Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Smart garden watering

Hello guys,

I'm studing a way to watering all kind of plant in the garden.

After that i'll implement sprinkler system inside this project.

All plant needs different water quantity.

I wanna use a lot of smart implant + 12v water valve + soil moisture sensor + temperature sensor.

I see that smart implant can read DHT22 and DS18B20 sensor.

I've also seen that there are some incomplete information on internet.

I have NEVER used sensor like that, so i have LOT of question in my head.

The aim of this project is to create some block scene where you can move output of smart implant in base of input condition + wheater prediction.

First question: have someone done something like that before? 

I see on forum that fibaro may encounter problem with dht22 sensor, is it better to choose a ds18b20 sensor?

Is a sensor like this ok for smart implant? Can i connect it directly on smart implant device? 

Please login or register to see this link.

If this is not ok, can someone suggest me a right soil moisture sensor?

Can dht22 and ds18 sensors be read without creating virtual device?

Thank you

Hi Marco - Sounds like an interesting project and technically this can be done.  I've just started investigating something similar.  Some points to help:

The moisture sensor I have not used, but in my research I found that those capacitive sensors are not recommended (they corrode).  Instead try the Vegetronix VH400.  There are a couple of posts on this forum about it.

You will need a slave relay between the smart implant and solenoid, or you'll burn out the smart implant.

Your DS18B20 connection will go smoothly if you follow this guide: 

The DS18B20 can be read without creating a virtual device, so you can use it in block scenes.  However, I found that using a virtual device is handy because you can include customised LUA code that allows much more flexibility (I had to learn LUA though!)

15 hours ago, MarcoSmartForYou said:

I see that smart implant can read DHT22 and DS18B20 sensor.

The DHT22 isn't really suitable for outside use, is meant for inside use. The DHT22 sensor is originally an Indoor sensor. For outdoor use it appears to be rather sensitive to water condensation after 100% rel.Humidity that keep it for very long time (sometimes forever) at 99.9% value. Also it appears to be sensitive to high UV light, which tends to cause the sensor to crash until hard power-loss restarted.

• Like 1

Eddy that's good to know about the DHT22 being an indoor sensor. I have one outside under cover and the humidity is always about 90%. I thought it was a faulty sensor but your explanation makes sense.

25 minutes ago, SmartHomeEddy said:

Ahora uso los sensores BME280 (también admite presión de aire) 

Hello, could you explain a little more in detail how you have it done?  I'm quite interested.

I use the BME280 in a do-it-yourself Air Quality Sensor. (The DHT22 didn't worked well in the outside environment)

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• 10 months later...

You are doing a great job I am brand new to

Please login or register to see this link.

. Very first kit. Everything seems to work.

How do I confirm that I have the right sensor paired with the right solenoid relay/water source?

I don’t see an obvious way to identify which solenoid relay corresponds with the sensor address.