Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

2 way dimmer setup

Liquidchild

Question

Hi

i have installed a dimmer 2 module in a 2 way switch. However when I switch on the light or through the app the light won’t dim, instead it just goes straight to 100% and every time I try to dim it jumps back to 100%. Is there a setting that I have not changed to allow the dimmer module to work on a 2 way switch?

4 answers to this question

Hi @Liquidchild, things to check:

1. Have you wired the two way switches per diagram 4 in the dimmer manual? (noting that diagram includes an extra intermediate switch in the middle, which you can ignore: pretend that the wires extend vertically through that switch). If you aren't sure, try wiring with a single switch and see if this issue resolves.

2. Are the light bulbs dimmable?  Try them in another dimmer you know works

3. Have you run a calibration, does parameter 14 report the calibration is done?

4. Does parameter 33 show the load as dimmable?

5. Is parameter 20 set to toggle?

6. Parameter 26 should be 0 (default)

7. Parameter 21 should be 2 (default)

• Inquirer
  • 6 hours ago, Tim__ said:

Hi @Liquidchild, things to check:

1. Have you wired the two way switches per diagram 4 in the dimmer manual? (noting that diagram includes an extra intermediate switch in the middle, which you can ignore: pretend that the wires extend vertically through that switch). If you aren't sure, try wiring with a single switch and see if this issue resolves.

2. Are the light bulbs dimmable?  Try them in another dimmer you know works

3. Have you run a calibration, does parameter 14 report the calibration is done?

4. Does parameter 33 show the load as dimmable?

5. Is parameter 20 set to toggle?

6. Parameter 26 should be 0 (default)

7. Parameter 21 should be 2 (default)

hi, thanks for the reply.  Parameter 33 is saying the load is non-Dimmable? I have confirmed the bulbs are dimmable bulbs.  Also parameter 21 only has a setting of 0 or 1. 

Sorry, for #7, I meant Parameter 32 should be 2 (default). If you see a 1, you have a calibration problem.

To try next:

To confirm the bulbs are indeed dimmable, do you have another dimmer you can try them in? even an old knob type one?

Is your total load under 50W, and if so do you have a Fibaro Bypass correctly installed across the load?  The dimmer won't work properly with small loads without a bypass.

If both the above don't fix the issue, then you might have to try a different brand of dimmable bulbs.  Fibaro seems to have one of the most compatible dimming devices but you might have struck an incompatibility.

Edited by Tim__
    Updated comment re #7

• Inquirer
  • Thanks!

I have checked p32 and it is a 2.  However this circuit only has two bulbs on it, each 5w, so total load of 10w on the circuit. Which could be the problem as I don’t have a bypass wired in, I will give that a go!