Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Installing Dimmer Fibaro 2. Old UK house but 3 wires!

willsy

Question

Hi

I'm looking to install a Fibaro dimmer 2. I've done this before in other parts of my house and they all had 2 wires (red and black). Not surprised as I live in an old Victorian house in the UK! So this is simple...

I've looked at installing another today, and I appear to have 3 wires going into the current standard toggle switch. These go Red = L1, Yellow =L2, Blue =L3.

Checking the voltage, I appear to get voltage on yellow and red, and nothing on blue.

Not sure how to wire this with the Dimmer 2?

Any help would be much appreciated :-)

Thanks

William.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Edited by willsy

9 answers to this question

@willsy

You can try... Toggle this switch . Do you get the blue wire voltage?. I guess it's a "stair switch". Do you have any other switch in this room that controls the same light?
eM.
Edited by Martin_N

• Inquirer
  • 36 minutes ago, akatar said:

@willsy is it a hotelswitch?

i hope my translation is correct (2 switchs for 1 light bulb)

Hi @Martin_N. Well it's one single switch and one lightbulb in one room! I think that there was a wall light that was in the room originally in addition to the currnet ceiling light.  I can see that the wall light was blanked off in the past. Maybe that has something to do with this?

Edited by willsy

@willsy So, if the switch has 2 flaps, or is rotatable or has two positions, it will really be a double switch. As a result, the blue conductors lead to probably more light. Try this switch and measure the power supply. If there is no reason to use another light, disconnect the blue wire, insulate and..ignore :)

• Inquirer
  • 18 minutes ago, Martin_N said:

@willsy So, if the switch has 2 flaps, or is rotatable or has two positions, it will really be a double switch. As a result, the blue conductors lead to probably more light. Try this switch and measure the power supply. If there is no reason to use another light, disconnect the blue wire, insulate and..ignore :)

@Martin_N

Mmmm... I tried measuring voltage when switching. On both positions I have voltage on the red L1 (obviously). So that's the constant live!

Then when I measure voltage on yellow when in the *switch off position* I get this:

L2 yellow: + voltage

L3 blue: 0 voltage

Then when I measure voltage when for the *switch on position* I get this:

L2 yellow: 0 voltage.

L3 blue: + voltage

So I guess as you say, I can insulate and ignore the unused lead as this is for another light. Maybe the wall light that I can see is gone now?

Thanks very much.

William.

Edited by willsy

or

remove l2 from the switch and test if you can switch the light on/off, if not remove l1 etc)

if so isolate that wire and use the other two for the fibaro module

• Like 1

@willsy Isn't it really a double-switch? (two flaps). As you describe it, it behaves like a SWITCH (Com-red, NO-yellow, NC-blue).It would mean that one or the other light would always shine. (if the other one is disconnected, then it doesn't have to trap you).

I would still be looking for some old switch, maybe it is hidden. It really looks like a stair connection. But, as I wrote, if you don't use it now, I wouldn't worry about it .. :)

• Like 1

@akatar @willsy

Sure, I know the "hotel" switch. That's why I asked if the switch is rotatable. Willsy wrote a "standard toggle switch". That's why I no longer thought about the hotel, but rather about the alternating switching of the switch. In any case, what we both advised is true: there is no need to disconnect, insulate and ignore.

Just out of curiosity, I would like to see the exact type of the switch.