Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Updating binary switch device property upon other device's state

Neo Andersson

Question

Hello guys,

THe goal is: I have a gate (switch_1) and a sensor (sensor_1). The gate is controlled by pressing switch_1, and the sensor_1 changes its value on gate states. So we have to update switch_1 property by sensor_1 states. This is not a big deal..

Actually i am raising this question, becuase maybe there is much efficient way of achieve this, like we did.

We did it like this:

1. We have created a QA in wihich we do the turn ON and turn OFF process of the switch_1, with simple fibaro.call(switch_1, "turnOn") call.

2. Then in QA we are listening to sensor_1 state change, and upon this change we set the QA's property to true or false / so user can see on the QA device state (/not on switch_1 state ) if the gate is open or not.

I am just wondering, is this the only way to do this, or is there any type of device, whos value can be updated on some otehr devices state without creating third QA ?

7 answers to this question

Short answer, no you can't. 

The binary switch (switch_1) controls the gate and when you turn it on it's state/value changes.

I guess you would like to have some delay? turn on and after a delay when sensor sees that gate is open, set the state of switch, but the switch was already on.

In a sense, the sensor's state reflects the state you want but you would like it in the same device (control + state) I presume.

....so, I guess a QA is the way forward (and maybe hide the switch and sensor)

There are QA's types that may be better or worse for the job. You would probably like to have many states;  start open, opening, fully open. To turn on the switch and nothing happens for a while may make people think it doesn't work.

• Inquirer
  • 7 hours ago, jgab said:

Short answer, no you can't. 

The binary switch (switch_1) controls the gate and when you turn it on it's state/value changes.

I guess you would like to have some delay? turn on and after a delay when sensor sees that gate is open, set the state of switch, but the switch was already on.

In a sense, the sensor's state reflects the state you want but you would like it in the same device (control + state) I presume.

....so, I guess a QA is the way forward (and maybe hide the switch and sensor)

There are QA's types that may be better or worse for the job. You would probably like to have many states;  start open, opening, fully open. To turn on the switch and nothing happens for a while may make people think it doesn't work.

Yeah, that is what we figured out too. It seems that there is no possibility to control switch device and its state separately. Whenever someone presses the switch , the value property changes..So we need to keep to do this with QA..

The problem is, that we want to find some solution, where user will have quick access to opening/closing actions, and that is at this moment buggy in Fibaro.

The normal ON/OFF button of a QA binary switch device in YUBII always opens the internal part of the quickapp..so it is missleading for the user, as he doesnt know why he sees the inner part, while he only wanted to open the gate, and not see the internal view /the power switch buttons..Thats why they many times press the ON/OFF in the internal part too, what makes the gate stop the opening/or closing process..and on the other hand it is slowing down the entire experience for the user..

I hope, that bug with QAs interface will be solved soon..at this moment it is working as it should in IOS devices, but in android, the inner part also loads and opens for the user..

Really frustrating, that among other lacks of functionalities we need to fight with these really ridiculous and cumbersome bugs in YUBII.

95% of customers dont want to work on PC...they bought a system to make their life and house smarter and smoother, and not to be waiting for some buttons to be shown..

Many times i got the question, why on earth would they make a smart gate in our system, when its opening (pressing a single open button) takes several seconds, comparing to their remote controllers that makes things happen in one click.

And they are right..

Thanks Jan for checking on this..

@Neo Andersson

Neo,... maybe my post will seem like an OT.
    I guess I didn't understand the original assignment, why do you solve it through QA? Need to change output status based on input without affecting output? I use SmartImplant for this. The output state can be pulsed. In the application, you can then have the status of the gate and the control side by side. I also liked the widgets, where you can control the scenes without having to open the application. Unfortunately, it is not possible to change the state of icons according to the state of scenes/devices. But, if the user comes to the gate, he will appreciate the quick response through the widget and see the status of the gate. If, on the other hand, he wants to control the gate remotely, he will still open the application and check the status (either in QA or on the list of devices)
    Regarding your request, I understand that QA is terribly slow and uncomfortable for quick action, but probably the only way to have All-in-one.

• Inquirer
  • The first problem is, that gate doesnt have /opened/closed state. We need a contact sensor to get this information. So there is an implant and a sensor, two separate devices. The gate opening/closing is handled by implant output, and because gate is working just on single pulse /not ON OFF, it means we need to set AUTO OFF in implant to make it work. And the sensor data determines the gate status. 

User wants to have everything in one button, where he can see the gate status, but also can control the gate. There is no ather way that doing this in QA.

If the QA interface wasnt buggy, this would be a kinda good solution, but as the QA interface is buggy / in android devices the QA switch always opens its inner part , the one with power switch buttons, so user dosnt have the quick acces to the switch, or to be presice, he has, but than the QA opens up.

Using widgets can be an alternative for just controlling the gate from the phone home screen, but first it is also buggy..(after one press it doestn load anymore), and by second, it is not accepted by customers, as they want to see the state of the gate, and you cant see.

So in one word, as JGAB mentioend, a real device state can not be updated on another device's action..however QA's state can be...we just need to wait,until Fibaro fixes this QA UI bug, then we can solve this by QA switch.

Thanks

• Like 1

Okay, what if you use a simple button in QA to trigger the function to open the gate (close the contact). You will then change the description of this button via self:updateView based on the state of the gate (input).
    Finally, the status can also be in a separate text field.
    This is how I change the status of c QA on the play/pause button and it works almost immediately.

Maybe I didn't understand it again, and the customer is not concerned with changing the status to open QA, but with an immediate change to the icon without the need to open QA, right? But I would also appreciate this.

Oh no...
    I just tried turning on SI output through the Yubi app. I have lighting installed on the exits. So I click on the lamp icon and instead of turning on the lamp, a window pops up with an On button and an Off button.... WTF.
    Is it a bug or a feature??.. this definitely happens after some update. Then it is clear that it will behave the same way with QA (stupid).
    My wife "eats" me.

• Inquirer
  • 10 hours ago, Martin_N said:

Oh no...
    I just tried turning on SI output through the Yubi app. I have lighting installed on the exits. So I click on the lamp icon and instead of turning on the lamp, a window pops up with an On button and an Off button.... WTF.
    Is it a bug or a feature??.. this definitely happens after some update. Then it is clear that it will behave the same way with QA (stupid).
    My wife "eats" me.

Yeah, all of my customers are calling me because of this...