Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

How do strenght signal in HC3

Jaanus45

Question

Hello,

I have Heatit Z-Temp 2. Device is working good, but sometimes it freeze. I thing sometimes not enough signal to HC3.

How do strenght signal in HC3.

14 answers to this question

How many mains powered devices do you have? How are they distributed?

"My Z-Wave rules of thumb: less than 5 modules, sometimes issues because not enough devices to cover all areas. Between 5 and 20...almost never issues. Between 20  and  50... sometimes trouble. Between 50 and 100 devices real "weirdness" starts and communication gets "fragile". Above 100 make sure you have the tools to diagnose network issues (ie Zniffer, you can make one yourself) or get in touch with a good certified installer to support you (I am an end user, not an installer). Know about CPU and memory usage, know how to limit device reporting and sending too much data. Follow this forum. I have participated in many topics regarding "delays" and it is never easy..."

Without going in to detail (it is a bit tricky) - Z-Wave can "route around obstacles", as in this picture.

If this is your situation, adding a mains powered module or a wall plug might help. It is not a guarantee though, if you don't *know* what the issue issue isn then the proposed solution probable is nothing more than an "educated guess". But you may have a spare device, or maybe you were planning to add some modules, so it is worth trying.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Some devices have a built in signal strength meter, eg the Dimmer 2 

Please login or register to see this link.

If the Z-Temp 2 doesn't have signal strength built in, you could temporarily move a device that does to the same location?

• Inquirer
  • Hello,

I have 88 devices. I understand this I can go routed way like you shoW in the drawing but dont undrestood this assotsiation thing in HC3. 

On 1/16/2022 at 6:12 PM, Jaanus45 said:

How do strenght signal in HC3

I forgot to answer your question... The HC3 already uses an "amplifier" and your devices already run at maximum power. So there is no way to increase signal strength and there are also no competing products with more "signal"

16 hours ago, Jaanus45 said:

I have 88 devices.

Yeah, as Peter's Z-Wave rules of thumb say........ Between 50 and 100 devices real "weirdness" starts and communication gets "fragile". Above 100 make sure you have the tools to diagnose network issues (ie Zniffer, you can make one yourself)

16 hours ago, Jaanus45 said:

but dont undrestood this assotsiation thing in HC3. 

Associations have nothing to do with it. EDIT: to be more precise... If your module did not have the right association, then it would always fail. But you say "it sometimes fails" meaning the association is there, but communication is not allright or module does not send data.

If you meant to write "routing" instead of "association" then don't worry either, 99,9% of all users do not fully understand Z-Wave routing and I am not trying to insult 99,9% of the population. LOL Routing is just a bit weird.

If you want to learn about routing I can give you some pointers. But I wouldn't start with that topic... I can highly recommend this post first:

If you don't want to start digging yourself, your only other option imho is to contact a certified reseller (who has the skills and tools).

14 hours ago, 10der said:

Without sniffer it’s like suicide ;) 

IMHO .... yeah ... I agree ... with 88 device's you can have weirdness that is not going to show up in any tool except Zniffer

On 1/16/2022 at 6:12 PM, Jaanus45 said:

I have Heatit Z-Temp 2. Device is working good, but sometimes it freeze.

Sorry for asking the obvious, but you did not mention... Did you check with the manufacturer if your module is running on latest firmware?

With Zniffer you can see when this module sends data, which route it uses and if it arrives at its destination.

Edited by petergebruers
    • Like 1

• Inquirer
  • Hi.

I first time hearing about zniffer. What is the zniffer and where to get this.

many thanks to you for information

3 hours ago, Jaanus45 said:

What is the zniffer and where to get this.

Did you read the link that Peter posted above?

• Inquirer
  • 12 hours ago, Tim__ said:

Did you read the link that Peter posted above?

Yes I readed it. Now I understood what is zniffer. Only where I can buy this zniffer.

29 minutes ago, Jaanus45 said:

Only where I can buy this zniffer.

AFAIK you cannot buy a pre-flashed "Zniffer" but you can buy the Silabs dongle ACC-UZB3-E-BRG, for example, from DigiKey:

Then follow the instructions in this topic to flash the Zniffer firmware and download the Zniffer app (which looks a bit like "Wireshark" but it is a Z-Wave specific app)

Warning 1: Silabs likes to "move" things on their website, so the actual links may be out of date and it may take some time to find it. I haven logged on to their site for about a year so I cannot help.

Warning 2: make sure to order the right "region" of the dongle, the region is the letter in the part number. I selected a EU dongle for you.

In case you're in a different region:

ACC-UZB3-U-BRG               United States 908 MHz
    ACC-UZB3-E-BRG                Europe 868 MHz
    ACC-UZB3-H-BRG               Asia 920 MHz

(I bought ACC-UZB3-E-STA versions (STA version) two to get free delivery from Mouser: 

. Also a good place to get it in case elsewhere is not possible.)

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SmartHomeEddy said:

ACC-UZB3-E-STA

Yeah good to remind me... Indeed STA or BRG doesn't really matter because the only difference is the preinstalled firmware and we are nuking that anyway with Zniffer firmware.

Indeed STA or BRG. I use the second one (STA) for my (spare) Home Assistant setup.

Flashing and program installation is doable. 

• Inquirer
  • On 1/16/2022 at 7:12 PM, Jaanus45 said:

Hello,

I have Heatit Z-Temp 2. Device is working good, but sometimes it freeze. I thing sometimes not enough signal to HC3.

How do strenght signal in HC3.

Hello.

Where I get the sniffer_ZW050x_USBVCP.hex file

Please login or register to see this image.

/monthly_2018_04/image.png.cb41b3781e8686a04fa60c932ec1f486.png" />

2 hours ago, Jaanus45 said:

Where I get the sniffer_ZW050x_USBVCP.hex file

The general answer is somewhere in this topic, the short version is: you have to register an account on the Silabs Site and download the SDK (the right one) - then "search for it".

Quite a hassle! This is for legal reasons. It is not my idea of fun.

I'll send you a private message to get you started...