Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

HC3 + HC2 + HC3L to provide better connectivity

stylo2

Question

Hi, I'm planning on a Z-Wave based HA system - mainly lighting really but will add more if reliability doesn't suffer with too many devices.

I already have an HC2 and was planning to get an HC3. Some questions relating to this that I can't find a clear answer to:

I can wire HC2 and HC3 into the same switch but if I add an HC3L which has no RJ45 socket does this then only communicate over WiFi or is there some way to get this physically on the same LAN using the USB connector? I saw a cable of some kind but really not sure if this USB connector is intended as a physical LAN connection as well as the power connection - doesn't mention it is PoE.

With a master/slave config - is there a limit to the number of slaves? I'm only using them to extend the reach as the house is concrete/steel over 4 floors and I MUST have contingency else I'm in trouble if we have a flaky HA for lighting!

When including devices (light switches mainly) do I add these onto the slave - assuming the slave is closer than the master hub? Or do all get added into the master hub and the slave just acts like a super relay passing the Z-wave content down the physical connection to the HC3 master?

When configuring a scene, can I have a trigger device (motion sensor or door/window sensor) start a scene that includes control of devices that are included in different master/slave hubs?

Are all devices visible on the master if I do all my config/scene creation from there?

Is there a better way to make 100% sure that I get guaranteed coverage? I can of course try without extra hubs and rely on the mesh network but I can see this having limitations due to 4 hops.

Are there other similar consumer targetted HA solutions that support a wired repeater to avoid buying more expensive hubs that I should look at instead for this kind of situation?

Many thanks for your input

5 answers to this question

any Chinese plug or Fibaro plug can work as repeater.

my home ~150m2 (2 levels) + wife garden, 100 devices.

was covered by single HC2 more than 3y.

from the 2020 it`s HC3.

PS: 

after announced about HC3 what support ZigBee not going to happen any time soon - now HC3 cover the same square, taking into consideration the fact that now I have only 13 ZWave device, other device now is ZigBee with another controller. 

6 hours ago, stylo2 said:

I

When including devices (light switches mainly) do I add these onto the slave - assuming the slave is closer than the master hub? Or do all get added into the master hub and the slave just acts like a super relay passing the Z-wave content down the physical connection to the HC3 master?

When configuring a scene, can I have a trigger device (motion sensor or door/window sensor) start a scene that includes control of devices that are included in different master/slave hubs?

Are all devices visible on the master if I do all my config/scene creation from there?

you use the master to add devices, before you can add them you have to choose on wich hc you want to add them. So it's important that you know wich hc is where.

Creating scenes is done on the master, you also see all devices there. It's not possible to see or use devices on slave units (actually you can but not as long there is a master/slave connection (afaik)

almost forgot, you can't use hc2 in combination  with hc3 units as master slave connection

Edited by akatar
  • Like 1

• Inquirer
  • 1 hour ago, akatar said:

almost forgot, you can't use hc2 in combination  with hc3 units as master slave connection

That really sucks! But thanks for the info so I guess If I go to HC3 I'll need to go with the HC3L which aren't too expensive but is a shame to retire my HC2!

1 hour ago, akatar said:

you use the master to add devices, before you can add them you have to choose on wich hc you want to add them.

Ah OK so the master sends the messages for devices associated or linked to the slave down the cable to then be forwarded by the slave to the local environment - makes sense

1 hour ago, 10der said:

ZigBee with another controller. 

What was your reason to switch from Z-wave to Zigbee? Seems devices are a bit cheaper on zigbee and here in the UK we can even get a built-in Zigbee wall plug socket which is a major saving

Yes cheaper. More than I bought in Alie for 3$ 10 chips with zigbee for fun and make and develop own zigbee devices ;) 

and last idk but my zigbee network more stable with zigbee2mqtt than HC3 with zigbee no strange delays I forgot what Zniffer for zwave is ;) and stop trying to find a black cat ?‍⬛ in the dark room… 

But 5cent 

I can’t find replacement for MS6 usb powered devices - its pity 

I can’t find a replacement for HEM3 

but that’s all ;) 

Edited by 10der

• Inquirer
  • yes MQTT is a nice lightweight protocol - used that a few years back for a railway track signalling monitoring system!