Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Smart Module doesn’t start bathroom fan

Wigster

Question

Hi

i am trying to install the Smart Module FGS-214 to operate behind a single switch to run a bathroom fan. I think the fan is normal 230 V. I am in the continental EU. 

i have managed to get the module to start, pair to my Home Assistant and I can hear it click when I flip the switch in software. However, the fan doesn’t start. 

The live wire is connected to L and the fan load is connected to Q. The neutral wire is in N. I have also connected the switch across IN and S1, but this doesn’t change or do anything.

I can confirm with a current probe that the wire leading to L is always live, but the one coming out of Q never is, whichever switch position the Smart Module has. 

i have tried two different modules with the same effect. Is the reason that the fan load is too large and the module stops itself from connecting the current?

i am going to exchange this Module for a Switch 2, in case that can support the load better, but I thought I’d ask here before in case there is something I may have missed. 

7 answers to this question

• Inquirer
  • Ok I missed the fact it looks very different to the Switch. 

what does it mean that there are two connections going into both Q and In? Or is this just a representation of the internal wiring inside the module?

whereas I understand the diagram from the Switch manual, this one I am completely lost on. Where is the load?

and L to q in (so live to L and q in)

Edited by akatar

• Inquirer
  • Thanks a lot there. I've managed to do it. Indeed I misinterpreted the wiring compared to Switch 2.

For reference, the Smart Module seems to work ok when wired as:

Neutral to N

Live to both L and IN

Load to Q

Switch across S1 and Live.

Hello!

I’m new here, but I’m trying to achieve the same as you guys - that is connecting a smart module to the bathroom fan. My electrician struggled for a while, but after reading all of your instructions we managed to connect the module behind the switch that starts the fan.

My initial plan was to use this module with a flow that would turn the fan off 30 min after the switch (and the module) was turned on. So I wanted the original switch to work like before but with a timer that turns the fan off. However when I tried to create flows with the module, it seems the module doesn’t notice that the switch is being switched on/off (that s1 or s2 is triggered). So right now only manual actions are possible (flicking the physical switch on/off, turning the module on/off in app).

What is wrong? What is missing? We could not make sense of the one advice above saying “Switch across S1 and Live”. So we’ve done without that but:

Neutral to N

Live to both L and IN

Load to Q

Switch across S1

Could that be the explanation? If so- could someone please elaborate?

• Inquirer
  • Well, I am using Home Assistant for automations, so it may be different for you. Given how I've connected the module, I have a representation of the state of the module (a toggle) in Home Assistant. This logical switch is on whenever the power is being sent to the fan. I can flip it both by pressing the physical switch and by toggling it inside home assistant. If I toggle it inside home assistant, the fan also comes on -- so it goes in both directions. I have then written a bunch of automations that turn it on/off according to some rules, mainly based on the reading of the humidity sensor in the bathroom.