Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Fibaro Door/Window Sensor 2 - Wrong battery level

COAT

Question

Hi all!
I have a problem with the battery reading of door/window sensor 2 in HC3L (5.120.10)
Once I installed the sensor, in dashboard the battery was at 50%.
After one week, the battery level was 0% (and that is strange).
So I replaced it.
For 1-2 secs the battery indicator was 100%....then it falled to 0%.
I tried with another battery and with another door/window sensor 2....but the results is the same.
Despite this, the sensor is working and it correctly notify me when the door is open and closed.

Why this behaviour in battery reading?
Is there a bug in my HC3L current firmware version?

5 answers to this question

@COAT, please contact Fibaro support at [email protected].

Please, prepare following:

- enable remote support.

- set installer access to [email protected]

- attach serial number of your HC3L to email with firmware version you have

- attach to email ID of the device.

I know all about that, I tested several devices and how they report battery level. The D/W 2 always sends 100%, then measures voltage and that second voltage is correct.

Your batteries my have "high internal resistance". Use a 82 or 100 ohm resistor as a load to the battery -  when you measure the voltages with a multimeter. Without load, these batteries might look OK but in reality they are not...

The FGK-102 aka Fibaro Door/Windows 2 Z-Wave Plus adds an interesting twist to the reporting...

I used a power supply to set exact voltages, then log the Z-Wave battery reports:

When I set voltage to 3.0 to simulate a cell that is about 1/2 full then turn the power on:

Please login or register to see this code.

The 100 arrives a few seconds after power on and is confirmed by Zniffer. About 12 seconds later a second report gets send containing 60, which is reasonable.

It is not a fluke, it is repeatable, when I try again (disconnect leads, reconnect leads, supply at 3 V):

Let's try 2.80 Volt:

Yep, "battery full" at power on then 12 seconds later "battery empty" (255 means empty, just like 0 means empty)

Let's do one more, to get an idea of how the V translates to %... This is 3.05V:

I did measure the time it takes for the Door Window 2 to detect a battery change: it is less than 2 seconds. I would say it is nearly impossible to swap batteries on this devices, without the device noticing the change, that is a good thing!

The device does send reasonable values after about 20 seconds.

The original topic I posted about batteries is here:

Edited by petergebruers
  • Like 1

• Inquirer
  • 16 minutes ago, petergebruers said:

I know all about that, I tested several devices and how they report battery level. The D/W 2 always sends 100%, then measures voltage and that second voltage is correct.

Your batteries my have "high internal resistance". Use a 82 or 100 ohm resistor as a load to the battery -  when you measure the voltages with a multimeter. Without load, these batteries might look OK but in reality they are not...

The FGK-102 aka Fibaro Door/Windows 2 Z-Wave Plus adds an interesting twist to the reporting...

I used a power supply to set exact voltages, then log the Z-Wave battery reports:

When I set voltage to 3.0 to simulate a cell that is about 1/2 full then turn the power on:

The 100 arrives a few seconds after power on and is confirmed by Zniffer. About 12 seconds later a second report gets send containing 60, which is reasonable.

It is not a fluke, it is repeatable, when I try again (disconnect leads, reconnect leads, supply at 3 V):

Let's try 2.80 Volt:

Yep, "battery full" at power on then 12 seconds later "battery empty" (255 means empty, just like 0 means empty)

Let's do one more, to get an idea of how the V translates to %... This is 3.05V:

I did measure the time it takes for the Door Window 2 to detect a battery change: it is less than 2 seconds. I would say it is nearly impossible to swap batteries on this devices, without the device noticing the change, that is a good thing!

The device does send reasonable values after about 20 seconds.

The original topic I posted about batteries is here:

That's very interesting, but how to fix this wrong battery reading? Is there anything to do or I have to wait a firmware update?

13 minutes ago, COAT said:

but how to fix this wrong battery reading?

Use a 82 or 100 ohm resistor as a load to the battery -  when you measure the voltages with a multimeter. Without such a resistive load, these batteries might look OK but in reality they are not...

If you measure 2.8 V or lower, your battery is really empty...

• Like 1

I have 7 door/window sensors from Fibaro, all installed about three weeks ago - five on windows and two on doors.

Right the same day the ones installed on windows reported very low batter (30%, 20% and three reporting 0%), but they still work fine.

The ones on the doors, where it's warmer (about 21degC) report 100%. And they are all on factory supplied batteries.

Is just the battery temperature the issue?

Please login or register to see this attachment.