenes that I will need to rewrite, and I use it remote.

The hardest part for me is recreating my old, and developing new scenes, block and LUA have both changed, and learning how not to do what you are used to, in conjunction with not knowing if something is fully implemented yet, is super painful at times.

Downsides for me ;

Having no Google integration is painful, I became very used to asking little miss to turn my lights on and off or run a scene. It's not working and is supposed to be.Got it working ;)

It is still riddled with annoying things. A lot of the functionality isn't all there yet.

It is basically the old roller coaster that some of us are used to,  the dizzying highs and the terrifying lows, of expectation v reality.

Upsides;

Transfer of most devices was pretty painless for me. I had to tweak a few and remove/add a couple of weird bits I have.

Each new release and update is exciting again. ( what will be fixed what will be broken )

Speed & range are vastly improved. The HC3 is, comparative to my old unit, super responsive and the additional range of the upgraded chipset is welcomed.

The new interface is .. painful, but only took a short while for me to get comfortable with and I think of that as an improvement now.

The future of the unit is pretty solid, once we all start to get onboard with it and start pushing it, it will be a killer unit.

As with the old one, Fibaro aren't going to win a lot of fanboi's until the community starts to make it into something special.

That's my 2¢

Cheers,

al.

Edited by alandee
    Google is now working.
    • Like 1

I have no experience, but if I had the change, I would buy the HC3. As mentioned above it can handle more load and it is faster.

I started with home automation 1,5 year ago and I almost tripled the number of devices originally planned and I would like to add a few dozen more. With that in mind, go for the HC3.

There are some bugs, but the community is really fantastic and willing to help out when problems or challenges arise.

A very happy HC2 user :) 

Can somebody explain me why is the HC3 better than HC2 if I want to use ONLY Z-Wave network? 
    Is any important functions/features, etc. wich only in HC3 available? (I don’t care Zigbee, Wifi, etc.)

Edited by nadtom

23 minutes ago, nadtom said:

Can somebody explain me why is the HC3 better than HC2 if I want to use ONLY Z-Wave network?

I think the biggest advantage is it zw500 chipset, so better reach.

But also quad core with automatic recovery function.

More future proof.
    I think the more experienced HC3 users on the forum can add much more reasons for a HC3.

Myself switched from HCL to HC3, never owned a HC2.

Have a look here.

Please login or register to see this link.

38 minutes ago, nadtom said:

Is any important functions/features, etc. wich only in HC3 available? (I don’t care Zigbee, Wifi, etc.)

Just for the future, new updates etc.

The hc3 is a liitle bit faster but not a giant leap forward.

But if you want to buy one is better to choose hc3

I don't care about zigbee either, i rather see a good ikea and plugwise plugin.

11 minutes ago, Flash said:

I think the biggest advantage is it zw500 chipset, so better reach.

But also quad core with automatic recovery function.

More future proof.
    I think the more experienced HC3 users on the forum can add much more reasons for a HC3.

Myself switched from HCL to HC3, never owned a HC2.

Have a look here.

Please login or register to see this link.

Thank you. I tested the range of HC2 it is more than enough, mesh network working fine. 
    I have checked the Vesternet comparison but I cannot find any important features of HC3 (same number of max. supported devices).

I think the main question how long will be the HC2 supported by Fibaro. 

10 minutes ago, akatar said:

Just for the future, new updates etc.

The hc3 is a liitle bit faster but not a giant leap forward.

But if you want to buy one is better to choose hc3

I don't care about zigbee either, i rather see a good ikea and plugwise plugin.

I have a HC2 and a Zipabox2 with Zwave modul. I test them because my new house is under construction so I need a good smart home solution. I’m not an old HC2 user but I’m satisfied with HC2 and until now didn’t find a reason to upgrage to HC3. 
    I tested the HA, OH, Iobroker but they are to DIY solution for me.?

@nadtom if you go for zwave only. buy a hc2 or hc3. they a superb with zwave

if you want lots of different things, zwave, ikea etc. try homeseer

zipabox is just like homey, not worth to look at it twice

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, akatar said:

@nadtom if you go for zwave only. buy a hc2 or hc3. they a superb with zwave

if you want lots of different things, zwave, ikea etc. try homeseer

zipabox is just like homey, not worth to look at it twice

The zipabox2 is not bad, it is a “young generation” with good possibilities and with few problems (but depeloper working on it). I know a property developer they installed more 1000 pcs (Zipatile, Zipabox). 

i bought the HC3 about 2 Months ago, after using the HC2 for about 3 years. Till today i am so glad that i never "imported" my hc2 devices to this piece of Hardware with Betasoftware installed.

So many things just dont work anymore. the biggest mistake (IMHO) was to "kill" the VD´s and Plugins and replace it with the more or less useless QuickApp´s. I cannot design a QuickApp wich will look like i want it on my mobile it is just not possible to make something from scratch (buttons, labels, sliders ect). Its ok on the browser but i need my homeautomation mostly when i am not at home so this is a BIG no go for me.

I hope Fibaro wil fixe some of these in the future but for the moment i am a very disapointed customer :(

• Like 2

I would say NO, don't do it!!! It's terrible. I am pretty shocked they have released an 'upgrade' that seems to be worse than the HC2 in almost every way. 

The UI looks worse and is hard to navigate compared to the HC2.
    You can no longer use the imo much better mobile app, plus the new app does not work correctly on tablets. I thought the whole point of this was to have a complete home automation system. It's hardly complete when you cannot use tablets correctly to control your home anymore.

Half my stuff stops working for no reason. I never had any issues with this using the HC2. The app will say my lights are on, but they are not. So it is somehow giving false readings.
    My imported icons no longer work.
    The issues already mentioned with old scenes no longer working and the new QuickApps being inferior to  what we previously had.
    ect ect....

Another very disappointed customer. Ive been with Fibaro for 5 years and i am debating if i should try something else or not, or if i should just re-import everything back to my HC2.

• Like 3

Was just briefly toying with upgrading to an HC3 after some network anomalies and annoyances with HUE only being able to be VD even with an automation bridge.

Reading above....I should not move to HC3...

• I have had my HC2 for a year or two, but recently moved into the dream home - not heaps to move but more and more daily. Sounds like not a smooth transition? I should either stop working on things till getting the HC3 or just stick with this?
    • I have put a lot of effort into some pretty shmick personal icons. I tried them in the new app and as they are white + transparency they don't do much. I see from Produno you cant use the old app and the icons are *abuse*?
    • Car play looks good - open my garage doors from the car etc - does it work?
    • Yes you can have Hue as a 'proper' device, but Tonik says these quick apps dont work?
    • It looks like the other protocols would open up doors, but few were live on launch right?

So are these concerns still valid? Any fresh opinions on the HC3, especially vs HC2 and looking at a migration pathway?

Edited by MrNoTip

To update on my last post. The updates seem to come pretty slow, which is a shame.

I am still not a fan of the UI compared to the UI of the HC2, though it has improved since my last reply.
    The last time I checked you still cannot add new Icons.
    At least now we have a new app for use with tablets, although its still in early phases.
    I still have issues with things not working correctly or all of a sudden losing connection and never being able to reconnect.

I also see they have released the HCL3. That supports Zwave 700 whereas the HC3 only supports Zwave 500 and is meant to be the more expensive complete unit.
    I also feel Fibaro spend way too much time working on new products instead of making sure the ones they have work fluently enough.