Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Momentary Switch doesn't Dimm/Bright/On/Off

Damianjb

Question

Hello.

I'm testing an RGBW Controller 2 with an RGB LED strip. There is a momentary switch on Input 1. On a fresh install the switch works (On/Off/Bright/Dimm) with one push (on/off) or holding it (bright/dimm). But, if a change anything from the app or the browser, the On/Off/Bright/Dimm functions stop working. Instead, every time I push the switch the color changes. If I switch the RGBW controller Off and On again the cycle repeats. It works until something is changed from the app or browser. I have also tried connecting the same switch on the 4 inputs simultaneously.

Parameter 14 is no longer available. (not on template or manual)

Parameter 150 is in RGBW Mode.

HCL - 4.610

Thanks for your time.

Edited by Damianjb

12 answers to this question

in RGBW2 controlling outputs is not direct like in older module in default parameters configuration.

To explain:

Output = brightness * channel setting 

Inputs controls channels settings but actual value is scaled by global brightness.
So, if globally brightness is set to 0 then all the outputs will be "off" even if colors are set to more than 0.

If you would like to control brightness using button it is possible if you change parameter 150 to value 1:

Please login or register to see this image.

/monthly_2021_04/image.png.386cc0b4537504c591b74ee2709c8a0d.png" />

Then, as stated on the image:
1st input -> controls Hue
2nd input -> controls Saturation
3rd input -> controls brightness

So, if you turned off the RGBW from the app or web interface in default settings you won't be able to turn it on by the buttons.

Regards,
Michał 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Damianjb said:

Parameter 14 is no longer available. (not on template or manual)

Cannot fully answer your question but this might point you in the right direction

- If you use the "template" for parameters, param 14 "disappears" because it is based on the pull down menu that selects RGB, RGBW or IN/OUT mode

- If you disable "template" then 14 is not there because you have to add it, and you can use the calculator on the website (see param 14) to calculate its value 

Please login or register to see this link.

- but...

- You mention parameter 14 which exists for RGBW version 1 (one) but you say "I'm testing an RGBW Controller 2" (two) and that device is quite different. 

Please login or register to see this link.

- based on your information I cannot tell which one you have. If it is fw >= 5.0 or says FGRGBW-442 then it is version "two"

If it is a RGBW2, then please check if what you observe has been reported by @alex88 here:

• Thanks 1

• Inquirer
  • Hi @petergebruers

It is a RGBW2. 

I'll check the post you mention to see if I find a similar problem and let you know.

Thank you.

• Inquirer
  • Hi @m.roszak!

I was aware of that parameter (150) but I thought it was for controlling the colors in another way. I also thought that RGBW Mode (0) would let me control the brightness of an RGBW strip. I was wrong and a little confused.

I set parameter 150 to 1 (like you said) and connnected the switch on IN3 and now it works PERFECT.

I could switch On/Off (1 push) and bright/dimm (Holding switch) and also do that from the app and web interface with no problems.

Thank you!!

• Inquirer
  • 8 hours ago, petergebruers said:

If it is a RGBW2, then please check if what you observe has been reported by @alex88 here:

@petergebruers.

Luckily, no bugs to report. I'was configuring it in the wrong way.

Thanks for your time.

Thanks for reporting back, glad it is solved and not a bug. I don't own an RGBW2 I did not "see" the link between your question and pin "IN3" being the solution (after setting p150 to 1). But thanks to @m.roszak we have seen the light (pun intended). Have fun with HA!

• Inquirer
  • 5 hours ago, petergebruers said:

Thanks for reporting back, glad it is solved and not a bug. I don't own an RGBW2 I did not "see" the link between your question and pin "IN3" being the solution (after setting p150 to 1). But thanks to @m.roszak we have seen the light (pun intended). Have fun with HA!

In HSB mode (150=1) the switch on IN3 allows me to Bright/Dimm. While 1 push allows me to (On/Off) and 2 pushes max brightness. 

These are the functions I was looking for. Sorry if I was not clear about that.

I don't understand the joke with HA. :-).

Edited by Damianjb

Oh, right, sorry, as a long time forum member I should have known that some abbreviations cause problems, @m.roszak is 100% correct. So "Enjoy your Home Automation"

• Inquirer
  • Ohhh, right. I thought you were talking about "Home Assistant" ???.

I'm from Argentina, still getting used to some abbreviations.

Thanks to all!!

• Like 1

I am glad that everything is clear now and works as supposed. 

• Like 1