Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Aeotec Home Energy Meter

spoon

Question

Hello!

I want to see the total electricity consumption of the building. My question: does anyone use Aeotec Home Energy Meter? Or something similar you use? I will be glad to receive any advice.

link for this device 

Please login or register to see this link.

Thank you! 

Hello, Spoon

I have a 3 phase meter from Aeotec, connected with a HC3, but getting the value displayed on the HC interface is not easy (at least for me, as I just started few day back)

See the meter below

Please login or register to see this attachment.

And to see the readings I have to check under device, settings, ...;

The latest HC3 firmware which suppose to have a better energy management interface, is not actually reading the Aeotec values at all (just a sum of all plugs, in the house),

See below the readings for total W (I assume so since there is no actual "manual" to clarify this matter)

But before getting even the above info into the HC3,I had to input one parameter manually, see picture below (the local Fibaro supplier helped with that);

after that I push a soft reconfiguration and the parent device with 12 child devices they start to report the values (one sensor for W total, and per phase, plus V and A total and per phase).

I do not check them yet by other means, but they seem to be as suppose to be. However getting these  values displayed properly in a HC3 home screen I do not know how to do it.

I hope that this help

Edited by CCF

Hello @VascoFilipe,

If I understood correctly how this meter works and send the reports, the HEM 3phase Gen 5 it will work with Fibaro HC3 and according with some other sites it will work also with HC2;

Regarding summing up the 3 phases, this should  not be the case due to various reasons: the main one being that HEM Gen 5 it will provide you the reports with whole house consumption see the attached PDF " Home Energy Meter Gen5 setting your sensor to report"; 

I am not sure for the HC2 how the settings it will happen, but you may have to setup some HEM parameters to ensure that reports are as you want, see for example the settings for homeseer, and I use similar for HC3 (refer to attached); these will create a lot of child devices, and usually the first ones should be the Total :kWh, W, V, A

Please note that all the above are my assumptions only: i.e. I could not find any documentation or guidance and since I am also a novice in the field, I may be wrong

Any way in HC3 now Fibaro they update once more the firmware, and they change now the number of child devices and are double (1 set for consumption of energy + 1 set for production of energy)

I hope that it will help; cheers 

• Like 1

On 5/27/2021 at 11:39 AM, spoon said:

@VascoFilipe I have HC2. And you have it not connected to what controller?

Hello, I took some time to investigate what was happening with my aeotec meter and it seems it wasn't being powered correctly, there was a neutral wire not properly connected. I now got it to work perfectly. What I find a bit boring is having to run through all 3 phases and sum it up to add my current power consumption. Not sure if there's something like a Quick App (or other wat to do it) that can automatically do this for me and displayed it as a device with this info (all 3 phases added up).

@CCF Hi there, I got to understand that there was a device that reported the sum of all phases correctly :)

Thanks for your input anyway

on the side question

I was thinking bying the Aoetec energy meter i live in Norway.

If i have 230 volt at home should i then get the one phase version or 3 phase, i see also in this thread one is using the 3 phase version

versions

Measure range of voltage:

80V~ to 150V~ (USA version, 2P)

180V~ to 260V~ (EU version, 1P/3P4)

220V~ to 400V~ (EU version, 3P3)

@mike79

With a 3-phase energy meter (220-400V), you measure the energy consumption of e.g. a 3-phase electric boiler or heat pump.
But you can also measure three separate 1-phase consumers.

But with a 1-phase energy meter (180-260V), you can only measure the energy consumption of your 1-phase washing machine, dishwasher, etc.

30 minutes ago, RH_Dreambox said:

@mike79

With a 3-phase energy meter (220-400V), you measure the energy consumption of e.g. a 3-phase electric boiler or heat pump.
But you can also measure three separate 1-phase consumers.

But with a 1-phase energy meter (180-260V), you can only measure the energy consumption of your 1-phase washing machine, dishwasher, etc.

So it does not depend on the power supply into the house, i thought 3 phase was 400 volt only.

But basically your saying that the 3 phase also works with 230 c, so if i buy that i am secured anyway ?

Dear @mike79

Depending of what do you want to measure, if you want to measure a single phase device (boiler or heater etc.), you should purchase 1 phase meter, but this is not really economical in my opinion, it will be better if you purchase a fibaro wall plug and you will be spending less and getting full control on the device.

The purpose of the HEM from aeotec is to provide a measurement at the source (at the entry in your premises, i.e. at the main panel from the energy distribution company) 

So if your supply from there is single phase: purchase a single phase Aeotec meter, but as far as I know in Europe since few years back, single phases supply are not really encouraged, these can be found in old house/apartments but I may be wrong, check your main incoming panel at your premises.

But if your supply from the energy company is 3 phases (most probably the case), purchase a 3 phase Aeotec HEM meter " Aeotec Home Energy Meter Gen5 – xxxA with three clamps"; please check your main breaker amperage if is less than 60A, then is 60A is OK, if is more than 60A, you should go for the higher amperage Aeotec meter ; i.e. 100A clamps or 200A clamps

However if you purchase a 3 phase meter you can used for 1 phase metering , but some settings should be changed in the HEM 

Or as @RH_Dreambox was proposing you can measure with a 3 phase meter, 3 individual circuits from your panel, but at this time you should not use the total readings in the HEM , and use only the reports per phase 

But if you purchase 1 phase meter, you cannot measure 3 phase consumption, (not even adding 2 x 1 phase meter; the reading will not be correct )

Please ensure that your are familiar with electrical connections, if you do not know how to, use an certified electrician: ensure that they will respect the clamps sens and order, plus the supply of the HEM should be done as per the book, otherwise the meter will not work or it will provide wrong readings.

I hope that above clarifies the electrical part of the Aeotec HEM

Edited by CCF
  • Thanks 1

• Inquirer
  • Hi!

I bought a HEM gen 5 with 3 clamps. And I have a question. Does it work correctly for you? Because I compare bills and sensor readings and there is a huge difference between them.  Hem readings are significantly lower than the current data. The support from aeotec cannot explain to me what the problem of incorrect readings is.

@spoon as for me yes.

pay attention on configuration, Sir

• Inquirer
  • Please login or register to see this image.

image.png.d9e51deebcf286d973633b6db8fd93af.png

@hater I think he shows me kW and not kWh. Is it possible? Because if I multiply this amount by the working time, it turns out the approximate value that is in the electricity bill.

Edited by spoon

to @spoon,

in response to

"... Does it work correctly for you? Because I compare bills and sensor readings and there is a huge difference between them.  Hem readings are significantly lower than the current data. The support from aeotec cannot explain to me what the problem of incorrect readings is."

I found that Fibaro HC(I have a HC-3) is not actually representing the power consumption properly (and each update, in the last months they "update" the power consumption module) hence I cannot trust the readings from Fibaro HC, it seems to be better in the last update, but only time will tell.

As a accuracy of the HEM for 3 phase it seems OK, but I have a raspberry pi aside with influx db & grafana (as described here 

Please login or register to see this link.

), where collect and display some data including the power consumption, and in the last 3 months the difference between the official meter and the HEM 5 readings was like ±20 KWH (on a monthly of 300-400 kWh) which is not bad (consider that readings may be taken a 1 day apart.

After the last update also HC is showing to the same power consumption for Oct 2021, as my data collected with InfluxDB & grafana

Please check the correct installation of the current transformers (the clamps) it is very important to follow the direction of the current flow as per the manual  (see below snapshot).

If one (1) clamp for (1) phase is on the reverse, then the meter may actually consider a that phase as a "production" of energy, hence the total readings will not be misleading (you can actually check this in Fibaro HC easy, if it will show production of energy, and you know that you do not have that, then this is the reason)

I just installed the HEM Gen 5 with 1 clamp on my 240V single phase installation and could include the device in my Fibaro HC2.

However I do not manage to configure it. HELP !!!

Thanks in advance for help & advice :-)

Edited by kweiss

11 hours ago, kweiss said:

I just installed the HEM Gen 5 with 1 clamp on my 240V single phase installation and could include the device in my Fibaro HC2.

However I do not manage to configure it. HELP !!!

Thanks in advance for help & advice :-)

OK - configured it with parameters from SPOON... Looking now for a VI to have a nice interface showing power (W) - current (A) - voltage (V). If someone has knowledge of such virtual device, please let me know.

Even I am planning to upgrade my home. I hope Aeotec will help me to automate my daily routine. I heard they are compatible with many devices and different brands.