Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

The damn thing keeps disconecting ;/

ppeterr

Question

I've been putting a multi sensor into use for weeks now. Can't seem to get that thing stable. As simple as it should be, it doesn't work.

One time it stays connected for a week, the next time the connection is gone a day later. Just a little while and I'll swing that nice ball over the hedge :P But maybe I'm doing something wrong, and do you have a good tip? I have set the wake-up time to 4000s, only set parameters 40 and 42 different. The rest is standard.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

ZW3.0 beta, right?
I have put a task to the backlog to verify this on our side, I will keep you posted.
If we won't be able to reproduce I will contact with you directly.

• Inquirer
  • 8 minutes ago, m.roszak said:

ZW3.0 beta, right?
    I have put a task to the backlog to verify this on our side, I will keep you posted.
    If we won't be able to reproduce I will contact with you directly.

Thanks for looking into it.

I dont think it is 3.0

If 5.091 didnt force it, i am still on the old version. Not sure where to check that.

Anyway, it has been a problem from the start. A few firmware's back also.

When i click zwave -> smart start, i get a protocol error. After a few time clicking it the menu tab opens normal and there is no error anymore.

Also then the connection comes back, and it starts working oke. ( i just found this out now) :)

Its Zwave 3.0 Beta :)
    Smart Start is not available with old Zwave.

• Inquirer
  • 1 minute ago, m.roszak said:

Its Zwave 3.0 Beta :)
    Smart Start is not available with old Zwave.

Well, it restarted the zwave service :) And started working again. Much better then a reboot :P

Also then zwave 3.0 is forced, before there was some option to install without zwave 3. 

Or i must have missed that somewhere...

Anyway, this was also a problem in the old zwave version.

Z-Wave 3.0 can be only selected manually after factory reset, during first configuration.
    By default old Z-Wave is selected and user needs to select new beta engine manually :)

If this was also a problem with old Z-Wave it will suggest problems with the range, how far is this Motion Sensor located from the gateway?
    Is there other devices in network (mains powered) which can work as repeaters? 

• Inquirer
  • 20 minutes ago, m.roszak said:

Z-Wave 3.0 can be only selected manually after factory reset, during first configuration.
    By default old Z-Wave is selected and user needs to select new beta engine manually :)

If this was also a problem with old Z-Wave it will suggest problems with the range, how far is this Motion Sensor located from the gateway?
    Is there other devices in network (mains powered) which can work as repeaters? 

Well, i see other users  have 100+ devices,  but i only have 2! 

The first is a 8 button in wall switch (sunricher rebranded) - 5 meters away from the HC3 - always online. (battery powered)

The second is the motion sensor, 6 meters away from the wall switch. (so about 11 meters away from the HC3)

So, really nothing special.

So, this switch is not a repeater if this is something like this (

Please login or register to see this link.

).

This motion sensor is 11 meters from HC3, does not seem far.
    Is there any obstruction there? Walls? 
    In some cases this can be too far for reliable direct connection.

• Inquirer
  •  

39 minutes ago, m.roszak said:

I must be confused by something else. I thought the new zwave engine was introduced a couple

of firmware's back. I've seen the option then to select the new zwave. And there was a note something

like "you need to reconfigure everything".  I have not done that for sure :)

2 minutes ago, m.roszak said:

So, this switch is not a repeater if this is something like this (

).

This motion sensor is 11 meters from HC3, does not seem far.
    Is there any obstruction there? Walls? 
    In some cases this can be too far for reliable direct connection.

No, its a open area. No obstructions. And yes it's like the one in your url.

Edited by ppeterr

Could you try to put the motion close to HC for test purpose? 
    Leave it closer for some time to make sure that the range is not an issue?

You can also use build-in range test in the FGMS to check how it is performing:

Please login or register to see this image.

/monthly_2021_11/image.png.ffa8db9a33b535b7b475f90386ad7107.png" />

It should stay green and pulse green, never change the color to yellow or red. 
    You can move around a bit to know where is theoretical range limit of the radio.

• Inquirer
  • 5 minutes ago, m.roszak said:

You can move around a bit to know where is theoretical range limit of the radio.

Yes, i will do this tomorrow! Great i did not know about the range test. But it would 

really be strange that it would be a problem. It's almost in line of sight within the 11 meters.

Then again, in the corner where the sensor is. I have also a unifi  in-wall acces point. And

a 433mhz hub for my powerview. And a (not sure what kind off connection for sub woofer and rears ) wireless soundbar.

So maybe that gives some problems...i hope not :)

433MHz is half of the frequency of Z-Wave modules, it should not (but may) interfere much.  

Keep me posted - we will find the cause. 

• Inquirer
  • Just now, m.roszak said:

433MHz is half of the frequency of Z-Wave modules, it should not (but may) interfere much.  

Keep me posted - we will find the cause. 

Tomorrow i will move the sensor to the other side of the room. Would give the same effect for my scene's.

But then for sure without all the other frequency stuff around it. Also i will do the range test.

Thanks for your time, i really appreciate it what you do for this forum.

• Inquirer
  • 19 hours ago, m.roszak said:

Oke, i performed the test.  Walked around the house, and except for the attick it stayed solid green all the time.

Only on the second floor, it changed 1 second to yellow.  So, the range seems to be good.

That is good, so range should not be a problem.
    Put the sensor to a different location mentioned before anyway - task for verification is already added to our backlog so we will look into anyway.

• Inquirer
  • 4 days later, and it is disconnected again. Browsing to the zwave/smart start tab results

in a "protocol error". Switching a few times to the firmware update tab, gives after 4 or 5 times a "bad gateway".

A few clicks later, the zwave -> smart start tab opens normal, the firmware update tab opens also normal.

And the sensor is reconnected.

Is there some log we can look into ?

I know you guys are very busy with the currenly running issues.

So, this can be marked as not urgent :)

Edited by ppeterr

7 minutes ago, ppeterr said:

Is there some log we can look into ?

Logs are encrypted. Did support ever mention to take a "logsdump" right after the issue happened? And send that to them?

Edited by petergebruers

• Inquirer
  • 1 minute ago, petergebruers said:

Logs are encrypted. Did support ever mention to take a "logsdump" right after the issue happened?

Not yet, i think they first want te reproduce. 

But maybe next time, when it happens, i'd better dump the logs.

Need to find out how first :)

I am not at my PC to check the exact command. It has probably been mentioned on this forum.