Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Keyfob Usecase: Gate opener?

Joystick

Question

Hi all,

I was recently getting a new Gate + adding a Smart Implant. Now, I was wondering if I could use the keyfob in my car when approaching the gate, to open it, not knowing if I will have a connection to the HC3 at that moment. 
Can I directly bind a key to the smart implant, bypassing the HC3?

Or how are you guys using this in similar usecases?

cheers

joystick

3 answers to this question

I don't have the keyfob, but it's user manual states it is a Z-Wave device and also supports Z-Wave association as does the smart implant. This allows you to associate the two devices where a button press on the keyfob could trigger the relay activation on the implant. This is through direct communication without going through the HC3.

I have pairs of stairway zwave light dimmers configured with associations. I did this so that if I move out of the house and take the hub with me or the hub becomes non functional the stairway lights will always work with their two dimmers on their own as long as there is power. The inverse consideration is that the keyfob would always be able to open the gate. You may want to consider if that is good for your situation.

I imagine that there are still options available to disallow permeant entry by manually reconfiguring the implant though the HC3 to remove the association. You could also add a rules dependency in conjunction with other devices that would require the HC3 to be present and any additional conditions be met but would not require you to connect to the HC3 with the keyfob. It all depends on what you really want to have happen.

Edited by RedRocketFire

KeyFob needs the zwave network, so it all depends on how fast keyfob can pick up the zwave network abd if that's before you want to push the button. 

I tried this scenario with my garage door and 9 out of 10 times it wasn't fast enough.

5 hours ago, emielstroeve said:

KeyFob needs the zwave network, so it all depends on how fast keyfob can pick up the zwave network abd if that's before you want to push the button. 

I tried this scenario with my garage door and 9 out of 10 times it wasn't fast enough.

I did a test and unplugged my hub and my associated dimmers still worked. I noticed that the associated device was sluggish in it's response with the hub disabled so that was unexpected. I looked at the Z-Wave routes and see that the neighbor list shows the hub as the closest peer and the associated device is 7th in the list. I am not sure if I am looking at the data correctly but I would say that it would be ideal for me if the associated device was the first neighbor in the list. I think this is difficult to change however since the devices are building the lists based on response time and there is not a way to change these or add static rules.