Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Fibaro RGBW vs RGBW 2 Comparison

alex88

Question

I bought a couple of RGBW 2 modules to test out and have come across a number of "features" that I'm hoping someone can confirm:

1. There appears to be no option for momentary switch plus rainbow mode form a single wall switch

Where I have RGBW strips I guess I can connect to IN4 (by setting parm 150 to HSB and White mode) and control only the white channel from the wall switch and then control colours from Alexa, scenes or the BUI / Mobile interface.

2. The way the RGBW 2 seems to work, when turning them on/off, is different to the RGB.

You can change the colour value of the R, G, B and W channels but unless you ALSO change the value of the brightness channel (ie the value of the module itself), nothing happens, so presumably to turn a light on to a specific brightness you need to set the value and the colour (RGB or W). If you leave the value (brightness) set at a specific value, which I never do, then you could just toggle a single colour channel to turn the light on/off ie control the light through a single parameter.

With the RGBW 1 module it was much easier. You just set the device to remember the last colour and then changed the value ie you could treat the RGBW module as Dimmer or Switch/Relay by turning it on/off with a specific brightness value or 0 to set to off.

Now it requires a minimum of two parms to be sent each time to turn a light on to a specific colour and brightness. 

The end result, an update to all LUA lighting code is required!

3. Custom program feature is disabled. I have read on the forum that this is being resolved....

4. Inclusion / exclusion of device by triple click from wall switch no longer works. This took me far to long to work out. Now you have to triple click on the little button on the device itself. 

There is a new QR code option, but presumably only for the HC3 and presumably this only for inclusion, so the day that you decide to upgrade to a new box and if you decide to do a clean build you'll need to remove all your wall switch covers to access the button on the device... why did you do this Fibaro?? @A.Socha?

So, I guess to get onto the 500 chipset we have to take two steps forward and in my case it feels like 3 steps backwards, as I am not going to rip holes in walls to add extra switches to control RGBW lights the way I could with the FIbaro RGBW 1 module. Of course this is not an issue for a new installation, however it's not much fun for existing long standing customers like me.

Edited by alex88

9 answers to this question

31 minut temu, alex88 napisał:

4. Inclusion / exclusion of device by triple click from wall switch no longer works. This took me far to long to work out. Now you have to triple click on the little button on the device itself. 

There is a new QR code option, but presumably only for the HC3 and presumably this only for inclusion, so the day that you decide to upgrade to a new box and if you decide to do a clean build you'll need to remove all your wall switch covers to access the button on the device... why did you do this Fibaro?? @A.Socha?

3 click must work - for all controlers (vera, hc2, Hc3, HCL etc)

New QR it is for smart start (device it support, Hc2 and HC3 not) i got that in future for Hc3 but you dont need that to include device to Hc2 or Hc3

Please login or register to see this image.

/monthly_2020_07/obraz.png.6fa2c1dbc19f6644252106633c63b5f9.png" />

Please login or register to see this link.

• Inquirer
  • 12 minutes ago, A.Socha said:

3 click must work - for all controlers (vera, hc2, Hc3, HCL etc)

I read that in the manual. It says "service button".... Unless I bought dodgy modules, the triple click from wall switch did not work.

Yes, if you triple click on the service button on the module itself it works, but when I triple click from the wall switch i.e. triple click IN1, the broadcast frame is not sent from the device i.e. no packet is detected by my zniffer, so the device will never be able to include/exclude unless you triple click on the device service button.

@A.SochaAm I correct, or did I get 2x dud modules?

I dont see info that including is working from pressing  IN1 in manual (that way it not work and that is not a bug)

Please login or register to see this image.

/monthly_2020_07/obraz.png.87c60dfd8532815de76b77dc195ba761.png" />

• Inquirer
  • Please look to the heading of this post "Fibaro RGBW vs RGBW 2 Comparison"

I am comparing how the Fibaro RGBW modules work vs the Fibaro RGBW 2.

I guess from your responses that my assertions are correct. Thanks for getting back promptly!

ok then yes that is a difference and it was our intention (to low space on chip to add that function)

• Inquirer
  • 44 minutes ago, A.Socha said:

ok then yes that is a difference and it was our intention (to low space on chip to add that function)

Thank you for confirming.

@A.Socha

I have also found a 3x bugs. I'm running 4.560 on both HC2. 

Please login or register to see this attachment.

The top device is a Fibaro RGBW, the bottom (Slave device) is a Fibaro RGBW 2.

I notice that the BUI does not refresh to reflect changes accurately. 

This happens when you click a wall switch to change a colour or brightness of an independent device. It also happens when the colour or brightness is changed via association and also vie device grouping i.e. a change via the BUI.

You can see from the pasted image that the top device colour was changed in the BUI, but the bottom device does not reflect the change despite the actual device changing in colour in real life.

1) Is this a known bug?

I have also noticed another bug that (from very minimal testing so far) only happens view the BUI with device groupings whereby the updates are inconsistent. 

The slave (in the device grouping) is not always responding to changes from the master, whereas so far device associations seem to work correctly.

2) Is this a known bug?

Finally, and this is the clincher. When both the master (RGBW) and slave (RGBW 2) are off and I select a colour e.g. blue from the BUI, the slave seems to respond barring the issue in 2) above where sometimes it just doesn't respond, however if I select the White channel from the master the slave does not respond other than if the brightness was already set above zero on the slave, in which case the White channel does turn on for the slave, but only to the preset brightness level, not to the level selected on the master.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

In the image above you can see that I set brightness on the salve to 33. When both devices where off and I then selected 255 for the white channel on the master, the white channel and brightness were not updated on the slave, however the slave led DID turn on, from a visual check, to about 33 brightness.

3) Is this a known bug?

Presumably some of these issues would go away if both master and slave where RGBW 2.... ???

Edited by alex88
    • Like 1

Sorry can't help you, please use support I only know about the reported problems in HC3

• Inquirer
  • 3 hours ago, alex88 said:

I have also found a 3x bugs. I'm running 4.560 on both HC2. 

3 hours ago, A.Socha said:

Sorry can't help you, please use support I only know about the reported problems in HC3

HC2 buddy, not HC3....

I know I raised some bugs, but the overriding question is still open. Is it ok to associate and group an RGBW (master) with an RGBW 2 (slave)?

Regarding the bugs, I'll send an email to support and see what they come back with.

• Inquirer
  • 23 hours ago, alex88 said:

Is it ok to associate and group an RGBW (master) with an RGBW 2 (slave)?

The rgbw 2 manual says that it is possible.....