Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

smart implant FGBS-222 with Soil Moisture Detection

silvertav

Hello everyone
I need soil moisture sensors to manage the sprinklers in the garden.
I was thinking of using a FGBS-222 smart implant by connecting it to a humidity sensor similar to the one shown below (or others).
Unfortunately I am not able to understand if I can use the AO or DO of the sensor.
Can anyone give me suggestions?

Feature:

Size: 36 x 15 x 7mm
Voltage: 3.3-12VDC
Current: working <20ma, output <30ma
Interface: +-DO AO
DO digital quantity / AO analog quantity
Uses: to detect soil moisture
Principle: The soil moisture probe detects the humidity, and the voltage comparator determines the humidity. When the humidity is greater than the set value, the DO outputs a low level.

Instructions for use:

1. “+” is connected to the positive pole of the power supply, and “-” is connected to the negative pole of the power supply. Do not reverse the connection, otherwise the chip may be burned out. After the power is connected, the “P” power indicator lights up and the module works normally.
2. The blue potentiometer can be adjusted clockwise/counterclockwise to increase/decrease the probe detection sensitivity. Take the “thermal sensor” as an example. Assume that the default is 25°C trigger and the “DO” output is active low. After clockwise adjustment, the temperature will trigger below 25 °C. Counterclockwise triggers above 25 °C.
3. When the potentiometer is adjusted clockwise until the “S” output indicator is on, it indicates that the adjustment range has exceeded the test threshold, and the counterclockwise adjustment until the adjustment cannot be made exceeds the threshold. When adjusting, the threshold cannot be exceeded, otherwise it will not work properly. When the potentiometer is used only for the "DO" port, it is not associated with the "AO" output.
4. The “AO” output is analog (voltage), which can be directly detected by the AD port of the MCU.

Please login or register to see this image.

abbfc30b-62ea-4fbc-bbed-b2d73ea33279.jpg.webp

I'd say you can use either. The analag output will let you take exact measurements, while the digital output acts likes a switch where you can set the sensitivity.  The analog output will allow you more granularity and flexibility. You'll need to experiment a little, a multimeter will help you see how the outputs respond to changing moisture.

The smart implant online manual shows you how to connect sensors, there is a diagram for a 0-10v analog sensor connection.

Its an interesting project - Please post back once you get it working!

it's in dutch but meaby it helps

Please login or register to see this link.

7 hours ago, Kage said:

it's in dutch but meaby it helps

Please login or register to see this link.

Actually there is a button on that page to get the English version too.

I did some research a while ago, and the Vegetronix sensor was highly rated for reliable soil moisture measurements.