Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Anyway to analyse voltage @ dim level with dimmer 2?

MrNoTip

Question

Fairly sure the answer is no, but here we go.

Goal: CCT downlights with warm/cool circuits controlled by 1 dimmer each, but the drivers I was able to source are over the max voltage for the downlights ( I promise this will make sense below)

Long version:

I have just finished building my 'dream home'. Part of that was CCT downlights for my office....just like Hue deliver perfectly, but controlled by a standard wall switch.

I found these downlights that have three wires - shared positive and two negatives on teh low voltage side, each controlling warm/cool and out of the box they are controlled by fast switching.

But I wanted a more natural fibaro thing so we FINALLY (electricians had the specs for almost 2 years and never looked!) have two drivers going into each of these lights, on a figure 8 loop, with a warm and cool circuit, each controlled by one dimmer/switch.

TL;DR

All is going well...but:

LED downlights have no current control. If they are hooked up to more than half an amp, they melt my nice joinery, as discovered when I was testing things with the electricians who didn't know much about LEDs.

Manufacturer drivers:  550ma 17-22v CC drivers, with smart quick switching, so no good for the planned 2x dimmer controllers with 1 unit controlling only one circuit each.

Closest matching drivers (2x per light, in a loop, common positive): 500ma 20-40v.

Ok so I am losing my minimum dim by 3v, but the lower MA will compensate for that a bit? The main thing I need to do is put a ceiling on the max voltage ( as I found out by the freaking out lights when I didn't). 

I have found that 75% max dimming keeps the lights happy, but suspect they are being over volted. I know that I can get a multi meter up there, but the sparkies have already fucked my roof up enough that I am trying to minimise my pulling down of the downlights.

I have noticed (aw derr?!) that if I want to run both the warm and cold circuits, I need to run them at half dim to stop tjhe lights freaking out - but the overall effect is brighter 0 again - while this is great for working light, I ask why? Probably because the dimming curve is not linear and I am suddenly over volting these DLs even further.

REALLLLLY TL;DR: With constant current, variable voltage, trailing edge dimmers, can I figure out the voltage draw easily? 

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet