Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

HC3 Nest thermostat integration

Rover

Question

What is the best best way to integrate Nest thermostat with HC3?

12 answers to this question

12 minutes ago, Rover said:

What is the best best way to integrate Nest thermostat with HC3?

buy google ? If you registered your account till mid 2019, you might still build QA to integrate them

Please login or register to see this link.

• Inquirer
  • Thank you tinman for your fast response!

I intend to buy a HC3 and transfer all devices from HC2.

Luckily I still have a Nest account and the control of the Nest thermostat with the HC2 is working well for years.

What is wise, to control the Nest thermostat in HC3 with IFTTT of building a QA? You mentioned building a QA, so nobody did this already?

2 hours ago, Rover said:

Luckily I still have a Nest account and the control of the Nest thermostat with the HC2 is working well for years.

so in principle you can use any kind of implementation. 

2 hours ago, Rover said:

What is wise, to control the Nest thermostat in HC3 with IFTTT of building a QA?

IFTTT is dependant on internet, which in case of Nest does not matter as any kind of (remote)-Nest-control need internet. 

If IFTTT covers everything you need, then you don't need other solution, but if not ...

2 hours ago, Rover said:

You mentioned building a QA, so nobody did this already?

... you will have to create your own QA, or ask someone to create it.

A good starting point might be this:

and/or Fibaro Plugin Sources  from HC2, they can be extracted from HC2 firmware and migrated / used in QA, as QA allows much more thing than VD did on HC2, near like like plugin.

For sure proper thermostate QA would be much better than IFTTT, but as i said, maybe IFTTT is sufficient for you.

• Thanks 1

• Inquirer
  • I made a QA for NEST Thermostat using the Works With Nest authorization data from the HC2 VD. It worked very well for about a year. Since 2 months I got for every HTTP Request a Host not found (authoritative).

Could it be that the Works With Nest authorization has been killed by Google? Do I have to convert to Google Account?

Edited by Rover

I now have a fully functional Nest Thermostat Integration with my HC3 thanks to 

Now I am not saying this is simple as you have to use the Nest API integration and it takes many steps but there is a VERY GOOD guide and troubleshooting guide also. 

The quickapp nest.fqa upload would not work for me so I copied the code and pasted it into my own app and hay presto it worked. 

Not so clear but the Variables are Quick App Variables not Global Variables - But if you paste the code into a blank quickapp you will automatically get the variables.

@Fibaro Development team: This should be in the core product ! 

I have the NEST V3 EU with the possibility to start my warm water boiler. Can this also be integrated?

W dniu 18.11.2021 o 13:32, BusterB1959 napisał:

The quickapp nest.fqa upload would not work for me so I copied the code and pasted it into my own app and hay presto it worked. 

Not so clear but the Variables are Quick App Variables not Global Variables - But if you paste the code into a blank quickapp you will automatically get the variables.

BusterB1959, could You please share the body of the app.

I did the same steps, but variables was not appears automatically, so I've added them manual.

But after start, the app crashes and not working...

The Nest Thermostat QA by Guillaume Waignier can be found in his repository on GitHub 

Look for his Fibaro repository and grab the Nest folder. The NestThermostat folder is deprecated. In installed it and tweaked it a bit to handle Fahrenheit and troubleshot the cooling setpoints because he just has a heating thermostat. There is an involved process to getting the OAuth2 client ID, client secret, and project ID from Google. Be advised there's a one time $5.00US fee for initial set up. Note that "Works with Google" is in the process of, or has been, deprecated by Google. The nice thing is that once you get the fqa file uploaded you only have to enter the above information from Google PLUS an authorization code (also from Google). Keep your client secret in a safe place. It would allow others to control your device(s).

Guillaume has been very responsive and helpful.

Good luck. If you have questions about the process of getting the right info, just post it here and I'll be happy to try to guide you through the steps.

Peter

On 2/4/2023 at 3:44 AM, PeterV959 said:

The Nest Thermostat QA by Guillaume Waignier can be found in his repository on GitHub 

Look for his Fibaro repository and grab the Nest folder. The NestThermostat folder is deprecated. In installed it and tweaked it a bit to handle Fahrenheit and troubleshot the cooling setpoints because he just has a heating thermostat. There is an involved process to getting the OAuth2 client ID, client secret, and project ID from Google. Be advised there's a one time $5.00US fee for initial set up. Note that "Works with Google" is in the process of, or has been, deprecated by Google. The nice thing is that once you get the fqa file uploaded you only have to enter the above information from Google PLUS an authorization code (also from Google). Keep your client secret in a safe place. It would allow others to control your device(s).

Guillaume has been very responsive and helpful.

Good luck. If you have questions about the process of getting the right info, just post it here and I'll be happy to try to guide you through the steps.

Peter

Dear Peter. 

I got stucked at the end.I dont know how to get the authetication code. All the rest I got. Also receive an email with an url.

I am attaching photos. The green fileds are already changed. And I attach the part i am stucked t.

Please help me how to continue.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Hello,

Have you click on the link ? (you can also click on the link inside the notification message center of fibaro).

Be aware to open the full link (to be sure, you can copy/paste the link in a web browser instead of clicking).

After login to your Google account, you will have a web page like this :

At the end of the process, you will arrive to a google web page.

The url in this web page contains the code.

You need the copy/paste manually the code in the QuickApp's variables.

Yes. @Alakazart is correct. If you look on the console of your controller you should see a debug message from the Quick App. That message will have the link with all the information you put into the project variables you need to perform the request. When you submit that in your browser address bar (or when you click on the link) you will be redirected to the Google site. However, within the URL you will see

code=4/0xxxxxxxxxxxxxx&

Followed by more unnecessary information. Copy the characters between code= and the "&" character. (Do not include the = or the &. That's the authorization token. Paste that into the Quick App variable for the code. When you save it the QA will restart. Be patient. The app has to perform several steps and there's a 60 second timer between each step. Watch the console.  You MIGHT need to get a new authorization token. You can keep the project ID, client ID and client secret. But you might have to go through the part where you tell Google to authorize access. It's all about security.

Hope that helps.

Peter

PS let me know if it works or not.