Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Dimmer 2 with an Outlet

TJC

Question

Hi,

I'm connecting my dimmer 2 to control lights plugged into an outlet. My problem is that I am reading 80 volts whether the Dimmer is on or off. I am not hearing any clicking when I change the state of the device to on or off like I do with my enerwave relay. Should I hear a faint click when changing states? I have many zwave devices. I've connected Neutral to my outlet and Dimmer 2. Line is connected to Dimmer 2. Load is connected between outlet and Dimmer 2. Could this be a defective device or could there be another reason?

Thanks!

-TJ

3 answers to this question

A clicking sound occurs when a relay turns on or off. There is no relay in the dimmer 2, it uses solid state electronics. 

Are your lights permanently connected to the dimmer? You might need to do another calibration.

Hopefully you are not using a standard power point, because if you happen to plug in another device it may blow the dimmer2.

• Inquirer
  • They are not hard wired but I don't plan to unplug them or connect any other device to the outlet.

I'm planning to exclude the device, turn off power for more than 5 seconds and try the process over again.

Still trying to figure out how to see all the parameters via smartthings.

Keep in mind... Dimmer 2 needs a load to start. If you don't want light bulbs on the output, the recommended way is to attach a "bypass 2" as load. Or you'll have to remember, if you have a power cut and there is no load, then Dimmer 2 will not start.