Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Dimm constant current LED

Jakub

Question

Hi, 

would it be possible to control somehow the brightness and white color temperature for the LED light with the attached driver? e.g. with two Fibaro dimmers? (one for the cold white and the other for the warm white)

(while the schematic on the driver suggests 3 types of cables are on the input, there are only two marked CW and WW)

Please login or register to see this attachment.

5 answers to this question

@Jakub

Hi.
the schematic doesn't indicate anything... it doesn't exist.
We only see the photo, there is some kind of driver in the photo.
This one has 230V at the input and already provides (probably PWM control) signals for cold white CW or warm white WW.
If there is no extra input on the driver (e.g. Dali, 0-10V,...) for control, I assume that control will be via RF, BLE, Wi-Fi, etc.

You certainly know the lighting manufacturer or this driver.
Some drivers are controlled by pulses at 230V (switched on/off several times).

Write type, manufacturer.

• Inquirer
  • It is from a ceiling light Eglo Romao (97784). And from factory it is controlled via a IR remote.

Before removing the provided LED light source and putting in some LED strips controllable by Fibaro RGBW, I wanted to see if these LED would be somehow z-wave controllable.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

@Jakub

I would probably limit myself to the functionality of controlling the light via the switch or the FGS relay module.
    Otherwise, it is necessary to remove the driver and replace it with a power source. Remove the LED modules and replace them with LED strips. Add an RGBW2 module from Fibaro, or some others depending on the type of LED strip. In another post I mentioned that I tested RGB+CCT from Milight - Miboxer 039Z on Zigbee. They also have a separate 035Z controller for CCT tapes.
    As for building LED modules, they can be used. But the description of 250V on the Output scares me.
    It is necessary to measure how it is connected, what kind of LED modules it is. Somehow it doesn't seem to me that they would be connected in series-parallel like a light on a Christmas tree.

• Like 1

• Inquirer
  • Thanks for your advice! I'll probably go with the replacement of the LED modules with LED strips with the Fibaro RGBW2. Apart from the "waste" of these LED modules it seems like the most straight-forward solution.

As far as the RGB+CCT controller is concerned, it's a pitty there's no alternative in z-wave, but in this case RGBW is enough for me.

@Jakub

Here is the driver for CCT.

Please login or register to see this link.

It will come in handy if you want to keep the light function (brightness and bulb temperature control).
    Another solution is to use RGBW2 from Fibaro, connect CW and WW to two separate channels and thus emulate a CCT controller.
    Unfortunately no colors.