Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Disconnected Device

ArjanC

Question

I've got a quite irritating problem with one of my devices..

in the garden i use a FGS-223 (double Switch) to switch the lights and the water pump, it's places in a waterproof wall box.

Every x day's the switch is unreachable, sometime a quick reconnect is enough.

The other time i must disconnect the powersource, reconnect the power source and try to reconnect it via de HC3.

But sometimes, as now, it won't reconnect. I have to remove the switch from the garden, place it in near proximity of the HC3 and reconnect.
That's very annoying..

The switch is about 6 meters from two other Fibaro Switches, both are not directly connected.
I've placed a Aerotek range extender but that didn't help..
Placed multiple Fibaro Wall Plugs but also didn’t help..
Reset of the zwave network also does not help..

Any great ideas?

3 answers to this question

Hi I dont have that great idea you are looking for.

I have a wall plug for the fontain 8 and 12 meters away from any powered device. Also sometimes loozing Zwave.

Since I placed a powered NEO Coolcam sirene and a wall plug within 3-4 metersproblem solved.

Should advice to see if you can add the switch on the place used.

Succe,

//Sjakie

On 7/12/2021 at 5:59 PM, ArjanC said:

I've got a quite irritating problem with one of my devices..

in the garden i use a FGS-223 (double Switch) to switch the lights and the water pump, it's places in a waterproof wall box.

Every x day's the switch is unreachable, sometime a quick reconnect is enough.

The other time i must disconnect the powersource, reconnect the power source and try to reconnect it via de HC3.

But sometimes, as now, it won't reconnect. I have to remove the switch from the garden, place it in near proximity of the HC3 and reconnect.
That's very annoying..

The switch is about 6 meters from two other Fibaro Switches, both are not directly connected.
I've placed a Aerotek range extender but that didn't help..
Placed multiple Fibaro Wall Plugs but also didn’t help..
Reset of the zwave network also does not help..

Any great ideas?

It might be worth to mention a few things. These are based on my personal experience as i have seen devices 5 meters away from the HC that had troubles connecting and i have also seen devices 25 meters away with direct connection.

First it is important to know how is the distance between the gateway and the device.  If there are walls, glass or other things in between.  I mention this because if it is something like in the drawing and lets say the wall is concrete with some iron bars in it, then Switch 1 will have a good connection, but Switch 2 will struggle as the signal needs to penetrate a much bigger part of the wall or rely on bouncing.  Glass is even worse.

Please login or register to see this image.

/monthly_2021_07/image.png.6b85b48f6e1b0f04b5d0792d39cf2958.png" />

Then the waterproof box i assume is plastic.  Metal is definitely not good.

And also you mentioned that the devices are not in direct connection to the gateway.  Please keep in mind that Z-Wave only works 4 hops.

So if the route is very long it will create problems.  Thats why after cutting the power sometimes works , sometimes it doesnt - depends if it finds a suitable route or not.

I would take that switch out of the box and move it close to the gateway for a day or so and watch how it behaves. If it works as it is supposed to, then there is clearly a signal issue.

Cheers:)

I made the experience (not with z-wave, but different smart home system in the same frequency band), that plastic boxes for electronic components are often shielded even if they are transparent. I had to change the box and afterwards it worked.