Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Let Google Home say text phrases

_Wilco_

Question

Hello,

Coming from Homey, I was used to announce different events by speech. Homey has a

Please login or register to see this link.

to do this. You can even set the Google Home devices which should be used.

Is this possible from the HC3, can I use castv2 in a QuickApp? Is it possible at all to use javascript in the HC3?

Thanks,

Wilco 

11 answers to this question

You can use Raspberry and contribCast node for acheaving this. 

1. Crate a QA that sends HTTP request to Raspberry with the desired text to be spoken

2. Create a NODE RED flow in raspberry with HTTP intput, and use 

Please login or register to see this link.

node for casting the text to google compatible speakers. You can change which device should be the text sent to, on what volume level , and some other options. see the NODE description. The really cool thing about this is, that you have the option in this node, to change the language. So if you want, you can broadcast in other languages than english. We are using this in many projects, as thre is no direct builtin alternative in Fibaro.

• Inquirer
  • @Neo Andersson Thanks for your reply.

I was aware of the "node-red" solution, I already have this up and running, but would prefer if it could be done directly from the HC3, like the homey does.

To bad we can't make our own plugins. For the price (compared to the Homey), I was expecting more. I am getting more and more doubts if it was a good choice to switch from Homey to Fibaro.

Thanks anyway 

What do you mean by own plugin? We can create Quick Apps. Really powerfull if it comes to coding.

Regarding Homey vs Fibaro. Well there is pro and contra on both sides. At this moment doesn't exist the "golden boy" in this industry.

You will find every system's faults at some point. It can be Homey, Fibaro, Hubitat, SmartThings, etc..doesn't matter, None of them is flawless.

And I can guess, you have left Homey for some reason..If it was soo good, you wouldn't change it off i think.

You can do a lot in Fibaro system. Not perfect, a lot areas to improve on, but its pretty reliable and steady system.

Sooner or later Zigbee, BLE will be also released, as the chips are built in, so just try to be a bit patient, come to the forum more frequently, check for ready plugins here..etc

Beenig you, I wouldn't go back to Homey....

• Inquirer
  • With own plugins I ment that if you could write plugins like the one's for Dahua, Denon, Logitech, etc., I could probably write my own plugin for castv2. I guess they are written on a lower level with something like C++ or JS.

I know all systems have their flaws. The Homey is still there and doing most of my automation (together with Node-Red). As I like to tinker with new toys, I thought it would be a nice project to rebuild my system and like I mentioned I was expecting something "extra" for this amount of money. And, which is off course my own fault, I also have lot of Zigbee devices and must have mist that Zigbee isn't supported yet. I probably only looked at the Logos and the headers. ?  

Like I said, I like to tinker, so I will investigate the possibilities of QA's and hope that Zigbee will be implemented soon. But for now the HC3 is not ready to replace my Homey.

34 minutes ago, _Wilco_ said:

With own plugins I ment that if you could write plugins like the one's for Dahua, Denon, Logitech, etc., I could probably write my own plugin for castv2. I guess they are written on a lower level with something like C++ or JS.

I know all systems have their flaws. The Homey is still there and doing most of my automation (together with Node-Red). As I like to tinker with new toys, I thought it would be a nice project to rebuild my system and like I mentioned I was expecting something "extra" for this amount of money. And, which is off course my own fault, I also have lot of Zigbee devices and must have mist that Zigbee isn't supported yet. I probably only looked at the Logos and the headers. ?  

Like I said, I like to tinker, so I will investigate the possibilities of QA's and hope that Zigbee will be implemented soon. But for now the HC3 is not ready to replace my Homey.

Yes, definitelly you can write your own plugins, QAs for other third party brands. There is a lot of them already downloadable in Fibaro.

I think castv2 is written in JS, so if you are familiar with Google API, you are half way to the goal.

If you once finish it, and will be functioning don't forget about me ?..I'd really love to try it.

Thanks

• Inquirer
  • Yes, castv2 is written in JS. So I could use JS for QA's?

That would be great. I will take a look.

Thanks

8 minutes ago, _Wilco_ said:

Yes, castv2 is written in JS. So I could use JS for QA's?

That would be great. I will take a look.

Thanks

No no, you can't. You can write the code only in LUA.

But coding in LUA is not too difficult. If you have some experiences in other languages, it is a matter of a week or so.

• Inquirer
  • Ok, I thought, because you said: 

59 minutes ago, Neo Andersson said:

Yes, definitelly you can write your own plugins, QAs for other third party brands.

I think castv2 is written in JS, so if you are familiar with Google API, you are half way to the goal.

Or did you mean I should port the castv2 from JS to LUA?

Yes, i meant, if you can, you might write a plugin in LUA that uses Google api. 

So we would be able to use HTTP reqest and send text directly to Google TTS service. (the same way as castv2 does in JS)

That would be perfect

5 minutes ago, _Wilco_ said:

Ok, I thought, because you said: 

Or did you mean I should port the castv2 from JS to LUA?

Exaclty

• Inquirer
  • Ok, clear. I'll look into it. Could be a good practice to get to know LUA. ?