Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Device Association

BarbaraL

The option from device association is necessary for the characteristic  of Zwave network of that any problem at the gateway, for example be without wi-fi, devices still working? Without a association devices will not work in cases like that? What is the difference at the network if we do not set the association between devices?

Thanks 

If your devices are communicating through Zwave network, they are using the Gateway to report their data to ecah other, because they are not directly connected. If you associate device1 with device2 it means, that device1 communicate with device2 directly, and the gateway is not involved in this communication. The second option ensures, that if there is a gateway failure,or gateway is ofline, device1 and device2 will still do their job that was defined between them. 

So the answers to you questions:

"...be without wi-fi, devices still working?" -- YES

"..the difference at the network..." - I am not a network expert, but i can bet, using associations will not have that big impact on zwave network, as if it was having the gateway involved.

Hope this helped.

Please login or register to see this link.

is a description of associations in Fibaro...

Edited by Neo Andersson

• Topic Author
  • Thanks for your reply @Neo Andersson, what I did not understand is:

In the case I be without wi-fi my z-wave network will keep working by itself or do I need to do this association to keep working? Or are two different things and I am mixing then?

Thanks again

If your WIFI is down, your ZWAVE is still working. No need of associations localy.

Of course remotely, throuh YUBII you won't be able to reach your gateway, as it is not on the internet when its offline.

Locally every ZWAVE functions will work.

14 minutes ago, Neo Andersson said:

Locally every ZWAVE functions will work.

I would like to add that IMHO it makes to own one or more key fobs or mains powered devices used as remote {double click -> scene activation) to trigger scenes on your HC. They work without wifi as you have said.

Please login or register to see this link.

I explained elsewhere why I discourage the use of direct associations... because there are several possible issues. Used scenes instead

Basically, on paper everything sounds good, but when you start to use them, you enter a world of pain. Key issues are: status reporting, toggling, transitivity, secure mode. And I probably forgot something. Oh... multicasting, making any kind of decision(eg light on if outdoor temp above X degrees)

I am going to oversimplify this, hoping to save you from going down a rabbit hole.

My rule of thumb: forget about associations. They are a remnant from the past. 15 years ago, "gateways" did not exist and a Z-Wave controller looked like a giant remote. It didn't have a fancy GUI. So simple associations like turn on and off or dim were very important. Because of the backwards compatibility of Z-Wave we still have (some) direct device to device associations.

That said, you can do some fancy or useful stuff... Did you now that you can program the +and - on a fib keyfob to directly dim up down a dimmer module?