Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

QuickApps: Why isn't there more crowd solutions?

storskogen

Why isn't there more crowd soultion QuickApps?

Are the "experts" makin money on them or are there very few people using HomeCenter 3?

I trying to learn how to program and it doesn't seem to be to much trouble if the "other" product have a REST API?

I know it is diffrent users that run Fibaro and Home Assistant/OpenHab but it can't be the whole truth?

Is it because the evolution of Fibaro is to slow? Still we can't do much with Yubii app or widgets?

Fibaro sold sth like 23000 of HC3s, plus no idea 2k of Yubii/HC3L, so i think lot of ppl wrote already QuickApps for "almost everything".

However, some ppl do not share their work, others take money, and some are simply too lazy.

You can find lot of inforamtions and QuickApp at different sources:

free

Please login or register to see this link.

paid/free

• Like 2

Also the download section of this forum and the Fibaro Marketplace is poorly moderated by Fibaro. Every upload and every update needs a review from Fibaro and that can take a lot of time. It can take weeks or months or needs a lot of mails or tickets. And that doesn’t encourages people to share their work. I host my QuickApps on GitHub. I started deleting my QuickApps on the Marketplace. 

as long as people can not protect there code, most coders are not willing to share/sell there plugins.

why should they? they do all the work

and not everything in live is free, i have no problem paying for a good plugin while others want everything for free and even complaining why the code is not ready yet.

You are correct that it does take time to write/test/debug so i try to sell in volume.

i have written a few quick apps and i sell for £5 on my web shop.

They are selling well - so i cant complain and am writing more as i get time.

The price point is low so that it encourages people to pay for it rather than copy from elsewhere.

http://yorkshireautomation/uk/shop

is where i sell from and my YouTube channel explains how to install/use and setup

Edited by morpheus75
update description
  • Like 1

• Topic Author
  • 2 hours ago, SmartHomeEddy said:

Also the download section of this forum and the Fibaro Marketplace is poorly moderated by Fibaro. Every upload and every update needs a review from Fibaro and that can take a lot of time. It can take weeks or months or needs a lot of mails or tickets. And that doesn’t encourages people to share their work. I host my QuickApps on GitHub. I started deleting my QuickApps on the Marketplace. 

I guess they (Fibaro) is taking responsibilty to keep the customer safe by checking all apps to make sure no one is doing something bad. I can't remember exactly how long it took to get my Sony QA checked but I think it was less than 24h every time I uploaded a new version. It is a simple program so I gues it was fast to check. Months is not good ? Never thought about searching on GitHub.

1 hour ago, akatar said:

as long as people can not protect there code, most coders are not willing to share/sell there plugins.

why should they? they do all the work

and not everything in live is free, i have no problem paying for a good plugin while others want everything for free and even complaining why the code is not ready yet.

I understand the ones that want to sell their stuff, but I thougth that there would be more QA's coming when more units where sold but I guess there isn't as many "power installers" as the free platforms have? Maybe many installations is just done out of the box?

43 minutes ago, morpheus75 said:

You are correct that it does take time to write/test/debug so i try to sell in volume.

i have written a few quick apps and i sell for £5 on my web shop.

They are selling well - so i cant complain and am writing more as i get time.

The price point is low so that it encourages people to pay for it rather than copy from elsewhere.

http://yorkshireautomation/uk/shop

is where i sell from and my YouTube channel explains how to install/use and setup

I completly understand you. There is a lot of questions from users after the program is "released".

Im not a stranger to pay for something useful.

----

Maybe Fibaro should make it possible to sell QA's for a reasonable fee from Marketplace? After all, they would benefit from making the product more capable, as now it seems like they have enough working in squeezing bugs and don't have time to even deliver whats promised at release. Both HC2 and HC3 is not what I thought I would get when I bought them.

If I have to write every QA myself and hardwaresupport won't develop(and can't be upgraded with USB hadware), why should I buy it when I could get more for less with HA or OH?

My only reason to recommend Fibaro is that it is easy to setup if you just want to turn on and off your ligths, but if you want to do something really smart out of your home there is the same work with OpenHab, and with OH you can expand with Bluetooth, Zigbee, 443Mhz...

It gets expensive really fast with buying all Fibaro sensors/switches.

21 minutes ago, storskogen said:

Maybe Fibaro ... Marketplace?

there will be new marketplace next year, with support for code protection, i guess with "pay per use" option.

As HC3/HC3L/Yubii are using TPM to protect data, i can guess Fibaro will made use of it to protect QAs as well.

22 minutes ago, storskogen said:

Bluetooth, Zigbee

not sure about BT, but Fibaro is working on Zigbee implementation, once is ready (Q1 22) you will be able to use cheap zigbee devices as well.

On the other hand, lot of these devices are cheap for reason.

I know there are a lot more QuickApp around (I have and I know others have). But there has to be some encouragement to share (and maintain and service) them. 

On 11/20/2021 at 12:31 PM, SmartHomeEddy said:

I know there are a lot more QuickApp around (I have and I know others have). But there has to be some encouragement to share (and maintain and service) them.

Would be great if there was a existing/available QA list you an other experts made.

It hasn't to be on the marketplace, just an attachment list wich QA is available and who made them.

I would even pay for them because my expertise is still not good enough to make them myself. And when I buy one I maybe can also learn, how to solve/treat some problems.

Like you're P1 Monitor QA.

I think there is some holdback to publish the already made Quickapps, because when someone wants to use it (for free or paid), there also has to be some maintenance and service. Building Quickapps takes time, but maintaining and supporting them maybe more. I know that is one of the reasons you don't see all the Quickapps on this forum. I use Quickapps from others who don't want to publish them for that reason. 

There is more interest for paid Quickapps. The other reason is the lack of protection on the source code, but I understand the new Marketplace from Fibaro will solve that in Q1 2022. 

And for me one of the reasons is also the poor support from Fibaro to publish and distribute the quickapps with no hassle. Up till now that is not the case with the download section of the forum or the Marketplace. So I use Github to publish the Quickapps. Maybe the new Marketplace will solve that, I don't know. 

It is kind-of strange with the importance of Quickapps/integrations this is still an issue. 

Protection of the code will not solve the problem of maintanance/support. It will avoid that people with lack of knowledge will change the code.

I don't know if it would be possilbe that, if I like a QA,  protected or not, test this QA for a week for free, and then the QA will stop working. Then I can pay for the QA as is.

So you don't need any support or maintenance. Maybe if you was bored you made an update, you could share this update.

Nothing last for ever, and software is even worse.

Some extra info

On 6/18/2021 at 11:20 AM, M.Mróz said:

Sure, absolutely...control4 and not only. ?  Great way to protect the code and incentivize community for good work. 

and this

On 6/18/2021 at 1:37 PM, A.Socha said:

Like Maciej said, we got plan for this. One will be that client will dont need download Quickapp and later upload to gate. Marketplace will be integrate with gateway and client will dont have option edit to to look in api to see code

• 8 months later...
    2 hours ago, Tanzeelnawaz123 said:

I am new in this forum. I have some questions about this forum. These questions are shown below

:

If anyone has information about my question. Please give me answer below. I am very confused about this

Come on, whats wrong with you. You dont know Alf ?

Please login or register to see this image.