Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Help with reading input from electric gate

MrPancake

Question

Hello all,

I'm trying to connect a smart implant to my gate controller, but I'm having issues getting the inputs read correctly.

Please login or register to see this image.

/monthly_2020_09/gate2.png.839a8178611e9de4d38eb51a23d0cf34.png" />

I connected the red wire to +24 (8), Blue Wire to GND (6) and the IN1 to OUT2 (-).

I configured the controller to change OUT2 to "ON" when the gate is open.

If I refresh, the IN1 reads 2v when the gate is closed and 20v when the gate is open.

However, I don't get the changes automatically, I always have to refresh to see the change. 

Should I be wiring it differently? Is it the the problem that OUT1 and OUT2 are not contact free?

Thank you!

Frank, I think MrPrancake wants to monitor an open gate.
You describe the function for opening the gate, which is certainly useful.

@MrPancake

SI probably has a problem detecting that voltage. Insert into relay circuit. Connect In1 from SI to out2 of the gate of the 24V relay and connect GN1 from SI to its NO contacts and

Edited by Martin_N
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning

I also have it running with a SmartImplant (but a different garage door).
It should work with the following connection.

red on terminal 8
blue next to red on terminal 6
blue next to ANT on terminal 13
yellow on 12 or 14 depending on what you want

OUT1 on terminals 1 and 2

That should be all

I hope I was of help.

Greetings Frank

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Thanks 1

• Inquirer
  • Hi Martin, thank you, I just ordered the relay. 

I'm just a bit confused, I think your message cut off. 

Should I connect out2 + and - to the relay, and then gnd and in1 from implant to the out of the relay? 

2 hours ago, FBerges said:

Good Morning

I also have it running with a SmartImplant (but a different garage door).
    It should work with the following connection.

red on terminal 8
    blue next to red on terminal 6
    blue next to ANT on terminal 13
    yellow on 12 or 14 depending on what you want

OUT1 on terminals 1 and 2

That should be all

I hope I was of help.

Greetings Frank

Thank you Frank, I was going to wire the out after I got the in working, right now I have an old FGS 212 doing that. 

You said to wire yellow to 12 or 14, what would be the benefit of that? It mentions in the manual that 12 and 14 are related to leaf closing limits, but I don't know what that means. 

The other thing I would be interested in doing would be to connect in2 of the implant to monitor the safety device connecting to 7 on the controller. Would that be doable? 

• Inquirer
  • I found this on the manual regarding 12 and 14, so I understand they are inputs.. Not sure I could use the IN1 from the implant here? 

Travel limit device could be the contact for open and closed.
    That's how I assumed it.

if this is not the case, take the blue one next to the ANT and connect it to terminal -OUT2 and the yellow to terminal + OUT2.

With the FGS-212 you can then turn on the light in the garage when it is dark and switch it off again via a timer.
    That's how I did it.

• Inquirer
  • 1 hour ago, FBerges said:

Travel limit device could be the contact for open and closed.
    That's how I assumed it.

if this is not the case, take the blue one next to the ANT and connect it to terminal -OUT2 and the yellow to terminal + OUT2.

With the FGS-212 you can then turn on the light in the garage when it is dark and switch it off again via a timer.
    That's how I did it.

Thanks, but that's what I tried and then got the +2v and +20v, so it wasn't detecting the changes properly.

I bought the relay @Martin_N mentioned and hopefully that will work.

Do you know of a way I could also connect the safety devices going to IN5 to the SI?

@MrPancake

If you can adjust the gateway configuration so that IN5 can open the gateway in OPEN-STOP-CLOSE-STOP ... mode, you can use this input. Or do you want to use other features? You still have a free relay (out2) on the SI.

Please login or register to see this spoiler.

• Inquirer
  • Just now, Martin_N said:

@MrPancake

If you can adjust the gateway configuration so that IN5 can open the gateway in OPEN-STOP-CLOSE-STOP ... mode, you can use this input. Or do you want to use other features? You still have a free relay (out2) on the SI.

Thank you, but IN5 is not configurable. 

The other feature I wanted was for IN2 of the SI to detect if the safety device on the gate was triggered. Not sure this is what you're referring to. 

Could it work if I only connected IN2 from the SI directly to the same input that the alarm device is connect to in the controller, or do I need to connect the safety device directly to the SI? 

@MrPancake

You mention the safety device on IN5. Is it a light barrier, a blocking bar, or something similar? Do you need to monitor this condition?
    Simply. Since this is always a connection to GND (I assume from the connection of other inputs), it is enough to connect IN5 to SI (in2). From free relay 2 (SI OUT2) you connect one terminal to GND, the other to IN5.

• Inquirer
  • 1 minute ago, Martin_N said:

@MrPancake

You mention the safety device on IN5. Is it a light barrier, a blocking bar, or something similar? Do you need to monitor this condition?
    Simply. Since this is always a connection to GND (I assume from the connection of other inputs), it is enough to connect IN5 to SI (in2). From free relay 2 (SI OUT2) you connect one terminal to GND, the other to IN5.

Yes, it's a light barrier. So you are saying that I should connect both IN2 and Out2 to the IN5 of the gate? 

Edit answer...
    Since this is always a connection to GND (I assume from the connection of other inputs), it is enough to switch what goes to IN5 now (supply from the security device) to SI (in2). From free relay 2 (SI OUT2) you connect one terminal to GND, the other to IN5.

• Inquirer
  • 3 minutes ago, Martin_N said:

Edit answer...
    Since this is always a connection to GND (I assume from the connection of other inputs), it is enough to switch what goes to IN5 now (supply from the security device) to SI (in2). From free relay 2 (SI OUT2) you connect one terminal to GND, the other to IN5.

Oh, I understand, so the security device will be connected to the SI, and out2 from SI will give the signal to the controller. Perfect! Will test that soon while I wait for the relay I ordered to arrive for the other function. 

Good luck.
    Watch out for SI. By default, it has InX-OutX bound. It works as a pulse relay! You must make a change in the parameters to monitor the status.
    Alternatively, you can solve another relay (the same as you ordered), and thus release OUT2 at SI for another function. You then connect the relay winding to the safety device. And reconnect the relay contacts to IN5.

Edited by Martin_N

• Inquirer
  • 12 minutes ago, Martin_N said:

Good luck.
    Watch out for SI. By default, it has InX-OutX bound. It works as a pulse relay! You must make a change in the parameters to monitor the status.
    Alternatively, you can solve another relay (the same as you ordered), and thus release OUT2 at SI for another function. You then connect the relay winding to the safety device. And reconnect the relay contacts to IN5.

Thanks for the heads up! Do you know what parameter that would be? 

• Inquirer
  • I wired it the way you said the security device, since it was a cable coming and the fibaro implant input was also a cable I didn't know how to do so I twisted them together and it worked. 

I added the out2 like you said and when the security device triggered the controller recognized it. 

However, the SI still didn't seem to be communicating anything to my hub. The output and input triggered but nothing was reported. 

I don't know why it's not reporting as expected

1 hour ago, MrPancake said:

However, the SI still didn't seem to be communicating anything to my hub. The output and input triggered but nothing was reported. 

I don't know why it's not reporting as expected

Maybe this is a similar problem as in this topic. What is your current version of fw HC3? I assume that you have SI correctly added to HC3 and you are able to control at least output 1. Again, you have to get rid of the connection between In1 and Out1. (actually also between In2 and Out2). And switch inputs from pulse mode to instantaneous. Output 1 will be pulsed with open time, output 2 will be instantaneous.

• Inquirer
  • 1 minute ago, Martin_N said:

Maybe this is a similar problem as in this topic. What is your current version of fw HC3? I assume that you have SI correctly added to HC3 and you are able to control at least output 1. Again, you have to get rid of the connection between In1 and Out1. (actually also between In2 and Out2). And switch inputs from pulse mode to instantaneous. Output 1 will be pulsed with open time, output 2 will be instantaneous.

I actually have a Hubitat C7, maybe that is the issue. I'll try checking if anybody has this device with this router and see if it's working. 

ok, anyway, look at those parameters ...
    Maybe try everything without connecting to the gate first. You can also use SmartImplant to determine the range. In the range test mode, you will find out if they are connected to the Zwave controller, what the signal is like ... Pay attention to the location. You can have a lot of interference. Switching power supply at the drive, the presence of its own RF control, motor and electromagnetic field ...

• Inquirer
  • 1 hour ago, Martin_N said:

ok, anyway, look at those parameters ...
    Maybe try everything without connecting to the gate first. You can also use SmartImplant to determine the range. In the range test mode, you will find out if they are connected to the Zwave controller, what the signal is like ... Pay attention to the location. You can have a lot of interference. Switching power supply at the drive, the presence of its own RF control, motor and electromagnetic field ...

Thank you, I might try something like that. 

I'm thinking about pairing it to a SmartThings hub I have to see if it works better. 

I suppose there would be interference on the gate box, but I imagine not enough to stop all communication reporting back. 

Is there maybe a way for me to test the implant with something else in the house? I don't know what I could use as a low voltage power source

Thank you! 

You can try this:

But I have no idea if it will work with your controller. When you test, it takes a little patience and practice.