Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

35 Foot LED Strip Run

Eric-

Question

Hello,

I was wanting to get some feedback on how I would connect a long strand of LED light strips together. Below is the layout on how I think it may look. It appears my bottleneck is my Fibaro RGBW controller. It only supports a max length of 2 meters and combined 12A (sum of all connected output channels); 6A for single output channel.

I already have this controller and would like to use it if possible.

I will need to light up ~35 feet of COB LED light strips.

Below is the product I'm looking at:

Please login or register to see this link.

Power: 12W/m, 60W/roll

Total Power would be ~128 Watts 10.6 A for 35 feet.

I figured a 200W Power Supply would suffice

200W * 0.8 = 160 W / 17 A

Please login or register to see this link.

The problem I have is how to do connect the light strips together without overloading the controller?

I think I can connect the first 4 zones fine, but zone 5 and zone 6 I'm at a loss as to where the amplifier would go. Or, do I need to use another controller for that?

Feedback is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Please login or register to see this attachment.

5 answers to this question

If your power calculations are correct, 

then you could connect
Zone 5 to any of the other zones for  example. Zone 1:           21W + 24W = 45W / 12V = less than 4 A

Zone 6 to any of the other zones for example also to Zone 1&5: 24W + 45W =69W / 12V = 5.75A

This comes close to the 6A max per channel but should still be OK.

To be on the safe side I would connect it for example like so:

Zone 1  + Zone 5

Zone 2 + Zone 6

Cheers

• Inquirer
  • 10 hours ago, pflugj said:

If your power calculations are correct, 

then you could connect
    Zone 5 to any of the other zones for  example. Zone 1:           21W + 24W = 45W / 12V = less than 4 A

Zone 6 to any of the other zones for example also to Zone 1&5: 24W + 45W =69W / 12V = 5.75A

This comes close to the 6A max per channel but should still be OK.

To be on the safe side I would connect it for example like so:

Zone 1  + Zone 5

Zone 2 + Zone 6

Cheers

So is exceeding the 2M distance not that relevant? I'm a bit confused on their wording. Is the 2M distance restricted per channel or the overall sum from all the channels? Combining two zones would exceed the 2M recommendation. I'm assuming it would be because of voltage drop.

Does that mean OUT1, OUT2, OUT3, and OUT4 can only support 3A each? Or, one channel can support up to 6A and the other channels can range from 0-6A but the overall total from all channels must be below the 12A threshold.

Going by your zone recommendation

OUT1 = Zone 1 + Zone 5 = 1.68 A + 1.98 A = 3.66 A

OUT2 = Zone 2 + Zone 6 = 1.68 A + 1.98 A = 3.66 A

OUT3 = Zone 3 = 1.68 A

OUT4 = Zone 4 = 1.68 A

Total Amps for everything is ~11 A which falls under the 12A requirement and the highest channels would be ~4A. The only factor is that the length of OUT1 and OUT2 would be 3.66 Meters which exceeds the 2M maximum. What do you think?

Or, would it be better if I switched to 24V instead of 12V? That would lower the amperage even more per channel?

Edited by Eric-

The controller is only concerned about the max Amps that the strips draw per output and combined! 
    The problem with longer strips is, that you have a Voltage drop because of the relative small PCB conductors on the LED strips.
    This will be only visible (at ~full power) at longer strips may be as from ~2.5m  - the LED's will be less brighter along the length of the strip.

Just connect the full length strip to your PSU and you will see.

If you connect lets say 5m of your LED Strip @12W/m  then the total power draw = 60W ( well within the limits of a single channel)
    Which means 5A @ 12V  or  2.5A @ 24V

The Voltage drop will be less @24V.

But when using a RGBW Dimmer you most likely will dim the strip and NOT use the maximum power at all. 
    (Otherwise you could just switch the PSU). 

I would not be too much concerned about that unless you need absolute the same brightness along the length of the strips.
    I think your setup will work quite well.

But be aware that these strips do get hot at full power!

(I glue my strips to Aluminium profiles for better heat distribution)

Just make sure that the connecting wires between the controller and

the strips are sufficient to carry the full Amps without significant losses.

chears

If you are still concerned about the Voltage drop,
    you could also change the controller position to the center of your zones.

I have a number of strips where 1 Controller feeds RGBW LED Strips (10W/m @ full brigthness)

5m + 2.5m= 7.5m per RGBW channel = 7.5x10W=75W

Ore you can feed in power at the end of the strip or somewhere in between.

• Inquirer
  • 29 minutes ago, pflugj said:

The controller is only concerned about the max Amps that the strips draw per output and combined! 
    The problem with longer strips is, that you have a Voltage drop because of the relative small PCB conductors on the LED strips.
    This will be only visible (at ~full power) at longer strips may be as from ~2.5m  - the LED's will be less brighter along the length of the strip.

Just connect the full length strip to your PSU and you will see.

If you connect lets say 5m of your LED Strip @12W/m  then the total power draw = 60W ( well within the limits of a single channel)
    Which means 5A @ 12V  or  2.5A @ 24V

The Voltage drop will be less @24V.

But when using a RGBW Dimmer you most likely will dim the strip and NOT use the maximum power at all. 
    (Otherwise you could just switch the PSU). 

I would not be too much concerned about that unless you need absolute the same brightness along the length of the strips.
    I think your setup will work quite well.

But be aware that these strips do get hot at full power!

(I glue my strips to Aluminium profiles for better heat distribution)

Just make sure that the connecting wires between the controller and

the strips are sufficient to carry the full Amps without significant losses.

chears

Thank you for the detailed report! I'll definitely look at switching everything to 24V to help lessen the voltage drop. Glad I won't have to use any amplifiers and just can combine zone 5 and zone 6 with two other zones. I'll have to buy a slightly larger PSU. I did just want to stick the LEDs directly to the bottom of the shelves, but I guess I'll buy some aluminum channels to fit them in. I'll rework the layout I have and if you don't mind I'll post an updated one on here and can confirm that should work.

Again thanks for taking the time to review this!

Edited by Eric-