Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

New Build UK house, Neutral setup question

ItzMar

Question

Hi All,

New to the forum, looking for some electrical advise.

Moved into a new build house and spotted this behind the lightswitch, Will be looking to get some Fibaro Dimmer 2's setup once all fully moved in.

Looking at this backbox i see three earths and three maybe neutrals? put into a capped off plug.

Is this most likely to be neutral? Glad if this is the case as I didnt know this was the practice in the UK now.

Also if this is neutral, would i need to figure out which is from the main circuit or would all three need to go through into the Dimmer 2's Neutral port?

Thanks,

Mark

Please login or register to see this attachment.

6 answers to this question

Hi Mark - You can confirm which is the neutral by using a multimeter between earth and suspected neutral.  Given your question though, I would get an electrician to install the devices for you....there's no second chances with 230V if it all goes wrong!!  Agree though, nice if you have neutrals there ready and waiting.

I assume that all 3 blue wires are neutral. (at least according to that lousy photo). Certainly all 3 are connected by one terminal. For connection to the Dimmer, it does not matter which is the supply. Just add to these three blue ones (using the appropriate terminal blocks) and add this to the dimmer.
Be careful, Tim has already written, we may hear about you for the last time if you don't know what you are doing. Addressing an expert is the right choice ...
eM.

• Inquirer
  • 2 hours ago, Martin_N said:

I assume that all 3 blue wires are neutral. (at least according to that lousy photo). Certainly all 3 are connected by one terminal. For connection to the Dimmer, it does not matter which is the supply. Just add to these three blue ones (using the appropriate terminal blocks) and add this to the dimmer.
    Be careful, Tim has already written, we may hear about you for the last time if you don't know what you are doing. Addressing an expert is the right choice ...
    eM.

Yes appreciate that it is a crappy photo, havent been able to go back to the house recently though so its the best ive got.

There looked to be a 3 way connector, similar to the picture below, Martin just to make sure i understand you correctly, you were advising the simplist option is to use a connector with a wire going frm fibaro neutral port to a connector, in my case i will get a 4 way to be able to add my fibaro wire.

Please login or register to see this image.

/monthly_2021_01/image.png.aa18e728eda276241ad581c8fda86d72.png" />

Yes the right choice, I also use these terminals.
    Regarding the brown wire (phase). I assume that only one light is switched on in place. Then the supply will be on one terminal and on the same there will be an exit to another (2 wires on one terminal). The wire that will be alone on the switch terminal will be to the light. If you control multiple lights from the same place, the arrival will be at one terminal (separately) and the exit to the lights will be at another terminal (two wires).
    The surest way is to test it with the help of a tester so that when the light is turned off, the wire on which the voltage will be is supplied.

Once you have identified the need, you can start connecting. Mainly work with the power off.

eM.

Hi

Yes this looks like the lighting circuit as been looped through at the switch. There will be one cable live/neutral incoming and one outgoing to another room, the other cable will feed the light of the room. So all blues `should` be neutral two browns `should` be permanently live and one brown `switched` controlling the light. Therefore using the connectors you can take off a flying lead to the module as already described. But to repeat, check with a multi-meter first, controllers use the 0V to switch so be careful not to split neutrals otherwise full load will appear on one of them even though the light would not to be working.

@ItzMar @eboy

Yes, first of all caution...
    It doesn't really matter whether the module is switched to 0V (neutral) or the so-called "sharp" (phase), in the case of a dimmer modulated voltage.
    You need 1) caution, 2) thinking, 3) expertise.
    It easily happens that you catch zero (neutral) in the live circuit and "light up" the light bulb over yourself !!!