Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

QuickApp - Air Quality OpenWeatherMap

SmartHomeEddy

Question

The QuickApp Air Quality OpenWeatherMap provides the current and forecast measurements for your location on Air Quality. 

Besides basic Air Quality Index the QuickApp provides also data about polluting gases such as Carbon monoxide (CO), Nitrogen monoxide (NO), Nitrogen dioxide (NO2), Ozone (O3), Sulphur dioxide (SO2), Ammonia (NH3), and particulates (PM2.5 and PM10). 

This QuickApp has Child Devices for Carbon monoxide (CO), Nitrogen monoxide (NO), Nitrogen dioxide (NO2), Ozone (O3), Sulphur dioxide (SO2), Ammonia (NH3), PM2.5 and PM10 for current measurement. 

This QuickApp has also Child Devices for Air Quality Index, Carbon monoxide (CO), Nitrogen monoxide (NO), Nitrogen dioxide (NO2), Ozone (O3), Sulphur dioxide (SO2), Ammonia (NH3), PM2.5 and PM10 for forecast measurement. 

Please login or register to see this attachment.

This QuickApp has Child Devices for Carbon monoxide (CO), Nitrogen monoxide (NO), Nitrogen dioxide (NO2), Ozone (O3), Sulphur dioxide (SO2), Ammonia (NH3), PM2.5 and PM10. 

Common Air Quality Index (CAQI)
The Common Air Quality Index (CAQI) is an air quality index used in Europe since 2006. In November 2017, the European Environment Agency announced the European Air Quality Index (EAQI) and started encouraging its use on websites and for other ways of informing the public about air quality. 

As of 2012, the EU-supported project CiteairII argued that the CAQI had been evaluated on a "large set" of data, and described the CAQI's motivation and definition. CiteairII stated that having an air quality index that would be easy to present to the general public was a major motivation, leaving aside the more complex question of a health-based index, which would require, for example, effects of combined levels of different pollutants. The main aim of the CAQI was to have an index that would encourage wide comparison across the EU, without replacing local indices. CiteairII stated that the "main goal of the CAQI is not to warn people for possible adverse health effects of poor air quality but to attract their attention to urban air pollution and its main source (traffic) and help them decrease their exposure."

The CAQI is a number on a scale from 1 to 100, where a low value means good air quality and a high value means bad air quality. The index is defined in both hourly and daily versions, and separately near roads (a "roadside" or "traffic" index) or away from roads (a "background" index). As of 2012, the CAQI had two mandatory components for the roadside index, NO2 and PM10, and three mandatory components for the background index, NO2, PM10 and O3. It also included optional pollutants PM2.5, CO and SO2. A "sub-index" is calculated for each of the mandatory (and optional if available) components. The CAQI is defined as the sub-index that represents the worst quality among those components.

Here is a description of Air Quality index levels Pollutant concentration in μg/m3: 
          Index   NO2       PM10     O3      PM25 (optional)
Good        1    0-50      0-25     0-60    0-15
Fair        2   50-100    25-50    60-120   15-30
Moderate    3   100-200   50-90    120-180  30-55
Poor        4   200-400   90-180   180-240  55-110
Very Poor   5    >400      >180     >240     >110

See more on CAQI:

Please login or register to see this link.

IMPORTANT

• You need an API key from

• The API is free up to 60 calls per minute

Version 1.1 (10th November 2022)

• Added extra check for partly empty response ("coord" not empty but "list" is empty)
  • Added extra message to the labels and de log text if there is no response
  • Warning added in case the "forecast measurements" are not available

Version 1.0 (7th November 2021)

• Added forecast measurements with hours you want your forecast. The forecast is shown in child devices and labels for all measurements. 

Version 0.1 (9th October 2021)

• Initial version

Variables (mandatory): 

• apiKey = Get your free API key from

• latitude = latitude of your location (Default is the latitude of your HC3)
  • longitude = longitude of your location (Default is the longitude of your HC3)
  • interval = [number] in seconds time to get the data from the API
  • timeout = [number] in seconds for http timeout
  • debugLevel = Number (1=some, 2=few, 3=all, 4=simulation mode) (default = 1)

Please login or register to see this image.

/monthly_2021_10/openweather.png.8bc2df0570a90ba4b9205fbe6284b960.png" />

Download the QuickApp here (download the file and un-zip):

or from the Fibaro Marketplace

How to install: 

1. Open the Configuration Interface
  2. Go to Settings > Devices
  3. Click  +
  4. Choose Other Device
  5. Choose Upload File
  6. Choose file from your computer with .fqa

Edited by SmartHomeEddy
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

17 answers to this question

• Inquirer
  • Yet another quickapp to use with actual readings of Carbon monoxide (CO), Nitrogen monoxide (NO), Nitrogen dioxide (NO2), Ozone (O3), Sulphur dioxide (SO2), Ammonia (NH3), and particulates (PM2.5 and PM10) of your location. 

Edited by SmartHomeEddy
    • Like 2

This looks great again! I will definitely be using it soon. I live in an area where this is a big thing at the moment.

Tata Steel isn't far away, so I'm really looking forward to see the results. Thanks!

• Like 1

• Inquirer
  • With this quickapp you can measure several pollutions. With Tata Steel nearby, I would also recomment: 

or if you don’t want to assemble a sensor yourself, use one in your neighborhood :

@SmartHomeEddy Yes, those are on my to-do list for sure!

Also found out that i already have some other sensor's in my house:

TVOC, Humidity, ECO2 (not sure what that is)...A little suprise that came with rooting TOON :)

But thats for another day, and topic.

• Inquirer
  • ?

The sensor from sensor.community is meant for outside, so you know when to close windows. 

1 minute ago, SmartHomeEddy said:

?

The sensor from sensor.community is meant for outside, so you know when to close windows. 

Yeah great :) More stats! 

For now, I look at the graphs quite often and then I think hey where does that consumption spike come from in my electricity. very nice.

But maybe it's better not to see all the industry around my region, and what they're doing with air quality.

But still, I need stats!!!

• Thanks 1

• Inquirer
  • The next logical version is obvious. Soon to come, the QuickApp also with a forecast. In next version you determine the forecast from 1 to 96 hours. 

Testing in progress …

Edited by SmartHomeEddy

• Inquirer
  • Made some improvements in upcoming QuickApp Air Quality OpenWeatherMap. Testing still in progress …

• Inquirer
  • The new version of the QuickApp Air Quality OpenWeatherMap is available. Now you also can forecast measurements with 1 to 96 hours in the future. All forecast measurements are shown in child devices and labels. 

Edited by SmartHomeEddy

• Inquirer
  • I also updated the Marketplace: 

Edited by SmartHomeEddy

• Inquirer
  • The temperature goes up in Europe (and Holland). The air quality goes rapidly down. 

Hi SmarthomeEddy,

Thanks for the great QA. But I'm not quite sure how to install. So you write I need to get an API from openweather but also from Agromonitoring. I made both accounts but in the variables there is only room for one API. Should I setup something on one or both services? Also you write I should have a polygon ID. Not sure what that it and where I need that for. I do not see anything in my openweather account for this. I did made a polygon of my living area in agromonitoring but not sure if that is needed and how.

Anyway sorry for not understanding hope you can help.

• Inquirer
  • Sorry @ErikP for not being clear. You should have an API key from 

. I have changed it in the first post, there where two links mentioned. I have changed the text on the Marketplace also (is in review by Fibaro). 

(The polygon and API key from

is for the Agro Monitoring QuickApp)

If you use the API key from 

it will work. 

Edited by SmartHomeEddy

• Inquirer
  • I saw some empty or even party empty responses from OpenWeathermap.org. I have changed the QuickApp to handle with those (partly) empty responses and am doing some testing now...

• Inquirer
  • A new version is available which handles empty or partly empty responses better. 

Version 1.1 (10th November 2022)

• Added extra check for partly empty response ("coord" not empty but "list" is empty)
    • Added extra message to the labels and de log text if there is no response
    • Warning added in case the "forecast measurements" are not available

You can replace the source-code with the .lua file. 

On 10/9/2021 at 11:52 AM, SmartHomeEddy said:

Yet another quickapp to use with actual readings of Carbon monoxide (CO), Nitrogen monoxide (NO), Nitrogen dioxide (NO2), Ozone (O3), Sulphur dioxide (SO2), Ammonia (NH3), and particulates (PM2.5 and PM10) of your location. 

Hi Eddy,

After installation i see all the child devices and labels, but not this picture above, where can i see this?

Kind regards, Jappie

On 10/9/2021 at 11:52 AM, SmartHomeEddy said:

• Inquirer
  • Hi @JappieJ

The picture is Grafana, with data from InfluxDB. If you want graphs, you need to export the HC3 data to InfluxDB and use Grafana to create the graphs. 

• Like 1