Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Impossible to update 3.4 on FGS223

Maes

Question

Hi,

So I have about 6x FGS223. I bought a HC Lite just so I could update these modules to the new 3.4 firmware.

The process is incredibly tedious and impossible to complete!

I have managed to update 1 of the modules, it took about 6 hours (!!). It took me multiple days to somehow get the firmware to install on this module after it kept telling me it failed immediately every single time.

A combination of resetting, hard reconfiguration and read configuration finally let me update the software. And yes, I have the HC Line antenna physically touching the antenna of the module (it's ridiculous that for an OTA update I have to pull open the switches in the walls everywhere). 

Now I have 5x FGS223 left and I can not for the life of me figure out how to update them. The update process just always hangs on "Downloading...". No process bar, nothing.

Here is a screenshot of a module I've got going right now for 11 hours. I've been at it since last friday. 

I also had a module that was going for almost 40 hours. I cancelled it in the end. 

Please, if anyone knows what I'm doing wrong or has any tips on completing this update I would be forever grateful. 

Please login or register to see this image.

/monthly_2020_08/image.png.88824a7606fb8628da03c2e7810812c3.png" />

image.png.de082e568dd897c9d6ebd0d9a31ebffb.png

Edited by Maes

14 answers to this question

Hi.

The same thing happened to me on 25 devices FGS-223 and the HC3 controller.

Yesterday, however, I accidentally noticed the following:
- when you add a new device FGS223 (dual relay)
- you get more than two devices (switch1, switch2, etc.)
- You probably hide and disable the devices you don't need out of habit

So do the following:
- also show hidden devices on this added FGS223 device
- check if any of the hidden ones are also disabled
- enable all these hidden devices
- save changes at the exit
- turn OFF all switches on FGS223

Try now to upgrade ver.3.3 to 3.4

The shorter the distance to the controller, the faster the upgrade is performed!

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Edited by interested

• Inquirer
  • Thanks for replying so fast!

I just checked all the devices, only the master was hidden (but enabled), all the slave devices were visible and enabled. 

Also checked if all the switches were turned off.

I have started the update now... will check back in 8 hours or so.

PS: I just randomly tried to update one of the last FGS223 I had in the house (the oldest one, it's 1,5 years old I think). This module is placed on the other side of the house and it updated in like 15 minutes!!

Hi. Try doing mesh reconfigurations for the modules which won’t update. Helped me on HC2. I have around 18 223s and all of them updated without moving the controllers. Even the furthest ones. 

• Inquirer
  • Thanks baskalex,

I didn't try that yet. Did it just now and it's at downloading now for about 10 minutes. 

I'll check back.

спасибо!

That is strange it hangs on downloading actually. Because in my case it was dropping on the half of progress bar during uploading to the device itself. Downloading phase barely took one minute. It’s a stupid question to ask, but have you tried rebooting the controller itself? 

• Inquirer
  • If you mean restarting the hc lite > yes. Many, many times.

Just now I cancelled the update after it was on downloading for 40 minutes. Just rebooted the hc lite and I will try again now.

Strange. I guess you better send a request to support. Because it looks like it doesn’t even start the upload to the module itself. Maybe try different browser?

• Inquirer
  • You got me thinking. I didn't realise that the downloading part was Fibaro server > HC Lite. 

Just now I changed the IP of the HC Lite to be static and I set the DNS to google (8.8.8.8). 

I was using my pihole DNS blocker as DNS.

Now everything works super fast!!

I guess they have something built in to stop man-in-the-middle attacks so no one can steal their firmware :)

They should really document that somewhere....

Thanks baskalex and interested! 

I hope someone who has the same problem finds this topic!

Edited by Maes

Hi,

I have the same problem with updating the firmware to 4.3 for the fgs233 with HC2 (v4.600). Downloading is working (even faster with google DNS), but after starting the update process of the device it failes.

Also did mesh reconfigurations for the modules, which can be updated. Restart of the HC2 before updating doesn't help.

The message, after 1 minute: Status: fail - device unable to receive data. try again.

Any ideas?

Please login or register to see this image.

/monthly_2020_08/image.png.213063a801fb30819620df68e4e62db0.png" />

image.png.d3d6ec01262019aa9ee9531d46cf9966.png

Edited by Ronald78

• Inquirer
  • Did you add the home center as a secondary controller?

I did, and for each node that I wanted to update I had to first do "hard reconfiguration" and then "read configuration". After every step go to a different page like rooms and come back. Make sure that the process finished in the log at top of page.

Try update again after last step and it will work.

Also, be advised that after you do hard reconfiguration, the lifeline association of your node will be set to the home center so if you have another primary controller you have to set that back afterwards.

Edited by Maes

HC2 has status Master gateway and is the only controller.

hard reconfiguration" and then "read configuration" and start updating result after 10 minutes updating:

Status: fail - update interrupted - device connection lost. try again.

update: 4 devices the firmware updated (complete mesh reconfiguration) of total of 10 devices. 6 devices updates failes.

Edited by Ronald78
    update status

• Inquirer
  • Sounds like the hc really has trouble connecting to the modules. Either they're too far away or the hc thinks they're too far away, something that you fixed through mesh config. Try moving the hc closer for the remaining modules.

The same problem, lasts ~4 years. Still no change, tried everything mentioned here.

1 hour ago, OlegV said:

The same problem, lasts ~4 years. Still no change, tried everything mentioned here.

Cool, but I was not right. Several of my ~10 devices were updated using the following procedure:

1) unhide & enable all devices (1 Master & all Slaves)

2) reboot HC2

3) switch On/Off several times

4) press Read Configuration and wait a bit

5) try to Update

Not sure that all steps are required, but at least doesn't work without 1 & 4

Physical distance to the device doesn't matter, about 5m works perfectly. Probably it depends on something else