Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

fan control beta

Guest Kuuno

Question

Guest Kuuno

this is something i did today for one of our projects. It works together with Fibaro relay modules.

The purpose is to change fan speed with no electronic noise and control everithing from HC2

so far works like a charm!

it has possibility to set manually different setpoints for speed and then control them over HC2.

the manual setting is useful as there are different types of fan motors(different W)

with one 2x1,5 relay i can have 3 different speeds w 2 - 6 speeds and etc...

Please login or register to see this attachment.

13 answers to this question

Guest Kuuno
  • Inquirer
  • i will draw one later but it is really simple

you need 1,2 and 4 uFarad capacitors (min 250V)

~470k resistors

you connect capacitors and resistors in parallel to fan L wire

the bigger capacitor the faster the fan will go

i had to use 2x1uf capacitor to get 100w fan going

so in my case:

relay outpu1 connects 2uf capacitors to fan L wire

relay output 2 connects 3uf capacitors to fan wire L

and both relays ON will make total 5uF

ill post picture in the evening

Kuuno, Its been about a year. I am still finding a solution how can I control Fan speed with fibaro devices. Can you throw some lights on the same.

I'm using Fibaro dimmer to control fan speed in my bathroom. In my case value 55 is the lowest rotating speed and 99 is the highest.

I'm using Fibaro dimmer to control fan speed in my bathroom. In my case value 55 is the lowest rotating speed and 99 is the highest.

Hi skyroger2, I read somewhere that using dimmer will disable use of manually controlling the fan speed. Is that the case or the manual functionality is not touched with this?

Hi skyroger2, I read somewhere that using dimmer will disable use of manually controlling the fan speed. Is that the case or the manual functionality is not touched with this?

You can control fan speed manually also using Momentary(bell switch) switch single or Up/down type. If you can find a switch some thing like this

Please login or register to see this link.

(Push to make contact) it would be ideal. Kuno's example is for preset speed choice.

That a great idea Kuuno, can you please post a detailed explain? 

Please as detail as possible because I have really little experience about electricity.

Thank you for your time.

You could also just buy an insteon FanLinc (you also need an inexpensive Insteon hub) for $60, and control it through the Insteon API.

Thank you but the problem is my country use 220v electric system, on Fanlinc spec it's 120VAC, Single Phase.

Does it work?

Thank you but the problem is my country use 220v electric system, on Fanlinc spec it's 120VAC, Single Phase.

Does it work?

Probably your safest bet would be to email smarthome and ask them if they have a 220 solution...

Yes, that's exactly i'm using - momentary switch + dimmer

Hi, I came across this post. I've wired up 3 rooms with ceiling fans with dimmer2 modules. they work like a charm, but the motor is seriously noisy. this means the motor is taking strain and if i google connecting any dimmer to a ceiling fan, its extremely dangerous(fire) and will most likely damage the motor. 

How did you wire it ? something im missing ?