Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

FGS-214 smart module - wiring

skywalker

Question

I just installed my first smart module, after having many single and double switches.

The wiring in the manual is confusing, for me...

Please login or register to see this image.

/monthly_2023_06/1975991741_IMG-20230602-WA00572.jpg.322bfb179b2c3b96adfcef6fe827e1e9.jpg" />

I have installed it the way i understand it, works ok to control the light from the app, but does not work with the switch on the wall. I have the live to switch (same live to L and IN) and the exit of the switch to S1...

The wiring of the single switch is more clear and never had an issue with them..

805841537_IMG-20230602-WA00582.jpg.cf0fc38ac7affa14e798e87e130b9b66.jpg

Can someone explain a little bit the wiring on FGS-214 smart module, preferably when controlling a light? I need control of the wall switch, also ..

I just learned from the forum that fibaro doesn't recommend it for lights...but too late :). Anybody used it smart somewhere? I was surprized to see that this one does not have a subforum on fibaro products.

11 answers to this question

@skywalker

Maybe the diagram could be painted better, but anyone who has been touched by electricity will understand it.
Better call an electrician, it's life if you don't know what he's doing.

To answer your question: connect phase "L" to one pole of the switch-off and connect the other pole of the switch-off to terminal S1. The same applies to the other switches, one pole to L, the other to S2.
Of course, terminal L will also be connected to the phase.
And all that remains is IN. If. and output Q will have light, connect IN to phase L.
Everything according to the scheme.

• Inquirer
  • If you read above, it is exactly what i have done and doesn't work with the switch, only by app.

And thanks for the advice with the electrician :). I have installed all my devices (around 35 + even more VD) myself, including several fibaro switches... So i would say i can connect two wires. Nevertheless, any advice is welcome, therefor also yours!

Do not use S2 input. S1 input will control Q output. It will be enough to set the switch type in the parameter settings.

• Inquirer
  • Not being a double smart module, a have connected to light the Q and the S1 to switch. S2 is free. 

I have also changed from advanced options between momentary switch, toggle switch on/off, toggle switch with memory, the same, switch doesn't work. 

These smart modules are too smart :(...

Anybody uses them in any way? Maybe i find a different use and buy another single switch for this light.

@skywalker

Okay, so I'll add the information you also have in the manual.
    It is necessary to set parameter 20/(21) depending on whether you have a toggle switch or a momentary switch. I assume the problem here.
    Why have the button on S2 also connected (if you have a double button installed on the wall, otherwise it makes no sense): because you can use the second button to control some scene.

eM.

@skywalker chacha .. you were faster by a second.

10 minutes ago, skywalker said:

Not being a double smart module, a have connected to light the Q and the S1 to switch. S2 is free. 

No no no... you don't connect S1 to output Q!!!!
    S1 works against phase L. As it is in the diagram.

Or i dont understand what you wrote?

Edited by Martin_N

• Inquirer
  • S1 is the entry from the switch.

I have connected like this:

- N - null

- L - phase

- IN - Phase (bridge from L)

- Q - phase going to the light (null gies directly to light)

- S2 - free

- S1 - has phase when switch is on (phase entry directly in switch)

I am on the edge of giving up with this smart module and go back to single switch, hoping to still find one...

Later edit: finally worked.

I rechecked everything, after changing the options of the switch (momentary, toggle...) I had changed also the S1 with S2 ( it's an option if you wire incorrectly, not to be forced to open everything). And left this by mistake and then all the troubleshooting done....with wrong setting. 

So I think for me was an error of config, when I put the correct switch, i missed another setting that i have tried before!

Thanks for the advices! Happy in the end!

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Edited by skywalker

@skywalkerI've several FGS-224 Double Smart Modul in use with the two channels. Not the FGS-214 with one channel. Beside that, it should behave the same. They are working OK.

What I don't like with the smart modules, they can't measure the power load. Only calculate. 

The FGS-214 should be working with connections you've mentioned above. 

Try exclude / include the modul again and try with or without security.

• Inquirer
  • Finally made it work, wrote above.

Do you use double smart module for lights or found something else to do with them? Looking for ideas :)

Edited by skywalker

On 6/3/2023 at 8:36 AM, skywalker said:

I just installed my first smart module, after having many single and double switches.

The wiring in the manual is confusing, for me...

Please login or register to see this link.

I have installed it the way i understand it, works ok to control the light from the app, but does not work with the switch on the wall. I have the live to switch (same live to L and IN) and the exit of the switch to S1...

The wiring of the single switch is more clear and never had an issue with them..

Personally, I think Smart is a stupid name,  It's actually a relay.  So you can use it to switch a different voltage than the mains. IN is the voltage that you are going to switch to Q.  In one of my use cases, I am switching 24VAC (to Q), but the L is 230VAC.  And because it's a relay, it can not measure the power consumption.

30 minutes ago, RohitNz said:

Personally, I think Smart is a stupid name,  It's actually a relay.

I think they didn't have any more ideas, because there already is a relay switch the FGS-212

Edited by SmartHomeEddy