Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Motion being detected when there is none

MalcolmS

Question

Most rooms in my house have a Fibaro zwave motion sensor that send data back to an Aeotec zwave interface to a HomeSeer system.  They all work really well with the exception of one that frequently reports movement (detect then none) every minute or so. I can't see anything in the room that might cause this and at the time the door is closed and no one is in the room. 

This goes on for some time and either stops when I create some actual movement by entering the room or resetting the motion sensor.  When this is happening it floods the HomeSeer system with traffic such that it is either slow to respond to other traffic or misses zwave commands altogether.  This is an example of what I see in the HomeSeer log from earlier today Note that this is just a subset of data that went on for several hours during the night...

Jan-28 08:51:22 Z-WaveDevice: Gym Downstairs 62 Motion Sensor Set to On/Open/Motion

Jan-28 08:51:21 Z-WaveDevice: Gym Downstairs 62 Motion Sensor Set to Off/Closed/No Motion

Jan-28 08:50:50 Z-WaveDevice: Gym Downstairs 62 Motion Sensor Set to On/Open/Motion

Jan-28 08:50:49 Z-WaveDevice: Gym Downstairs 62 Motion Sensor Set to Off/Closed/No Motion

Jan-28 08:50:19 Z-WaveDevice: Gym Downstairs 62 Motion Sensor Set to On/Open/Motion

Jan-28 08:50:18 Z-WaveDevice: Gym Downstairs 62 Motion Sensor Set to Off/Closed/No Motion

Jan-28 08:49:47 Z-WaveDevice: Gym Downstairs 62 Motion Sensor Set to On/Open/Motion

Jan-28 08:49:46 Z-WaveDevice: Gym Downstairs 62 Motion Sensor Set to Off/Closed/No Motion

Jan-28 08:49:15 Z-WaveDevice: Gym Downstairs 62 Motion Sensor Set to On/Open/Motion

Jan-28 08:49:14 Z-WaveDevice: Gym Downstairs 62 Motion Sensor Set to Off/Closed/No Motion

Jan-28 08:48:43 Z-WaveDevice: Gym Downstairs 62 Motion Sensor Set to On/Open/Motion

Jan-28 08:48:42 Z-WaveDevice: Gym Downstairs 62 Motion Sensor Set to Off/Closed/No Motion

Jan-28 08:48:12 Z-WaveDevice: Gym Downstairs 62 Motion Sensor Set to On/Open/Motion

Jan-28 08:48:11 Z-WaveDevice: Gym Downstairs 62 Motion Sensor Set to Off/Closed/No Motion

Any idea what might be going on?  The sensor settings are all default.

Malcolm

3 answers to this question

Check the firmware version, perhaps there is an update

swap the pir with another room and see if the problems goes to the other room (then pir is faulty)

I also observed this behavior. Sometimes I could fix it with a new battery. But not always. What also annoys me

a lot is that I often have to walk up to 3 meters in the room until the sensor triggers, but sometimes it triggers immediately.

And that is not a malfunction of the controller, because I have a direct association with a switch.

So not very reliable. Or as @akator already mentioned, it is defective

• Inquirer
  • @jwi - sometimes a new battery fixes it temporarily for me too.  The battery is currently showing 55% so I'm not inclined to try that just yet.

@akatar - I've moved the sensor to another room and will keep an eye on it for a day or two to see hat happens