Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Latest on 433Mhz device support ?

Node Central

Question

Hi

I’ve got a number of 433Mhz devices (Oregon Scientific Humidity/Temp Sensors mainly) that I’m running on a Raspberry Pi via an RFXCOM rfxtrx433 transceiver..

As support for 433Mhz on HC3 seems limited today, how best do I (A) track the progress on adding more support (additional to NICE 433Mhz devices etc) , and (B) what are my options for moving all my temp sensors off  my Pi and run them on my HC3 ? Many thanks..

9 answers to this question

@Node Central

A) watch progress?
You can watch here on the forum, in the Fibaro Update section always at the new FW for HC3.

K.Drozynski writes "release notes" in every new FW.
B) rfxcom on rpi
I don't know what to use for another SW on RPI for sensor display. If you have access to programming, you can certainly transform the receipt of the data from RFXCOM to JSON format. This can be read from HC3 via QA.
If you have Nodered installed on RPI, this can be done on it.
You can also have a installed MQTT broker and you can expose data to HC3 again.
But it takes a little programming.

• Inquirer
  • Hi @Martin_N,

is there any chance you could you point me to where I can find a definitive list of 433mhz devices and protocols that are supported on the HC3 ?

many thanks 

• Inquirer
  • Great, many thanks @Martin_N, how do we lobby Fibaro for additional support from some of the more popular 433Mhz devices out there, specifically Oregon Scientific, which I have a load of temp/Humidity sensors, I’d love to integrate ?

@Nod Central

Sorry, but you can forget about support for your 433MHz devices.

Fibaro will only open up that protocol for their own products.

That was one of the reasons I abandoned Fibaro and started with HomeAssistant which supports all my protocols. I have never regretted that choice.

• Inquirer
  • Thanks @RH_Dreambox, have they ever officially stated that as their position on 433mhz devices ?

Also, i noticed your footer says “A rebuilt HC2 running HomeAssistant” - was there a guide you followed for that ?

I'm just adding information... I'll probably avoid further questions.
    When Fibaro was founded in 2010/2011 and launched the HC2 on the market, it was based on the Z-Wave standard and quite a revolutionary solution. Small modules ready for "painless" installation for fans who wanted to have some automation in an already finished house. Now let's skip any labor pains.
    Until then, automation installations were the prerogative of specialized companies (I'm not talking about just electrical qualifications). There was no HomeAssistant in the world yet.
    Later, a radio for Zigbee and 433MHz appeared in the upcoming HC3, which made Fibaro a "rich bride" for NiCE in the upcoming fusion.
    It is more than logical that 433Mhz is locked to protocols for NiCE.
    Abbreviation, "Fibaro = Zwave" + NICE.
    And this is also the reason why Zigbee will never be a priority. It's more of a marketing ploy to stay in business, how to sell more Z-Wave modules, how to sell more HC3. If Zigbee will at least work somehow, it is a plus, thanks to which the sales of the Zwave module will decrease, but it will certainly maintain the sales of a controller such as the HC3.
    There are still and will be enough DIY users who prefer to take a ready-made box (HC3) and start using it, who are not skilled enough to start installing HAS or similar systems and write their own scripts..

This is not a contribution against HAS.
    I'm just describing why I think that Fibaro has and will have an important place here.

• Like 1

@Nod Central

No there is no guide for this, but the most difficult part was to disassemble my old HC2 because I wanted to use components that were glued to the box (push-button).
    Installing the new software was very easy as there are very detailed guides for different types of hardware.

At first I found HomeAssistant a bit difficult because I was still thinking Fibaro, but after a while I was building more advanced home automation than I could handle in Fibaro.
    So now I have Z-Wave, ZigBee, 433MHz, Influx, Grafana, Netatmo, Neato and much more in the same box and I have top performance and resources for much more.
    It's also easy to create your own custom dashboards for mobile, tablet or PC. You get you a layout that is decided by you and not by Fibaro.

When the HC3 was launched, I bought one because it was advertised as being equipped with ZigBee and 433MHz protocols. What they didn't tell you was that it would be over two years before ZigBee could be used (as a beta) and they didn't mention that 433MHz was only intended for their own products (NICE).
    I have made posts about 433MHz before, but only got the message that yes 433MHz is available, but only if you have NICE components.

So I started looking for a more modern system that could handle all my components and the choice fell on HomeAssistant.
    It is also the case as Martin_N says that there are buyers of the HC3 who are happy with what they get. And there are those who have made it a challenge to try to squeeze as much functionality as they can out of the relatively flimsy hardware. I was one of those users, but I got tired of it after two years.

• When the HC3 was launched, I bought one because it was advertised as being equipped with ZigBee and 433MHz protocols. What they didn't tell you was that it would be over two years before ZigBee could be used (as a beta) and they didn't mention that 433MHz was only intended for their own products (NICE).

Unfortunately you are right... 🥺