Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Dimmer 2 (FGD212) in 2-way-wiring with 3-position momentary switches

Hman

Question

UPDATE (RESOLVED): Dimmer 2 was faulty. It was working for 1-way wiring but not properly for 2-way. After replacing the dimmer2 with another one, everything is back to normal now. 

Situation:
I have installed Dimmer 2 in the two-way lighting circuit, using two 3-position momentary switches.  Added Dimmer Bypass as well. The wiring is as follows:

Please login or register to see this image.

/monthly_2021_08/dimmer-2-wiring.JPG.83bbd32bd12dd3696e22b24fe7c2ac9c.JPG" />

Here is the main parameters for this use case:
- Parameter 20 is set to  2
- Parameter 23 is set to  1
- Parameter 26 is set to  0 (but tried 1 as well)

Problem:
A. When I click, on the first switch, upper button (s1) for the first time, the light comes ON but immediately turns OFF. The second time when I press it again,  it is fine i.e. light stays on. Same thing happens on the second switch as well. 
B. And if I press lower button on the momentary switch ( i.e. s2), lights gets OFF fine. 
C. Now if I wait for some time and then press the upper button again, same problem happens as described above in point A.
D. Same issue happens for my newly created scene where I turn ON all the lights by pressing Fibaro Button. All lights gets turned ON except the hallway light which turns OFF immediately.

I would really appreciate if you can help, thanks in advance!
Edited by Hman

14 answers to this question

Wiring is fine.

Have you tried calibrating the lights.

Parameter 13 set to 2

After that try changing parameter 34 to 2 if it doesnt work - increasing soft start

only other option i can think of right now is trying a different bulb and dont forget to recalibrate using parameter 13 set to 2

Edited by morpheus75
update

• Inquirer
  • @morpheus75 Thanks again but I cannot replace bulb on the downlight as using Aurora Mpro downlights (

Please login or register to see this link.

)

You are the 2nd person to have the same issue with the Aurora bulbs.

So far that's the only conclusion I can come to.

Other clients have different manufacturers of the bulbs and no issue.

My other client has 1 room with Autora and other rooms with other brands and it's the Aurora that is doing exactly what yours is doing.

My gut feeling is that it's the driver of the bulbs that maybe causing this.

Fortunately the lights work when you switch on twice so I would suggest when you are writing scenes for this particular room just send the ON command twice.

Might also be an idea to get I. Touch with Aurora tech support too.

I'm sorry that's all I can suggest at this time.

Thanks

I have exactly the same scenario. Dimmer 2 with 3 position momentary switches - roller blind type (I have 5 way switching I think) and 14 aurora gu10 dimmable lamps. The first time I switch on, it comes on for a second and switches off but the 2nd click, they stay on. This is true for any dimmable level, so at full brightness or dimmed. If I turn off and then turn on, they will come on with the first click but if I leave them a while, they need 2 clicks. 

I have these lamps :

Please login or register to see this link.

Edited by zedmeister

I too tried the slow start parameter and the recalibrate as well with no effect. Changed the bulbs to wessex 4.2w from toolstation, did the recalibrate and everything is fine now. Shame, as the bulbs were expensive. 

The auroras did work fine for a week or so before I had the problem though. 

• Inquirer
  • 2 hours ago, morpheus75 said:

You are the 2nd person to have the same issue with the Aurora bulbs.....

@morpheus75Many many thanks for sharing your experience. One thing though, I have same dimmer-2 in other 2-way lighting circuit (with same aurora mpro lights) but there dimmer-2 has been installed in the ceiling (with first auora mpro light connection) and it works fine. Here I tried behind the switch (to take advantage of s2 button which we cannot if installed in the ceiling in two wire system) and faced this problem. Do you think if I will install it in the ceiling this could work? Ideally, I don't want to replace the auroa mpro lights as it costed a lot and came with 5 years of warranty.

EDIT: Also, I have 11 other fibaro dimmer2 (nearlly 80 Aurora Mpro lights)  and they all work fine. But those are all 1-way lighting circuit except for one 2-way circuit where dimmer2 is installed in the ceiling as mentioned above. So this concludes there is something else, may be fibaro dimmer2 doesn't work properly in 2 way lighting circuit if installed behind the switch and using 3-position momentary switch?

Edited by Hman

• Inquirer
  • 2 hours ago, zedmeister said:

I too tried the slow start parameter and the recalibrate as well with no effect. Changed the bulbs to wessex 4.2w from toolstation, did the recalibrate and everything is fine now....

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience. In my case I have Aurora Mpro lights and they work fine with 11 other 1-way lighting circuits. Problem is only specific to 2-way circuits where dimmer2 is installed behind the switch. Therefore, in my case aurora mpro lights are fine.

That's interesting observation. I haven't come across that scenario before. 

This would suggest inductance within the wires.

Will keep this in mind for future jobs and see if anyone else experiences the same issues. 

• Inquirer
  • 2 hours ago, morpheus75 said:

That's interesting observation. I haven't come across that scenario before. 

This would suggest inductance within the wires.

Will keep this in mind for future jobs and see if anyone else experiences the same issues. 

I think you are right, just measured the current and one of the wire is showing nearly 60V instead of 0V. This is definitely due to wires running parallel and resulting inductance. I will move the dimmer2 to the ceiling (currently behind the switch) along with light. I will update you if this fixes the problem.

3 hours ago, Hman said:

I think you are right, just measured the current and one of the wire is showing nearly 60V instead of 0V. This is definitely due to wires running parallel and resulting inductance. I will move the dimmer2 to the ceiling (currently behind the switch) along with light. I will update you if this fixes the problem.

Thanks - very useful to know for my future installs.

• Inquirer
  • Good news!! Issue has been resolved. The root cause of this was a faulty dimmer2. After replacing dimmer2, everything is working as expected. It has been installed behind the Switch and with momentary 3-position setup, all good now. 

This was the first faulty dimmer2 but although it's rare, please keep in mind it could happen; so always worth replacing it if other options doesn't work.