Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Wire Dimmer 2 with unattended switches (Live directly to switch)

odelrio

Question

Hello:

I think that my scenario is very common, but I can't find or can't understand how to wire it. In the junction box where I'm installing the Dimmer 2 (FGD-212) I have Live, Neutral and the end of a 4-way switches circuit that works with Live. My switches are toggles, not potentiometers (wheels). I want to dim the light only remotely and to use the physical switches to turn the light on and off. I see no reason to power my switches from Sx.

I can't understand the 2-wire or 3-wire schemas in the manual. Why is Neutral connected to Sx sometimes? Isn't Sx the Live output for the switches?

Can I power the switches directly from Live and then feed S1 with it? See the attached schema.

Thank you!

Please login or register to see this attachment.

5 answers to this question

Can I power the switches directly from Live and then feed S1 with it?   No, you can't. You need to wire the device up as shown in the online manual.

I can't understand the 2-wire or 3-wire schemas in the manual.  I'd suggest you engage an electrician to do the wiring for you.  Getting scripting wrong might be frustrating, but getting the wiring wrong can be deadly!!

I wouldn't do that. The switch(es)  must be between SX and S1. Then swap your toggle switch with momentary switches and you can dim from all switches. You must connect neutral to SX if you don't have a neutral wire behind the switch

Please login or register to see this image.

/monthly_2020_11/image.png.87381a4a10d2cee08ee9ae2c17aec190.png" />

I tried this in a staircase but with two switches. It works.

Please login or register to see this image.

/monthly_2020_11/image.png.68536a7c24e2f33d12da32b51e8e6ca2.png" />

13 hours ago, Gurra said:

I tried this in a staircase but with two switches. It works.

Please login or register to see this link.

I just dont see the point why you would do it like that. why not wire it like in the manual and use the SX?

the reason @odelrio wants to do this is because he is, like I am in a retrofit situation where the dimmer is not in de junctionbox where the switches are but in the junctionbox in the ceiling were the lamp is.

I have exactly the same situation. In the junctionbox ath the lamp, I have Live, Neutral and momentary switched live (or Neutral if that would be convenient).
With the dimmer near the lamp, the Fibaro wiring diagrams requires 2 leads between the switch and the dimmer. There is no way I can get and extra lead between switch and dimmer, and there is no room to place the dimmer behind the swicht. box is full.

look and the Finder 15.51.8.230.0400 dimmer

Please login or register to see this link.

there you see the exact same configuration.

@odelrio since you wired it your way is it still working or did your dimmer blow up or something like that.

Edited by rdhd
typo's