Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Bought a home with an HC2. How do I log in?

Wigster

Question

Hi,

We just bought an apartment in which the previous owner had a Fibaro HC2 controlling a whole bunch of TRVs/light switches/blinds, I believe everythign working on ZWave.

I have now have connected the HC2 to my own router/network, but it seems to be set to pick a static IP from the range of 10.0.0.x, while my network is on 192.168.0.x. The controller is doing it's thing, running the automations over the ZWave controller, but I do not have access to it.

The ex-owner can't change the password, because the HC2 is not connected to the internet and I can't connect to it because it wants an IP from the wrong range.

What's the best way to proceed here? Making it worse is the fact that I have a feeling the ex-owner doesn't want to give me the password as it is since it's his password for many things. So he'd like to reset it to something else somehow first. 

I don't think I want to reset it and start from scratch, since I don't really know what the devices in the house are and how to operate them. I was hoping that having a look at what is set up in the HC2, I would figure out the brands of switches etc and how then how to ex/include them. 

7 answers to this question

edit - skip this :)  Go one post further for a perfect solution

I think it is best to put your router in the 10.0 ip range.

Perhaps before you do that, disconnect and turn off everything that gets ips from the router's dhcp server.

If he has changed the password, you can immediately put the HC2 in the 192 range, and then the router back again.

It's a bit tricky, but I think I'd do it that way.

Edited by ppeterr

Hi @Wigster,

Try following:

1. Set your PC into static IP address in your subnet 192.168.0.x. See How to set static Ip address via Control panel (Win 10). 

Please login or register to see this link.

2. Then go to advanced and IP address settings and in IP addresses add IP address from subnet 10.0.0.x, but different than HC2 IP address.
  3. Now you should have access to the internet and should be able to login to HC2 on 10.0.0.x subnet.
  4. Get previous owner to teamviewer to login to HC2.
  5. Change network settings to DHCP in Configuration -> LAN settings while you are in the menu.
  6. Login via new IP from your subnet (192.168.0.x).
  7. Change credentials in Configuration-> Access control.
  8. End teamviewer session.
  9. If HC2 is under your control (yours credentials and set to DHCP) set your PC back to DHCP.

• Like 2

@Wigster

Another important thing is that the previous owner must remove the HC2 from her cloud account so that you can create your own account.
Without a cloud account, you will not have remote access to your HC2.

Please login or register to see this link.

• Like 2

True, owner should do what @RH_Dreambox said.

Alternativelly you can send photo of label on HC2 to Fibaro support ([email protected]) and they can free that Home Center, so you can link it to your account. LAbel contains MAC address and serial number. Those two are needed.

• Inquirer
  • Thanks for your suggestions. I've managed to view the login page on the HC2 at least, so now the ball's in the ex-owner's hands. 

If worst comes to worst, is there some way of resetting the HC2 but retaining the Zwave network? I personally have a Home Assistant hub with a ZWave USB stick, which has its own memory independent of the HA which keeps on running even if the HA is powered down. Maybe something similar happens in HC2?

1 hour ago, Wigster said:

If worst comes to worst, is there some way of resetting the HC2 but retaining the Zwave network

No, Factory reset reset device completely, including Z-Wave chip.

• Inquirer
  • I've managed to convince the ex-owner to give me the login and the guide here from Jakub was v helpful. I have it on my network.

Thanks a lot!