Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Fibaro Wall Plugs: Is there a difference between toggling through Z-Wave and through physical button?

Wigster

Question

Hi,

I am using the Z-wave wall plugs with Home Assistant. I have a bunch of automations, which switch the wall plugs on/off, but would like to be able to override them with the press of the physical button on the plug. However, it seems that in Home Assistant at least there is no different between the plug switching because itis instructed to do so over Z-wave and the plug switching because the buton is pressed. This means that if I code up an override script to shut off if the physical button is pressed, this script is launched whenever the instruction to turn the plug off is sent over Z-Wave.

Is there some way of differentiating between the plug switching off with a physical button press and the plug being switched off through a switch_off command sent over Zwave? Maybe a concrete example:

I have an electric heater plugged into the wall plug and have it combined with a temperature sensor in my bathroom to form an effective thermostatic climate device that maintains a target temperature. This switches on under some predefined parameters (e.g. it's cold in the morning) and cycles the wall plug/radiator.

I then would like to be able to switch the heater off by hand with the button press, disabling the climate device. So I connect a thermostat-off script in Home Assistant to the button press. This script is now launched every time the plug switches off, e.g. also when the thermostat reaches the target temperature and wants to disable to wall plug for 15 mins before heating again. This is not what I want.

2 answers to this question

Hi @Wigster,

Fibaro Wall Plugs do not have send scene as their feature, so physicall button is the same as Z-Wave control.

Maybe Walli Controller or other battery based Z-Wave scene controllers could do the job (activating scene).

What @jakub.jezek plus this: imho very few devices allow you to separate the "buttons" from the "actuators" or relays. This surprises users that come from other HA systems, like KNX which clearly separates the actuators from the sensors/switches. That said... This is not the appropriate forum... But it is possible to have devices based on other standards and change the firmware to do what you want. That is 100% illegal in Belgium and probably in many other countries as well because you are (maybe) overriding or at least changing the safety aspects of the device. In addition to what @jakub.jezeksaid, the Fibaro Smart Implant comes to mind, but that is a low power and  < 24 V DC device. It is the successor of the Fibaro UBS, which does not allow you to separate the input from the output.