Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Fibaro Home Center 3 and Ikea bridge (Trådfri)

Jonas bergkvist

Question

Hello. considering upgrading to HC3 from Hc2,

has anyone tested Ikea trådfri bridge.

Today i use Home Assistant and HC2 , but should be great if i could ditch Home Assist and get HC3 to talk directly to Ikea Trådfri bridge.

Any one ho have tested it and have some info about it?

12 answers to this question

• Inquirer
  • i have both Ikea bridge and Hue bridge. Both work today, but i controlling them with HomeAssist. But should be nice if Fibaro release support for the bridge's both hue and Ikea tradfri.

10 minutes ago, Jonas bergkvist said:

Ok so it is no known way of controlling ikea devices?

Any hints of when Fibaro release support?

There is not, you can only use ha or homeseer (or other controllers) to use tradfri devices

• Inquirer
  • 1 minute ago, akatar said:

There is not, you can only use ha or homeseer (or other controllers) to use tradfri devices

It is no change since HC2 then. :( 

Did hope some changes was made with the HC3.

• Inquirer
  • 47 minutes ago, akatar said:

@Jonas bergkvist nothing has chanched,

Perhaps there will be a time for paid plugins, i think dat there will be more useable plugins.

Yes that should be a good solotion. i also think better guides on how to start making the Plugins, Then more people maybe start doing them.

The HC3 comes with a Zigbee controller on board but no firmware support at the moment. Fibaro has posted on this forum "Zigbee support planned in 2021". To be clear, that won't be "Ikea Bridge Support", it won't need a bridge but also won't support a bridge. You'll have to repair your lights. Also it is not known how much (and how) they will support the different kinds of remote control. As you run open source, you might be aware that the remotes behave differently depending on the kind of controller/gateways software (ZHA, Zigbee2Mqtt, Conbee, Tradfri Bridge). I run two different setups, one has Z2M and the other one uses the Tradfri Bridge Integration. If I would start all over again, I would ditch the Tradfri Bridge, its sole advantage was firmware upgrade capability of the devices but Z2M now got that capability as well.

12 hours ago, Jonas bergkvist said:

i also think better guides on how to start making the Plugins, Then more people maybe start doing them.

Users are not allowed to make real plugins. the HC3 supports "Quick Apps" which have quite a few capabilities of real plugins, and they allow you to do MQTT and HTTP for example. Besides... There is no support for DTLS/COAP and I don't think those protocols are easy to add using "pure Lua". I am not going to try. So no easy tradfri bridge integration.

On personal note,.

I rather see a good ikea tradfri plugin and a plugwise adam plugin then the internal zigbee controller, ikea for the updates but plugwise adam for the working part.

If i could add plugwise adam/lisa/tom etc to the internal zigbee controller i have to programm my hvac system, on/off modulating mode, and that for every room, this is standard built in with the plugwise adam. so just a few degrees more or less is more then enough for me.

Hi, I will also share a personal note ...
    I think the placement of the Zigbee controller in HC3 was just a marketing move to take the user undecided. Be aware that putting a zigbee controller into operation will result in two things.
    1) people start buying cheaper sensors, zigbee actuators, not zwave = Fibaro starts to lose profits.
    2) The dissatisfied reactions of the user to the non-functional zigbee device will multiply and they will most likely blame Fibaro for that (perhaps rightly or wrongly). Support lines will begin to load by resolving these issues.

So yes, I'm looking forward to making Zigbee active so that I can add some sensors that zwave doesn't have (design).
    At the same time, I am afraid of this period. Development tools will be fragmented and if the manufacturer's support is now difficult, what will it look like then ??? ....
    eM.

• Like 2