Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

[Tutorial] - Attaching DS18B20 temperature sensors to a Smart Implant

Tim__

The Smart Implant can have up to 6 temperature sensors added to it, which makes it handy for climate control applications.  Here is a guide based on my experience, hopefully it helps you avoid the frustrations I had.

1.       Buy the sensors from a reputable source. The DS18B20 is manufactured by Maxim Integrated (ex-Dallas Semiconductor). There are many counterfeit sensors out there (eg Chinese company CXGAS) that either will simply not work, report incorrect readings, or stop working after a short period.  If the sensor is built into a probe it can be difficult to determine a counterfeit unless you open the casing, which can be difficult due to epoxy encapsulation. It seems most sensors bought on eBay, Aliexpress, Banggood etc are counterfeit.   See more on this here:

Please login or register to see this link.

2.       Keep the length of the lead between sensor and device under 3 meters, otherwise there may be synchronisation errors.

3.       A 4.7k resistor is required as a pullup from the DATA to VCC line.  If the DS18B20 is built into a probe, the resistor is probably not included.

4.       Where the DS18B20 device is soldered to a small daughter board, be careful as the PCB tracks may not connect directly to the corresponding jumper pins – instead the connections may be rearranged. Use a multimeter to confirm the pinout.

5.       Up to six sensors can be used, connected in parallel. The leads should all be the same length, to ensure the signals stay synchronised. Regardless of the number of sensors, a single 4.7k resistor is required as a pullup from the DATA to VCC line.

In order to show the temperature device slaves in your Home Center devices screen:

1.       Power down the device

2.       Wire the sensor(s) up, including the resistor

3.       Move the Smart Implant  very close to the Home Centre

4.       Power up and click the “Reconfigure Device” button in advanced options.

5.       You will need to delete the device and re-add it if you have changed sensors, as the internal sensor serial number identifiers will have changed.

6.       The temperature sensors will appear as additional Slaves.

When attempting to add the device, if you receive the error message: "ID xx: System hardware failure. Read the manual", this is a good indicator you have a clone sensor.

Set Parameters 67 and 68 as required, so that regular temperature reports are sent.

Note that the Smart Implant contains an internal temperature sensor.  This is likely to over-report air temperature, because the sensor is located inside the device and that will make it slightly warmer.

If this guide helped you, click the Heart symbol below to say thanks.

• Like 19

• 11 months later...
  • Topic Author
  • Hi @Joost347, glad this was of use. Have a look in the manual, diagram 3 shows how to connect it:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

hello Tim,

i got HC3,

i tryed to follow all fibaro manuals and your instruction, but i'm stucked, can you pls check what am I doing wrong?

it's the first time i use a DS18B20 sensor.

i attach you some pics, 

i wired everithing as is written in manual,

i did your procedure a lot of times,

i also tryed to factory default smart implant.

i don't understand what am i expected do see in "device" page.

I also see that parameter in HC3 starts from 24.. i see in some guide that i have to change some "lower" parameter

i think that those parameter are moved to "advanced" as you can see in the pics,

i see that there are 2 different analog input, is there any difference?

this is not a 0 - 10 sensor, i see other post in other forum saying that you don't have to touch this parameter cause you are acting on "multilevel sensor" only. is this correct?

i attach you also a foto of the type of sensor i'm using, 

thank you

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Edited by MarcoSmartForYou
    missing information
    • Like 1

@MarcoSmartForYou
    The DS18B20 is a special temperature sensor, but the humidity sensor you have can not be connected as a DS18B20 because it is not a DS18B20 sensor.
    You have asked the question of how to connect your sensor in another post and which I have answered.
    If you read that post, you will understand why the sensor does not work.

@MarcoSmartForYou

EDIT

It may work to connect the sensor directly to the Smart Implant, so try connecting it as my picture describes.
    You need two different power sources because the sensor can only be connected to a maximum of 5 V and Smart Implant requires at least 9 V to work.
    No extra resistance is needed. (Also not needed for the DS18B20 temperature sensor)
    Check in your sensor's data sheet which output voltage you should enter, 0-3 V or something else.
    You should be able to see some measured values in HC3 but they may need to be calibrated (change Min and Max voltage or measuring range).

If you want measured values more often, you can change parameter 63 to 0.1.

EDIT

Important!
    First watch this video which is about good and bad sensors.

Edited by RH_Dreambox
    • Like 2

THANK YOU FOR THIS!!!!!!! 

I got one good news and a bad news,

the REALLY GOOD ONE is that your scheme is perfect! i'm getting some data and i owe you a bottle of good wine!!

the bad one is that i got some "inverse" readings. 

if i put water in glass i read 0% if i leave it i get 100% ?

is it because i got a "cheap" sensor? (can someone suggest me some good sensor in this case?)

i got 3 different sensors, aesthetically identical, i see different voltage for each sensor. 

datasheet says 0-3V but if i put 0-3 it does not work. is this tension the voltage between yellow wire (signal) and GND?

i tryed to make this measurement with this 3 device i got and i get different readings:

first:

at0%      2.7v
    at100%  0,930v 

second:

at100% 4,25
    at0%     3,13

third:

at100% 1,0 v

at0%     2,10v

are those parameter good? i think a have broke two of them in some way....

if i understood well, more water, less resistence, more tension. is this "reverse" normal? have i bought the wrong sensor 3 times? ? am I missing something?

thank you guys!!

have someone noticed that there are 2 "analog input W/O pull up" possibility? is there any difference between them? (see attach 1)

• Like 1

@MarcoSmartForYou

Nice that you have managed to make it work (almost) :-)
    Since the sensor seems to work differently than I thought, you can start by changing the measuring range.
    Change the configuration so that 0V = 100% and 3V = 0% so it should behave correctly (I hope).

If you want a more accurate scale, you can also change to 0.9V = 100% and 2.7V = 0% (your first sensor).

The fact that the sensors show such different values may be due to the fact that you have had too high an input voltage on the sensor and that they have been damaged.
    Also remember to clean the sensors as grease from your hands can cause incorrect values.

And yes, you can connect two sensors to a Smart Implant.
    You are now using Input 1 which is the yellow cable. The next sensor you connect to the green cable which is Input 2.
    If you want to connect more sensors, you must get another Smart Implant.
    Your offer of a bottle of wine sounds nice. I can pick it up if I go to Italy at some point :-)

EDIT
    I thought you would configure Analog input with "W/O pull-up".
    Have you configured the sensor as "W/ pull-up" ???

EDIT

Important!
    First watch this video which is about good and bad sensors.

and if the sensor reacs slowly

Edited by RH_Dreambox
    • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

hello guys,

sorry if i didn't show up of a long time,

thank you for support, just to let you know that everything is working now,

i'll report this minor bug to Nice Italia, to let them work on it,

let me know when you are going to program your travel to Milan to collect your bottle of wine! ?

have a nice day guys!! 

• Like 1