Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

FGBS-222 with DS18B20 reports random temperature spikes on HomeSeer

eegz

Question

When I connect an FGBS-222 with a DS18B20 to my HomeSeer 3 software running on a ZeeS2 device, the temperature reads great (within a degree of other devices), but if I leave it for a few hours and check again, it reads a wildly higher value (current temp is around 67F and it reports 83F-88F).

If I wait a while and check again it is back to the right value and back and forth.

To narrow down the issue I've tried:
- 2 different power sources: 9v @ 9mAh & 12v @ 2.1A - 2 different FGBS-222 units (1 from Amazon, 1 from Newegg)
- 2 different temperature probes (Amazon and Newegg again, look the same but have different colored wires)
- stripped extra wire to get a secure connection (power -> FGBS-222 -> DS18B20) and taped up
- placed indoors in the corner of a room to prevent disturbance

Has anyone else seen something like this?

52 minutes ago, eegz said:

The power on this is 15v, could you suggest the best way to convert it to the 3.5/5v that the DS18B20 needs?

The "best" method is a voltage regulator, eg texas instruments LP2950CZ-3.3/NOPB. For less than the price of a coffee.

• Like 1

Hi @eegz,

If you onnect the Grounds of the 2 power supply's, you should be able to power the VDD of the sensor with an separate 5V power supply.

• Inquirer
  • Got a FGRGBW-442 taking 12v and split it off with a voltage regulator to get 5v for the ds18b20.

Voltmeter shows both are getting the desired voltage, but no thermometer shows on the FGRGBW-442 in Homeseer like it does with the fgbs-222.

The FGRGBW-442 shows 22 items (voltage, rgb controls, application status, etc) in HomeSeer, but nothing seems to reflect the input from the ds18b20. 

All my automation is set up in HomeSeer. Do I need to get a Home Center Lite to get sensor info out of a FGRGBW-442?

The FGRGBW-442 docs say where to hook up analog sensors and mention settings for pull-up, but don't say much else.

Edited by eegz

I don't have homeseer, but I found with hc2 that you need to fully remove the device and re add it to the network, after you've added the sensor. Soft reconfigure is not enough.

5 hours ago, eegz said:

Got a FGRGBW-442 taking 12v and split it off with a voltage regulator to get 5v for the ds18b20.

Voltmeter shows both are getting the desired voltage, but no thermometer shows on the FGRGBW-442 in Homeseer like it does with the fgbs-222.

The FGRGBW-442 shows 22 items (voltage, rgb controls, application status, etc) in HomeSeer, but nothing seems to reflect the input from the ds18b20. 

All my automation is set up in HomeSeer. Do I need to get a Home Center Lite to get sensor info out of a FGRGBW-442?

The FGRGBW-442 docs say where to hook up analog sensors and mention settings for pull-up, but don't say much else.

blockquote widget

@eegz

But the FGRGBW-442 does not have a 1-Wire for Dallas devices. You do not connect the temperature sensor there as on a SmartImplant.
    Only connect a sensor with an analog output of 0-10V to the RGBW2 controller!
    Or did I misunderstand your question?

Edited by Martin_N

3 hours ago, Martin_N said:

But the FGRGBW-442 does not have a 1-Wire for Dallas devices. You do not connect the temperature sensor there as on a SmartImplant.

Martin is right! I had glossed over that fact...

• Inquirer
  • Looked up the 1-wire part which sounds like it means the signal provides enough power so you don't need an additional power source (for short runs)?

The DS18b20's I'm using have 3 wires (power, ground, data).  The ground is wired to the same ground, the hot is coming from the same wire as the FGRGBW-442 (but through a voltage regulator) and the signal is connected to one of the FGRGBW-442's analog 0-10v inputs. 

Thought that putting 5v on the DS18B20's 3rd wire would put the output in the 0-10v range, but just noticed that the DS18B20 is digital and the inputs are analog.  Is that what you're referring to by no support for Dallas devices?

BTW thanks for the help with this.  I may have actually stumbled onto a solution using the smart implant.  I read in some random internet discussion about a sensor not having enough time to build up a charge when asked to report too often.  Tried increasing the amount of temperature delta required for the smart implant to report to 2 degrees in case it had a similar problem and it hasn't had a spike in about 4 days. Not terribly sensitive, but good enough for my applications.

Edited by eegz

Yes, I had exactly what I wrote in mind. There are 1-Wire (Dallas) converters on the 0-10V interface, but they are definitely more expensive than SmartImplant. It is better (but for a similar money) to take a thermometer 0-10V and connect it directly.
    If you take the SmartImplant and 1-Wire paths, you will avoid Chinese clones. It has been written here several times.
    Good luck in solving ...

Hello

I think some think a DS18B20 would be an analog sensor.
    This building block is purely digital.
    Regardless of how it is connected or operated, it does not output an analog signal e.g. 0-10V.
    It requires a voltage supply of 5VDC and transmits the temperature digitally to the control unit via a single-wire interface.
    A circuit in the receiver system enables 4 sensors to be connected to one line.
    In principle, it is the one who first answers, receives number 1 and so on.

This sensor cannot be connected to an FGRGBW-442!
    Except a converter is in between as @Martin_N wrote.

However, it is possible to use a SmartImplant without any problems because this module has a single-wire interface.
    The same sensor also works with many Qubino modules because they also have the interface.
    If you want to read, I have attached the data sheet of the DS18B20.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Hi,

I am very curious to know how any of you got the FGBS-222 to show temperature devices in HomeSeer in the first place. When I enroll it in regular mode I get all the switches but NO temperature devices. If I enroll it in non-secure mode I get one temperature device but NO switches. I am pulling my hair out to try and get this to show switches AND temperature probes. Any help would be very much appreciated!

Please help and please stay safe...

39 minutes ago, avpman said:

Hi,

I am very curious to know how any of you got the FGBS-222 to show temperature devices in HomeSeer in the first place. When I enroll it in regular mode I get all the switches but NO temperature devices. If I enroll it in non-secure mode I get one temperature device but NO switches. I am pulling my hair out to try and get this to show switches AND temperature probes. Any help would be very much appreciated!

Please help and please stay safe...

try the latest zwave beta plugin, perhaps that will do the trick

also a rescan of the device will help sometimes

• Inquirer
  • On 2/19/2021 at 7:05 AM, akatar said:

try the latest zwave beta plugin, perhaps that will do the trick

also a rescan of the device will help sometimes

I added it through an iPhone app called Z-Tool+.  For some reason the temperature shows when it's added with that app, but not when I add though HomeSeer.

Only have HomeSeer 3 though.

12 hours ago, eegz said:

I added it through an iPhone app called Z-Tool+.  For some reason the temperature shows when it's added with that app, but not when I add though HomeSeer.

Only have HomeSeer 3 though.

something to read:

Please login or register to see this link.