Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Walli Dimmer as controller

Mjerda

Question

Hi! We have multiple Walli Dimmers across our house. In the kids room, they like the ability to change the color of the lights. We've done this using Hue bulbs, but that doesn't work very well with the Walli Dimmer. Is it possible to make the Walli Dimmer in this room act as a z-wave controller only without changing the actual load to the bulb? Then I could use my hub (Hubitat) to control the bulbs based on the commands sent from the Walli Dimmer.

Is this what the upcoming Walli Controller is for? I've seen that it's coming soon, but I haven't found much information about the product.

In any case, I'd rather keep my Walli Dimmers if possible, as they work with "dumb" bulbs as well, making it a more future proof solution.

6 answers to this question

Hi Mjerda, I have a similar problem. With "RWE Smarthome" system you can seperate dimmer-unit from physical switch-unit. That's, what you need, too. I could not find a way to do this. Hope somebody can help us.

Patrik

Check parameters 40 and 41. And use the scene id in the controller to control the Hue bulb.

I use this method with a Dimmer 2 module. 1 click is normal light on. 2x click is Hue desk light on/off.

4 hours ago, Joep said:

Check parameters 40 and 41. And use the scene id in the controller to control the Hue bulb.

I use this method with a Dimmer 2 module. 1 click is normal light on. 2x click is Hue desk light on/off.

Hi Joep, thanks for response, but this does not solve problem, because to get signal from Walli Dimmer Switch, to change Hue, ist not the problem. The device, which is controlled by dimmer ist Hue bulb, so a click on Walli Dimmer should not change (or dim) device (because it needs power all the time). It should just give information to Home Center, so that we can use it just as a controller. As I wrote, with other Smart Home Systems you have possibility to do that. But I can't find any way to seperate dimmer from switch (same unit).

@Patrik S in a FIBARO HC you have a ‘light’ and movieclapper or remote to use as trigger in a scene for scene activation purposes. It doesn’t work in FIBARO HC by choosing the ‘light’ it self. Also you need to change the parameters which Joep mentioned. 

@pnutp0wer Thanks and merry christmas! 

I'm not sure, if you got me wrong or maybe I don't understand solution. I'm sorry for that. Just to make my (and I think @Mjerdas problem, too) poblem clear, I will give you an exampel:

I click button 1 on Walli Dimmer. This should result in starting a scene, in which e.g. Hue bulb is dimming to 80% and make colour blue. BUT this sould not change physically dimming Hue, because Hue always needs "full power" and should always be on, because I control Hue by Hue Bridge radio. When I press button 2 on Walli Dimmer, this should result, that Hue bulb ist turning off by radio, but should NOT change physically power of Hue, because it should always get power.

My problem is, I don't know how to configure Walli that way, that a touch on button does not result in changing physically dimming. So I just want to use Walli buttons as remote and change phisycally dimming in software (where I can say "full on" on every time).

Has anybody a solution or can explain to me? Thanks a lot!

Edited by Patrik S

if you don't want to physically control your light, simply don't connect it to the walli dimmer, just connect it directly to the power supply :)