Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

HC3 Vs HC2 - Should i upgrade

Hallamnet

Question

Morning all. 

I have been an early adopter of the Fibaro HC2 and have well over 100 Z-Wave devices on my network including integration with Sonos, Harmony, Samsung, LG and devices from Aeo Tech, Fibaro, TKB, POPP and a few more. I have had the usual issues of scenes locking up and having to re associate certain devices and rebooting the HC2 sometimes to bring it back to life. 

@Sankotronic - I heavily use your scenes and must say my lighting, "Just works" with your smart light scenes and would love to use these again on the HC3 when you have converted to the new LUA version. Also use the universal alarm scene fir flood and fire alarms. 

My question to you guys is this: - Is the HC3 worth the upgrade at this point?  Have people found it better/more reliable. I have the means to upgrade and so tempted but just want to find out what the real work has to say from testing over the last year. 

Look forward to the replies. 

Thanks,

Hal

6 answers to this question

Hi,

the opinions are  devided.

If your HC2 is stabile running you need to ask yourself why I need to update?

if you need a fast and easy adding device gateway >>>HC3

If you have patience perhaps the reason can be to use all "future" posibilities of HC3>>>HC3

If you come close to the limit of devices you could thing to make HC3 main controller and HC2 slave>>>HC3

As long Fibaro will suport HC2 is there need to change?

Just a few arguments to take in concideration.

I had for several years HC2 and since January my HC3 is in fully operation of my HA (bought in June).

Succes,

//Sjakie

3 minutes ago, akatar said:

hc2 can not be a slave for hc3

not from a Jedi, go to the dark side and make use of HC2Proxy

1 hour ago, Hallamnet said:

Fibaro HC2 and have well over 100 Z-Wave devices

HC3 can be only improvement here

Samsung, LG 

plugins? they not available anymore on HC3. I just ported Samsung HC2 plugin to HC3 as QA, so it's possible now, LG on to-do

I have had the usual issues of scenes locking up and having to re associate certain devices and rebooting the HC2 sometimes to bring it back to life. 

oh well, as you can't migrate any scene directly - and have to re-write them - you will get rid of locks :P

With the new lua engine model, and QAs one might get thigs running better, however not every "magic scene/VD" from HC2 has been or will be ever migrated by authors.

@Sankotronic - I heavily use your scenes and must say my lighting, "Just works" with your smart light scenes and would love to use these again on the HC3 when you have converted to the new LUA version. Also use the universal alarm scene fir flood and fire alarms. 

that's already example from what i wrote above

My question to you guys is this: - Is the HC3 worth the upgrade at this point?  Have people found it better/more reliable. I have the means to upgrade and so tempted but just want to find out what the real work has to say from testing over the last year. 

i is better as such, it gives more options, but as i said above, you might do things from scratch again - maybe better, maybe not.

Having lot of inteegrations/scenes, it creates lot of work to get them running (again) on HC3, but generally it's better idea to look forward and use HC3. On the other hand, you might wait till new z-wave engine for HC3 has been released (Q2/Q3), that will make z-wave related things better than today. 

Edited by tinman

2 hours ago, Hallamnet said:

I'm still busy with UHAS for HC2 and I expect to finish it not later than the end of this summer. Then I will start working on UHAS for HC3. I'm already partly working on HC3 QA and scenes to be prepared for it. Will see if I find some time I might also port mentioned scenes to HC3 in foreseeable future as a part of preparation for HC3 UHAS. I agree with @tinman that HC3 is offering much more than HC2, but in my case I will wait until I finish work on UHAS for HC3 so I can easily transfer my system from HC2 to HC3.

Of course this is my planning and I'm not suggesting anyone to wait for the upgrade.

• Inquirer
  • Thanks all for the replies and apologies i have not got back sooner. 

Valid points raised and why replace something that's kind of working.

I am going to wait for the release of the UHAS Sankotronic is kindly working on and will deffo move over maybe 2nd half of this year. Just wish my scenes and certain devices would stop locking up:(