Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Need 4 channel potential free switch

Nnamreh Legnets

Question

Hi,

I looking for a solution to control my new skylight.

There are four wires that have to be ground shorted to control it, so I guess the switch(es) should be potential free. There is one wire for the led light, one for the shade, one to open/close the skylight and one for closing in case of rain.

There are so many switches to choose from, I honestly don't have a clue which to buy.

I hope you can help me out from your own experience.

6 answers to this question

Currently, 2 pieces of Smart Implant are the cheapest solution for Zwave. Just because you also have inputs that you can use to collect status signals.

If you need more than 150mA, or need to drive an inductive load (motors), or just as another option, you can use the Fibaro RGBW module in the in/out mode.  This gives you 4 channels.  You then connect the device to a four channel relay board, such as in the image below.  The relay board allows switching of higher voltages and currents.  You need to check the operating voltages and take precautions if mains voltage.  You also need a case and a power supply (get a 12V board so you can use the same power supply for RGBW device and relay board), so it's a little more DIY, but is more flexible and also cheaper.  Boards are available on eBay for the price of a couple of beers.

Please login or register to see this image.

• Inquirer
  • 21 hours ago, akatar said:

have a look at 2 times a fibaro implant

Those Smart Implants seem promising, I I'll buy one to play with it! Thanks fort the tip  

21 hours ago, Martin_N said:

Currently, 2 pieces of Smart Implant are the cheapest solution for Zwave. Just because you also have inputs that you can use to collect status signals.

Nice, I assume I can use one of these inputs to close the skylight in case of rain, when connecting a rain sensor?

21 hours ago, Flash said:

Beware only 150mA allowed on the outputs.

150mA more than enough in this case, but thanks for telling.

18 hours ago, Tim__ said:

If you need more than 150mA, or need to drive an inductive load (motors), or just as another option, you can use the Fibaro RGBW module in the in/out mode.  This gives you 4 channels.  You then connect the device to a four channel relay board, such as in the image below.  The relay board allows switching of higher voltages and currents.  You need to check the operating voltages and take precautions if mains voltage.  You also need a case and a power supply (get a 12V board so you can use the same power supply for RGBW device and relay board), so it's a little more DIY, but is more flexible and also cheaper.  Boards are available on eBay for the price of a couple of beers.

Please login or register to see this link.

This seems like a nice project to dive into a little deeper, I have no idea how to hook up the board to the RGBW module

Nice, I assume I can use one of these inputs to close the skylight in case of rain, when connecting a rain sensor?

Yes, it is possible. It depends on what type of output the rain sensor provides.
    The dry contact type will be ideal - it is the simplest (not raining - open, raining - closed). The 0-10V output is a bit more complicated, which, however, allows you to monitor the "current value" of the rain and possibly work with it using QA.

This seems like a nice project to dive into a little deeper, I have no idea how to hook up the board to the RGBW module

No problem :) >>

Please login or register to see this spoiler.

Edited by Martin_N
    • Like 1