Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Standard 3-way lighting circuit simplified

Cliff In Auld Reekie

Question

Per earlier post.  Here is a simplified version of a standard 3-way circuit.  I don't believe the Fibaro can replace the Intermediate switch but how would the Fibaro Single Switch replace one of the two 2-way switches:  Live as Common; S1 and S2 as the standard S1 and S2; and then what does Q do???

A diagram of the internal connections in the Fibaro Single Switch would be helpful.

Thanks and any assist.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

5 answers to this question

In this scenario if you need all the switches to work then you can only use a Single/Double Switch 2, connected as shown by @RH_Dreambox

The only way to get a dimmer 2 to work would mean disabling 2 out of the 3 switches.

You would decide which is disabled by sending the SWITCHED LIVE back to SW1 or sending the PERMANENT LIVE to SW3 as per @Cliff In Auld Reekie diagram

• Inquirer
  • Ah!  Enlightenment.  Thanks.

So we have a 2-way lighting circuit (per my diagram above without the intermediate switch)... then the Fibaro sits on the end of that as an intelligent switch to actually manage the light.

Then the fibaro detects the on/off state from the 2-way circuit and manages the light based on what it sees there on S1 and what it is directed to do by HomeKit.  Interesting.

That's great and your help is very much appreciated.

Guys there is a better way to think of this arrangement. The 3 switches (as a group) just provide an on or off signal to the fibaro device. The device could be a switch, dimmer, smart implant, whatever.

But note this arrangement is considered a toggle switch. To use all the fibaro device functionality, momentary switches are needed (eg click to turn on, hold to dim). You can replace the toggles with momentaries wired in parallel - you will need one extra wire from the last switch to the device to achieve this.

Cliff, The dimmer 2 manual has a diagram of how to wire up this exact intermediate scenario (see diagram 4). Diagram 5 shows how to wire with momentaries. 

Please login or register to see this link.

• Inquirer
  • For completeness, thanks Tim.

Apologies, I didn't see the option to select in my profile that I have an Apple HomeKit gateway when I set it up.

So, using the switch directly with HomeKit means a dimmer is not an option for me unless Fibaro bring out a HK compatible one like the single switch.

I have a 3-way circuit with normal switches (2 x 2-way and 1 x intermediate) and had to move the Fibaro for better range so I dropped a 3+earth down to one of the 2-way switches (where I installed the Fibaro switch) so I presented L, N and switched Live (Q from Fibaro) from my lighting junction box.  It did the trick nicely for me.

• Like 1