Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Fibaro Dimmer 2 & Flos Aim Small Lights

Bruno Nunes

Hi All,

I'm trying to make a Fibaro Dimmer 2 to work with Flos Aim Small pendant lights. It has an integrated LED and Flos themselves sell it as dimmable (with a TRIAC Dimmer sold separately).

I was under the impression that Fibaro Dimmer was also TRIAC  and therefore assumed it would be fairly straightforward however, can't make that work at all. Can turn on and off but not dimm.

Does anyone have any experience in trying to fit Fibaro with Flos lights that can point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

If your light truly is dimmable using a triac, make sure you set the appropriate Dimmer 2 parameter to "leading edge" mode.

• Topic Author
  • Hi Tim

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately just changing that parameter doesn't do the trick.

I've installed the Dimmer 2 without a bypass and for some reason, after calibration I get param 1 (minimum brightness) at 57% with param 2 (max brightness) at 99%. Not only this but also the indication that the load is not dimmable when I've seen it working with Flos triac dimmers and works just fine.

Any other suggestion on what I might be missing here?

Appreciate the support :)

When you do the calibration, do you see the light slowly going through its dimming range? If not, the light and Dimmer 2 may just not be compatible. You can try forcing the Dimmer 2 to have a dimmable load (select dimmable and don't do a calibration) and see if that works. Otherwise I'm out of ideas, sorry...

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • Yeah when going through calibration the light indeed goes through the dimming range. Unfortunately param 33 "dimmability of the load" is a read only parameter so can't quite change that. Param 32 "On/Off Mode" seemed to be an option but having to dimm all the way up or down to do the on/off itself is not quite user friendly.

It is also weird that that the calibration sets it as trailing edge instead of leading edge. Forcing Param 30 "Load Control Mode" to be leading edge also doesn't do the trick unfortunately.

Thanks Tim for support, appreciate the time and ideas.

Anyone else has any idea for this?

Thanks

On 10/10/2022 at 11:21 AM, Bruno Nunes said:

I was under the impression that Fibaro Dimmer was also TRIAC

Dimmer 1 is a TRIAC dimmer, Dimmer 2 uses MOSFET

But Dimmer 2 can be set to TRIAC mode aka leading edge, as @Tim__ suggested

19 hours ago, Bruno Nunes said:

It is also weird that that the calibration sets it as trailing edge instead of leading edge. Forcing Param 30 "Load Control Mode" to be leading edge also doesn't do the trick unfortunately.

You don't need to do a "calibration" and what it does are merely "estimates".

If the autocal gets it wrong it does indeed usually mean "there is a problem" but still worth trying every individual parameter.

eg set param 1 (minimum brightness) to 1% and param 2 (max brightness) at 99%, Parameter 32: On/Off mode: "1 - forced trailing edge control" and so on... Check every parameter.

Dimmer 2 usually works without a "bypass" in 3 wire mode but you might need one if the LED stays on at low intensity or flickers when dimmer is off. If you have 2-wire setup you need one if the load is below 25 W according to the manual, in practice it might be a bit lower

Your values do not suggest 2 wire mode, I mean you or NOT using this diagram, right?

Please login or register to see this image.

/monthly_2018_03/5aa3fcdac4efe_Dimmer2-2-wireconnection.png.1b0e957586b02addc4c8ecfb123fc021.png" />

• Topic Author
  • Hi Petergebruers

Thanks a lot for your input and suggestions.

I'm using the 2-wire installation, with a slight variation when compared to the schema you've presented. I'm connecting both the dimm and the N wires directly to grid's "N" rather than Fibaro "N" to the same wire as "Sx"). Also, the load of the pendant is a 12W so the lack of a bypass might also be causing all this.

I will correct the installation and also install a bypass later this week. I'll update here if it solved the problem or not.

Once again, thanks a lot for your suggestions.

@Bruno Nunes

I don't want to be nasty, but the schematics in the manual are clearly given and you have several variants to choose from. Maybe try to draw how you have it connected, because I'm honestly not the wiser from your description. What are "connecting both the dimm..."?
    This module has only one dimmable output marked by a sinusoid with an arrow.
    If you write that you have a two-wire variant connected but with three wires, then we can give you all possible advice, and the problem outside the bypass may be something else entirely. I just hope you know what she's doing and we'll meet again on the forum.

Draw it as you have it connected, then we can advise! Old saying: a picture is worth a thousand words.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Topic Author
  • Hi Martin / All

Finally got time to do the necessary work around this - There has been a mistake installing the Fibaro Dimmer 2 and is now aligned with a 2-wire connection for a single switch as demonstrated by Petergebruers.

That alone didn't corrected my issue. The load is actually below 10w so, as Petergebruers also suggested and pointed out, I decided to install a bypass.

Voila! It's now working :)

Thank you all for your inputs and help with this.