Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Repeating and periodic and intermittent sending of event(s)

All Things IoT

Question

Hi,

I have looked through the previous topics and also searched google as a whole and can't seem to see anyone else that has raised this question before. 

We have a number of door sensors (FGBW002  v3.2 ZW5) installed in a number of home the majority work as expected however we have noticed that a few of these sensors are misbehaving with 2 different types of problem. 

Periodic Repeating of event:

The first issue that we have is that of periodic sending of the same event, for example we have a door sensor that will every 4m30s send an open or closed message depending upon the state of the sensor. If in between the door is opened or closed then as expected a new event will be sent with the change in state. However from then on every 4m30s an event with the new value is then sent. 

Intermittent Events:
The second issue we have encountered is that of intermittent sending of events, in these instances we receive a flurry of events from the device the same sequence of events that one would expect to see if the battery had been removed then replaced, however no one has been near the sensor to interact with it. While not periodic, once a sensor starts to misbehave this way, we will see the more than one example of this behaviour from the sensor.  

As I mention at that beginning this is only a small portion of the total number of sensors that we have that behave like this. We have compared the firmware versions on the sensors reporting back to the controller and they are the same firmware versions.  

Has anyone else experienced similar issues to this? Or know of a fix?

Thanks in advance for any insights or advice. 

8 answers to this question

For your periodic issue, check the periodic reporting setting, parameter 64. Sounds like it is set to 9 (9 x 30s = 4.5 minutes).

On 11/30/2020 at 8:41 PM, Tim__ said:

For your periodic issue, check the periodic reporting setting, parameter 64. Sounds like it is set to 9 (9 x 30s = 4.5 minutes).

Tim, 

Thank you for your reply, we are using the Door Sensor 2 with Open Zwave, and the default factory parameters for the device.

Looking at the manual 

Please login or register to see this link.

there is no parameter 64 documented for for the door sensor; I can see that it's possible for devices such as this - 

Please login or register to see this link.

I will however out of interest see if it's possible to set and change the parameter programmatically and affect the behaviour. 

Further investigations showed that swapping the battery for another battery produced an interval period of around 15 minutes so it seems to be a function of the device and the battery. Each battery (the 4 1/2 min and the 15 min one) were left in another Fibaro door sensor for a few hours and there was no repeating of events from that device. Hence it seems to be a combination of the device and the battery. Out of about 150 door sensors we have seen the periodic repeating in 3 devices. 

Kind regards,

Andy

Sorry, I read your FGBW002 model as the RGBW 2 model.  You have found a weird bug!

Hello,

Did you found a solution?

I have two door sensors and one of them is doing exactly the same as yours. I receive each 4min30 status update even if the door stay always closed.

It will flood my openzwave network and discharge battery of the sensor very rapidly...

Thanks 

• Inquirer
  • On 12/21/2020 at 10:47 AM, samuelAN said:

Hello,

Did you found a solution?

I have two door sensors and one of them is doing exactly the same as yours. I receive each 4min30 status update even if the door stay always closed.

It will flood my openzwave network and discharge battery of the sensor very rapidly...

Thanks 

I have raised an official support ticket with Fibaro, so far they have come back with a few basic suggestions such as is the magnet to far from the sensor and have I tried replacing the battery. I have replied with some of the data we have captured to try and clarify the issue better so that they understand it fully. While I'm sorry that you too have experienced the issue, it is encouraging that it's not only within our organisation and points to an issues as we believed that is outside of our software stack. If you don't mind me asking what controller/software are you using?

Thanks

On 12/5/2020 at 3:32 AM, Tim__ said:

Sorry, I read your FGBW002 model as the RGBW 2 model.  You have found a weird bug!

No worries Tim, yes indeed we have found a weird bug, but it looks like we are not alone. 

For me same problem with this Window/Doorsensor FGDW-002 (v3.2 - prod date: 16.09.2020)

Every 4.30 minutes you see the blue led flashes 10-15 times, why I don't know.

Battery empty with 3-4 weeks. Strange, the V1 version I have with also default settings the battery life is 1 -2 years (with Temp sensor)

Try everything, exclude / include (on HC2 4.600 and HC3 5.061) Change all default settings to the minimum communication but nothing helps.....
    Who have the solution for this problem....

On 2/14/2021 at 8:07 PM, twanve said:

For me same problem with this Window/Doorsensor FGDW-002 (v3.2 - prod date: 16.09.2020)

Every 4.30 minutes you see the blue led flashes 10-15 times, why I don't know.

Battery empty with 3-4 weeks. Strange, the V1 version I have with also default settings the battery life is 1 -2 years (with Temp sensor)

Try everything, exclude / include (on HC2 4.600 and HC3 5.061) Change all default settings to the minimum communication but nothing helps.....
    Who have the solution for this problem....

Did you ever figure out the reason for this? I am seeing the same behaviour in one of 3 FGDW-002 door sensors.

Edited by Eppa

Reason never found. Send device back to web shop and get a new sensor.

Problem solved.