Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Control Dimmer 2 remotely using Smart Module/Switch 2?

Wigster

Question

Hi,

I would like to set up a remote switch to dim/control a light. I can put the dimmer at the light and control it through an app, but I would like to add a physical switch.

I have a single pole switch in the wall for something else and I can convert it to a double and use that -- that would be ideal. But how to achieve this in practice?

I was thinking of using a smart module to smartify the existing toggle switch then to use the S2 connector without a load to talk to the Dimmer remotely. I guess turning the Dimmer on/off is probably reasonably simple using an association, but could one do more? E.g. if I installed a momentary switch at the smart module S2 terminal could that somehow be used to change the brightness of the remote dimmer?

Or is there a better device/solution? It seems to me that there is (probably small) need for a device which would go behind a physical light switch but without any relays, just to communicate the switch state to the controller. Is there such a thing? Is that what a Smart Implant does effectively? Te advantage would be that it could be much smaller, so would fit into tiny switch boxes.

1 answer to this question

Yes, you could pretty easily use the smart implant to connect to the switch and write a scene that turns the light on and off. Note that although it is quite small, it runs on low voltage so you'd need a power supply as well. A fibaro switch would work fine as well.

With a momentary push button, you could also write a scene to control the brightness. Eg to cycle through predefined lighting levels 10% everytime you short press the button (this would need a global variable to record the brightness). A long press to toggle on and off. Double press for full brightness.