Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

9 m long LED Strip (Mono) connecting options

Tzim

Question

Hi,

Could somebody advice which from below options is better for connecting 24 V, 14.4 W/m, 9 m long LED stripe (white only, dimmable with led color 2700 - 5000 K, manufacturer Klus KWP-27/50-1440-24):

1. Using one Power Supply (for example Mean Well HLG-150H-24B) connected to RGBW Cont. and separating LED stripe to 2 sections (4.5 m each) connected to Out 1 and Out 2.

2. Using two Power Supplies (for example Mean Well HLG-60H-24B) and two RGBW Cont. LED stripe would be separated to 2 sections (4.5 m each) and connected to PSU/RGBW Cont. one and two.

Assume, that proposed PSU from Mean Well, will work correctly with Fibaro and will allow to dim LEDs and change their color.

Asking the question as I assumed, that I cannot just simply connect 9 m long LED stripe to RGBW Cont. Out 1 and RGBW Cont. to Mean Well PSU as LEDs at the end of stripe will not receive sufficient power.

thanks

9 answers to this question

Meanwell power supplies are good, but you've chosen a LED driver. This may not work, as the Fibaro already has a driver built in. Get a standard Mean Well 24V power supply instead.

Given it is colour changing, I'm not sure how the LED strip will connect to the Fibaro. Does it use two channels? Check this out as it's not a standard configuration in the RBGW manual.

The total load of the strip is within spec of the Fibaro device. So (assuming the above question works out) I would go with your option 1.

You are right be to concerned about progressive fading of the light strip. One thing you can do is to feed the strip from both ends. Test this out (at night) before you install.

• Inquirer
  • @Tim_ Many thanks for valueable reply. Very helpful.

By standard Mean Well, you think for example on HLG-150H-24A (not B version which I stated above)? Or sth different?

Good point on changing color. I thought, that will be easily possible by app, but now I’m not sure at all.

What do you mean by feeding strip from both ends? Connecting wires on both ends of 9 m strip and connecting both of them to Power Supply?

Both Mean Wells you linked are Led Drivers. A Led driver has a constant current output, and sometimes dimming as well.  This will interfere with the Fibaro device, which does these functions.  A Power Supply has a constant voltage output.  I use the Mean Well DIN rail mount power supplies

Please login or register to see this link.

, but you could use other form factors instead.  Something like this 

Please login or register to see this link.

should work if you were after an adaptor style (just cut off the plug).

Yep, you got the feeding from both ends correct.

• Inquirer
  • Thanks again Tim.

I think I understand what I need now. Assume, for ex. LPV-150-24 will work as well.

What only bothers me is the color changing. I asked Fibaro directly, if that can be done.

I’ll share my case when I’ll finish installation :)

@Tzim

Hello.
    I see that you ONLY need to activate the RGBW strip. Now, in the last post you write that you want colors, from that I conclude that you are operating in RGBW mode.
    However, in the first post you ask about the possibility of control via two outputs, i.e. in the white mode?. I understand that you had a problem with the efficiency of the belt (with regard to voltage drops).
    You will find out in the manual that at 24VDC it is possible to connect a belt with a power of up to 288W. At 14.4W/m and a length of 9m, you are well below the current load limit of the module.
    The only thing you have to do is (and a colleague already advised you here) connect the strap to the RGBW2 module from both sides.
    So, connect all 4 wires and the +24V power supply to the beginning and end of the belt. If this is not enough for you and you can see the weakened power of the belt, connect the wires to the middle part of the belt as well. You can also divide it into 2/2 and feed each part in the previous way at the beginning and at the end. You can reduce everything to one RGBW2 as I wrote before.

@Tzim

Another little calculation.
    14.4 x 9 = approx. 130W, which is about 87% of the load of your 150W power source.
    I know from experience that this is a very small reserve and you should consider a larger (more powerful) source.
    Also watch out for the starting current. (Inrush) and heating of the source during operation.

eM.

• Inquirer
  • @Martin_N

Thanks for your additional input.

LED strip, that I would like to use is CCT, so I would like to change/adjust temperature of white color. That is not RGBW strip, it’s white with possibility to change temperature from 2700K to 5000K.

Unfortunately, I have just received negative feedback from Fibaro support. RGBW Controller 2 is not supporting this type of strip :(

You can still achieve grades of white using an RGBW strip. You obviously can do plenty of other colours as well. If you already bought that white strip, just chalk it up as a learning experience. 

@Tim__

Ah,... so it's only warm white and cold white, i.e. CCT belt.
    I misunderstood the first post where you actually mentioned it.
    Yes, unfortunately the RGBW2 module does not support CCT LED strips (in the sense of color mixing), but it can be approached as two separate channels. The mutual combination of warm or cold intensity (Channel 1 and Channel 2) achieves the desired color temperature. A scene or QA could be awarded for it.
    Note: in my case, it is more complicated, because I have RGB+CCT strips, i.e. 5 channels, which RGBW2 does not have. I had to use another solution. But the Zigbee controller also works (After modifications in QA).