Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

HC2 Energy panel not consistent

perjar

Question

Hi,

I am having a hard time undestanding how to use the energy panel in HC2. It seems the graphs can never be completely trusted as they show different data depending on time window.

Compare graphs 1 and 2 below. They both show power consumption for same two devices, but in graph 2 I have zoomed in a bit so the  window is shorter.

Graph 1: 03:30 to  13:15 

Graph 2: 04:30 to  11:45

The blue line is the power consumption of my house and the red line is for my espresso maker.

I first looked at time window 1 and was surprised at how little power the espresso machine used, around 600W apparently. I knew this could not be correct so I zoomed in to get a closer look.

Zooming in gave a completely different graph as you can see. Now the consumption looks correct, about 1800 W.

This odd behaviour is more or less standard in the energy panel.. Peak levels move up and down as you zoom in and out of the graph, making it all but impossible to get a good and trustworthy view of the data and the trends.

Sometimes is looks like a device has had higher momentary power consumption then the whole house, but when I change the zoom level it becomes clear that that was not the case at all, the data was just misrepresented in the graph.

Is this just a bug in the system or is there some clever thinking behing how the data is presented that is above my level of intelligence?

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

2 answers to this question

I think this is quite normal behavior. The Netatmo app does the same for temperature, humidity and so on. I think when you zoom out they will calculate an average and you lose the peaks, the more you soom out, the lower your peaks will be. You can check this by looking at a light which has been on for a longer time. Than the avarage and peak should be more equal. Because of this I never use the energy panel to be honest